• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive set-back for Saudi Arabia's "Muslim Coalition Army"

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Earlier this week Saudi Arabia announced a new 34-country coalition of Muslim nations to fight terrorism, but two of the key countries have said they had no idea they were involved.

The countries from Asia, Africa and the Arab world were combining their efforts to combat extremism, according to the Saudis, who have faced mounting pressure to step up efforts in addressing the threat of extremism.

Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary, Aizaz Chaudhry, has been quoted as saying he only learnt of his country’s inclusion in the alliance from news reports.

Despite being a long-term ally of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan has refrained from joining its military exploits, instead reaffirming its position of non-involvement in Middle Eastern conflicts. In November, army spokesman Lt Gen Asim Bajwa stated: “We are not looking for any involvement outside our region.”

Lebanon was also equally baffled country following the announcement, according to Lebanese media outlet Naharnet...Foreign Ministry was adamant they had no “memo or phone call mentioning this coalition.” They added they had :"No knowledge whatsoever of the issue of forming an Islamic anti-terror coalition."

The office also questioned whether the move encroached on their ‘constitutional jurisdiction on foreign affairs’.

More at this link.

I am relieved at Pakistan abstaining from this. In the initial announcement thread, I opined that Asian Muslims, especially from the -stan countries, should not get involved in Arab affairs, as doing so would paint a massive target on our backs by ISIS and other terror groups.

It was disappointing that it seemed like Pakistan didn't join the rest of us in the -stan countries from abstaining, but it turns out that it was merely a premature assumption on Saudi Arabia's part, with respect to Pakistan's participation.

I swear, sometimes it feels like Saudia Arabia views Pakistan as some slave nation that will go along with any scheme, with minimal objection. There was also an intense political spat earlier this year between the UAE officials and Pakistan, as Pakistan did not wish to get involved in bombing Yemen....

Lamel

Banned
I agree with your thoughts on this OP, Pakistan has its own issues to deal with without getting into Arab issues. They recently have actually launched major anti terror military operations to secure their border and northern territories. Foolish of SA to think they would go along with it. And honestly Pak's military is probably the most powerful out of everyone in the coalition, but in the end this is a middle east issue primarily.

Edit: though I should say that the idea of a coalition of countries in the region dealing with isil rather than western nations sounds like a good one to me. Skeptical of execution of it though.

FZZ

Banned
My post from the earlier thread seems vindicated.

And hopefully it also puts to rest all the posts saying Pakistan "needs" Saudi.

I swear, sometimes it feels like Saudia Arabia views Pakistan as some slave nation that will go along with any scheme, with minimal objection.

I agree and I think it stems from them using a majority of Pakistanis and other South Asians for slave labor to build their lavish cities. It's honestly disgusting especially considering Pakistan is a far more formidable military strength than any nation in the Middle East, bar Israel.

orochi91

Edit: though I should say that the idea of a coalition of countries in the region dealing with isil rather than western nations sounds like a good one to me. Skeptical of execution of it though.

I'll agree to that. Groups like ISIS thrive off that "crusaders vs. Muslims" narrative whenever Western forces are involved, so a predominately Muslim anti-terror force is ideal.

I agree and I think it stems from them using a majority of Pakistanis and other South Asians for slave labor to build their lavish cities. It's honestly disgusting especially considering Pakistan is a far more formidable military strength than any nation in the Middle East, bar Israel.

I've been reading up on Wiki for the past few hours and seems like Saudi Arabia may have funded Pakistan's military and nascent nuclear program decades ago (to an extent), hence why they feel Pakistan should be obligated to fulfill The Kingdom's demands.

"Why would they say no? Just go ahead and do the press conference you lazy git."

Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom