• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Charged Playground

maxmars

Hello everybody,

there's been a nice amount of interest about the online part of Mario Strikers Charged so far. There's a reason for that: it's really fun! :D

We're doing a World Cup which is going very well thanks to the people participating, but that made very clear that skills make a world of difference in this game, and matches can end very.. Unfavourably for the less skilled players.

Worried about a possible bleeding of players and, most importantly, worried that someone could not have fun because of the overly competitive environment, I have been discussing privately with some of you about possible remedies.

Let's just say that we probably, as a community, don't want to "break" the little nice toy that's the official cup. There's some skilled people, and we would all like to see them play at their best, fighting all out for the cup. Now that we've had the first games uploaded to Youtube (I've really enjoyed them), I'm curious to see what else you guys can come up with. :D

In addition to that there should be, methinks, a community "thing" that could let all novices, weekend players, lapsed players, whoever else have a moment to play together and learn from each other (possibly having fun in the process). Fun and relax should be the main stress of this thing, as competition is already in the World Cup.

NLi10 proposed, and I liked it from the start, to have fixed meeting dates in the week, in which everybody is free to come online and expect to find other GAF players to play against. This is the core idea.

Perhaps we could have mentoring sessions, where a novice "reserves" a skilled player as a teacher and they play a bit, then they come back and discuss here about mistakes and whatever else.

Or perhaps I'd like to test a formation and ask someone else to try to counter it.

Possibilities are endless, but the important thing is that players have a harbour where to dock in addition to (or instead of) participating to the world cup.

What do you guys think?

Please note that I don't want to steal the thunder from the world cup. It's just a mean to keep a steady flow of players coming in and staying in the game. It's a win-win situation for everyone!

I myself will of course enlist in all the world cups that will be set up, be it by me or whoever else, in the future. This is not a way to disassociate myself from the fine people that have played the world cup. I know this disclaimer isn't needed, but I wanted to be very clear about it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just to post some hints from the world cup thread.

A friend of mine who also owns the game and me are sometimes talking about some things in the game and how the other one doesnt know that. Here is the list what one of us didnt know (maybe one or two of you also dont know about that):

1. You can shake the Nunchuk to disturb the other one when he "Megastrikes"

2. If the opponent passes the ball through the air you can steal the ball by pressing Z + A or Z+B if you are standing in front of the player who will get the ball. These moves make the character jump and catch the ball. Z+A is passing and Z+B is shooting. (I once could make it to steal the ball with Z+B and directly shoot the goal :D )

3. If you are shooting and loading the ball you can still use the moves on your Digipad (Evasion moves) to get by the enemies attacks. Then you have to charge the Shot again but you evaded (If timed correctly). However you CANT use these moves if your captain uses the megashot. So decide before its too late whether you want that shot or not.

4. You can also load the ball by pressing B (Shot) and then press A or Z+A to pass the powered ball to another player. Very good if you are in your half and nobody is attacking you so you can charge, pass and score or if you are trying to shoot and see that the opponents coming. So you can still keep the charged ball when you are passing.

5. If the ball was shot at the Goalie and the ball flies back to you you can use Z+B to try to get the ball over the goalie. Often Kritter (the goalie) stumbles and falls if hes to far away from his goal.

6. Okay that may sound a bit... logical.. but my friend played through the Crystal cup and didnt know that. If you a shooting you can press the analog stick in that direction to give the ball a spin.

7. Some of the special moves of the minor characters are also getting stronger when the ball is fully charged. -> Dry Bones, Boo and mabe all the "jumping" moves. They dont actually jump higher, faster or whatever. But I got the impression that if you tried to jump over the goalie with a charged ball it was more succesfull than with an uncharged one (I made a 10 min match where I just tried to jump over the goalie with charged and uncharged balls)

8. You can get items by charging/shooting OR when the opponent fouls you without your character having the ball. It DOESNT matter whether you use the "foul-move" or the "steal-move" In both cases the opponent gets an item if they dont have the ball when you foul.

9. If you have 2 Items you can change the order of use by shaking the Nunchuk.

Some things I said to another player:
First of all you have to train the use of items more. I think they can make a really big difference if you just keep an open Eye on yours and the opponents Items. For Example to try a Special shot when nobody is in Range for kicking you is okay. But if he still has a koopa shell you should just wait until he used that. Then try to just use Items either if you know you will score or if you have to defend yourself from a 100% goal. You used them in the field sometimes to just get rid of my other people without doing something harmful for my goal :)

Theeen the abilities of you characters and to know how to use them. Dry Bones is able to roll into the goal if the ball is charged (then he rolls farther) and all the moves with which you can evade your opponents attacks. You can train in the online matches how the others are behaving and then evade their attacks. For example I am shooting with Koopa and know you will attack me then I am using the "Evade move" from Koopa in just that moment and shoot again.

And last train the Megastrikes =) Maybe put up some Vs Matches against the AI and let them do hard megastrikes as fast as they can.

R0nn

Maybe it's a good idea to arrange some central chatroom where we can all meet up (like IRC)? Or maybe we could exchange IM accounts (through PM for example)? That would greatly improve communication.

R0nn

There is, but I don't think they would take kindly us invading the channel with our constant blabbering about the game. :lol

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Na, it's better to discuss in forums. healthier pace combined with the game.

I'm all for it but sunday is really the only day I can commit myself to definetly playing online for a larger amount of time.

R0nn

maxmars said:
Do you think they would mind if we opened a new channel, eg #msc?

Sorry for the late reply, but I don't think they'd really mind. It's a completely different channel, so no problem.

Top Bottom