• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Darkman M

I hope MS markets this game like they should, maybe it's me but i dont see any buz going on outside of gaf right now. Uncharted, assassins creed and Mario galaxys are all getting alot more shine as far as promotion goes so far.

FFChris

Darkman M said:
I hope MS markets this game like they should, maybe it's me but i dont see any buz going on outside of gaf right now. Uncharted, assassins creed and Mario galaxys are all getting alot more shine as far as promotion goes so far.

For a game as big as this one, I think the thread with the 140 crappy pictures on it got posted in faster than this offical thread. Very sad.

tehbear

FFChris said:
For a game as big as this one, I think the thread with the 140 crappy pictures on it got posted in faster than this offical thread. Very sad.

I don't think post rate in a thread is indicative of much. I mean GAF hype and market hype don't always overlap perfectly. The hype from the brick and mortar appear to be there, at least all the ones around town here are pushing this game pretty hard.

Eric WK

Darkman M said:

Someone didn't see the Google comparisons.

Seriously, though... I remember hearing that Microsoft was planning a Gears-level marketing campaign for this game. I really hope that comes to fruition.

for the commercials...do you think they push VISUALS...or do they show some shooter elements

I think it goes the route of COD4 and just hits you over the face with its looks

Eric WK said:
Someone didn't see the Google comparisons.

Seriously, though... I remember hearing that Microsoft was planning a Gears-level marketing campaign for this game. I really hope that comes to fruition.

I bet it will be the opposite. Since Mass Effect isn't a "shooter", and it's just a "niche-y RPG" they will market it slightly less than they did with Viva Piñata.

Just my guess, as MS fucks everything up, and it's not in their nature to learn from their mistakes. Too bad though, because this game, and the team at Bioware that made it, deserves a year's worth of marketing funds to promote it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
jordan0386 said:
for the commercials...do you think they push VISUALS...or do they show some shooter elements

I think it goes the route of COD4 and just hits you over the face with its looks

Almost certainly, they'll try and do everything possible to hide the fact that it's an RPG, lots of action cutscene shots, play on the 'humanities greatest living soldier' angle, basically try and make it seem as much like Halo as possible.

yukoner

Micromegas said:
I bet it will be the opposite. Since Mass Effect isn't a "shooter", and it's just a "niche-y RPG" they will market it slightly less than they did with Viva Piñata.

Just my guess, as MS fucks everything up, and it's not in their nature to learn from their mistakes. Too bad though, because this game, and the team at Bioware that made it, deserves a year's worth of marketing funds to promote it.

According to Bioware they are expecting virtually the same treatment as GOW.

Ray Muzyka said:
The good thing about being first-party is that you have the commitment from the hardware manufacturer themselves to maximize the return on the game.

You look at what they did for Gears of War last year, and they’re planning a sort of similar thing for Mass Effect this year, and it’s great to be part of that.
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1886/BioWare-Talks-Mass-Effect-Part-1/p1/

This is MS's big title for the holidays, expect a MASSIVE marketing push.

yukoner

Ghost said:
Almost certainly, they'll try and do everything possible to hide the fact that it's an RPG, lots of action cutscene shots, play on the 'humanities greatest living soldier' angle, basically try and make it seem as much like Halo as possible.

KOTOR was a top seller on Xbox1. And ME is WAY more of an action title than KOTOR was.

I don't think MS needs to worry about it not selling due to it's RPG elements.

Zzoram

The problem is it's easy to put a 20 second snippit of action and fighting in a commercial. It's hard to put the conversation system and skill system into 20 seconds.

Zzoram

yukoner said:
KOTOR was a top seller on Xbox1. And ME is WAY more of an action title than KOTOR was.

I don't think MS needs to worry about it not selling due to it's RPG elements.

KOTOR did have the advantage of being STAR WARS branded.

yukoner

Zzoram said:
KOTOR did have the advantage of being STAR WARS branded.

True true.

But ME has the advantage of being on the software selling bohemoth known as the 360.

I dunno, I expect a very cinimatic trailer really. The story is where this game sets itself apart, so I'd expect them to highlight that, with lots of purty graphics.

Basically, it should look exactly like a movie trailer for star wars...that's my guess.

Zzoram

yukoner said:
True true.

But ME has the advantage of being on the software selling bohemoth known as the 360.

I dunno, I expect a very cinimatic trailer really. The story is where this game sets itself apart, so I'd expect them to highlight that, with lots of purty graphics.

Basically, it should look exactly like a movie trailer for star wars...that's my guess.

I hope so. I want this game to succeed so I can play the whole trilogy :D

The game practically markets itself. Just show some in game footage, have some explosions, techno music, deep voice that says "Mass Effect...", end with the xbox logo... ??? profit.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm strangely concerned for the sales of this game.

But then I was worried about Bioshock and look how that turned out.

Zzoram

jetjevons said:
I'm strangely concerned for the sales of this game.

But then I was worried about Bioshock and look how that turned out.

I'm much more worried about Mass Effect sales than Bioshock, as Mass Effect is a better game and less mainstream.

Maybe Microsoft's strategy with the game has changed now that BioWare is with EA. Perhaps they don't feel like pushing it as hard now. Who knows.

RumFore

Banned
HocusPocus said:
Maybe Microsoft's strategy with the game has changed now that BioWare is with EA. Perhaps they don't feel like pushing it as hard now. Who knows.

Same thing I figured. Game seems out of sight really unless they are waiting until the last minute.

HocusPocus said:

It would be interesting what is being said in the MS boardroom in regards to this matter, I felt that with PGR4 MS did not give the game the push, or indeed the release slot, it deserved. Whether this had anything to do with Bizarre running off to Activision... ?

I'd also love to know what sort of wrangling is going on behind the scenes in regards to the destination of Mass Effect 2. I suppose Jan 2008 will make everything a bit clearer.

Zzoram said:
I'm much more worried about Mass Effect sales than Bioshock, as Mass Effect is a better game and less mainstream.

How is sci-fi action RPG less than mainstream than an FPS with slight RPG elements in an environment that's totally weird, in which you save little girls. Halo and Gears has proven sci-fi works on the 360.

Zzoram

GenericPseudonym said:
How is sci-fi action RPG less than mainstream than an FPS with slight RPG elements in an environment that's totally weird, in which you save little girls. Halo and Gears has proven sci-fi works on the 360.

Mass Effect has a lot more RPG, and that's intimidating to the casual shooter crowd. Bioshock still plays a lot like a straight up shooter. I almost never used plasmids my first time through the game.

Nolan.

Zzoram said:
They won't feature that in the commercial.

Or will they? :lol

If only... I mean if they can go on about shooting in a building that resembles a church here who knows what they might say at a lesbo commercial. ''Omg teh scandal news at 10 the global giant ms is selling a game condoning lesbianism...not only that but the ad features lesbians doing stuff in what appears to be a room that looks just like one that exists in our own world as evident from a light bulb''. Or they could try and do it to stirr up interest, scandal and attention I would like if they did it though.

sionyboy said:
It would be interesting what is being said in the MS boardroom in regards to this matter, I felt that with PGR4 MS did not give the game the push, or indeed the release slot, it deserved. Whether this had anything to do with Bizarre running off to Activision... ?

Yes, PGR4 did certainly not get the marketing and community support from Microsoft that Forza 2 got. And this even when the PGR brand will remain 100% owned by Microsoft. Now, the Mass Effect IP will be owned by EA. Why would Microsoft pour millions of marketing into an IP that it does not own?

yukoner

BrokenSymmetry said:
Now, the Mass Effect IP will be owned by EA. Why would Microsoft pour millions of marketing into an IP that it does not own?

Are people forgetting that MS does not own the IP to Gears of War either?

It really depends whether they still have publishing rights for the whole trilogy.

If so, they have tremendous motive to market the hell out of the first title, so that numbers 2 and 3 are surefire blockbusters.

BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, PGR4 did certainly not get the marketing and community support from Microsoft that Forza 2 got. And this even when the PGR brand will remain 100% owned by Microsoft. Now, the Mass Effect IP will be owned by EA. Why would Microsoft pour millions of marketing into an IP that it does not own?

Because they are under contract to do so? Microsoft is the sole publisher of this game, thus they get the lion share of the profit why would they want to lessen their own profit?
PGR4 did get stepped on by Halo, but it had a sizable advertising campaign, and MS must have looked at its sales in a longer-term scale given how mass-market it is.

Stop the tinfoil-hatting, MS isn't going to assassinate one of their prime games this holiday, the ip changing hands is meaningless because MS never owned the ip in the first place.

And with the changing of executives recently between the xbox divion and EA do you think they won't come to some agreement keeping exclusivity for the future games? I'm pretty sure they will given low rate that the PS3 has been moving software and Bioware's desire to keep development streamlined.

Commercials are supposed to start gearing up in a few days.

Subarushian said:
Because they are under contract to do so? Microsoft is the sole publisher of this game, thus they get the lion share of the profit why would they want to lessen their own profit?
PGR4 did get stepped on by Halo, but it had a sizable advertising campaign, and MS must have looked at its sales in a longer-term scale given how mass-market it is.

Stop the tinfoil-hatting, MS isn't going to assassinate one of their prime games this holiday, the ip changing hands is meaningless because MS never owned the ip in the first place.

And with the changing of executives recently between the xbox divion and EA do you think they won't come to some agreement keeping exclusivity for the future games? I'm pretty sure they will given low rate that the PS3 has been moving software and Bioware's desire to keep development streamlined.

Commercials are supposed to start gearing up in a few days.

pipedream, bro

E

A

i was under the impression that ms owned the ip rights to both gears of war and mass effect. if they do not, what's to stop epic from putting gears of war 2 on both the 360 and the ps3? combine this with the fact that they just "set bungie free" and what are they left with? rare? christ...

Uncle

MikeHaggar said:
i was under the impression that ms owned the ip rights to both gears of war and mass effect. if they do not, what's to stop epic from putting gears of war 2 on both the 360 and the ps3?

MS has a right of first refusal deal with Epic for the Gears sequel.

sionyboy said:
MS won't let Mass Effect slip idly by, its part of their 'holy trinity' for their ad campaigns this Christmas, I'm sure by next week we'll see the marketing machine start to spin up.

*singing choir voices*
HolyTrinityofGaming.jpg

ME doesn't come out for another two weeks. I've seen print ads for it for several months in EGM, GI, and OXM. I don't recall ever seeing a TV ad for a game more than two weeks before it came out. I fully expect to see a TV ad blitz once it nears release.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
RPS37 said:
Patiently awaiting another hype-filled post from Che.

He's playing as we speak, so he may have some new tidbits to bless/cock tease us with tonight.

SnakeXs said:
He's playing as we speak, so he may have some new tidbits to bless/cock tease us with tonight.
Depending on how much advertising and Che's impressions have a coupled impact, forum hype on this game could go into critical mass faster than Bioshock happened.

Zzoram

Mr. Spinnington said:
Depending on how much advertising and Che's impressions have a coupled impact, forum hype on this game could go into critical mass faster than Bioshock happened.

I still have a nagging feeling that this game isn't going to sell as well as Bioshock. Too bad.

Blader

Zzoram said:
I still have a nagging feeling that this game isn't going to sell as well as Bioshock. Too bad.

Most people here had a nagging feeling that Bioshock wasn't going to sell at all. I think Mass Effect will be okay.

Zzoram said:
Bioshock had August all to itself, outside of MP3 which was vastly ignored by many a gamer aside from the weeks before to after it was released.

November is a fucking battleground, just look inside your wallet.

Zzoram

Blader5489 said:
Most people here had a nagging feeling that Bioshock wasn't going to sell at all. I think Mass Effect will be okay.

The difference is nothing of note came out in August on 360. November has COD4 and Assassin's Creed and Rock Band to suck wallet dollars.

Top Bottom