• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#MatthewAjibade; Cops tasered man's genitals, torture him to death, get away with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
The incident (Graphic):

On New Year's Day 2015, Matthew Ajibade was arrested after a mental health crisis. Instead of being taken to a hospital, Ajibade, who was otherwise in perfect physical condition, was taken to jail—against his family's wishes. In a video we received last week, police are seen punching and kicking Matthew Ajibade in the face and head before restraining him.

Now, after Ajibade was stripped of his clothes and handcuffed to a restraining chair, we see the worst. The police Taser has a camera attached to it that is automatically triggered when the device is turned on.

Strapped to the chair after already being beaten and stunned with a Taser multiple times, we see a red light, the target of the Taser, continually pointed at Matthew's groin. The audio from the Taser camera is distorted, but we see little to no movement from Ajibade.

It gets much worse.

Soon, we see that the Taser is moving closer to his genitals. As the camera gets closer to his genitals, it is deployed. You hear the awful shock of the Taser, followed by the unforgettable screams of Matthew Ajibade. The video then ends—perhaps as the Taser is turned off, but we don't know.

What we do know is that Matthew Ajibade died in his cell, strapped to this restraining chair, soon after being Tasered here.

The outcome:

A Chatham County Superior Court jury on Friday acquitted two former sheriff’s deputies of involuntary manslaughter in the January in-custody death of Mathew Ajibade — but found each guilty of lesser charges.

Jason Kenny, 31, was acquitted on charges of aggravated assault and perjury, but was convicted of cruelty to an inmate in his custody.

The verdicts came after jurors deliberated for more than 11 hours over two days. Jurors also asked Bass if they could again view the jail video from 11:45 p.m. on June 1 when Ajibade was put in the restraining chair until 12:10 a.m. on Jan. 2 when a check of the inmate allegedly was made.

Bass denied the request.

Earlier, Bass suggested he might consider declaring a mistrial for any counts the jury had not reached verdicts on by 5 p.m.

“If it gets close to 5 o’clock and they haven’t reached a verdict, you know what might happen,” Bass told attorneys with jurors in the jury room. “I’ll probably declare a mistrial.”

He told lawyers his comments were only speculation, “because I have no idea of what they are hung up on.”

Jason Kenny

• Not guilty: Involuntary manslaughter on or about Jan. 1 while in commission of reckless conduct caused the death of Ajibade without intent to do so by tasing him while he was restrained.

• Not guilty: Aggravated assault upon Ajibade with a Taser, “an object and device when used offensively against a person is likely to result in serious bodily injury by drive stunning him while he was restrained.”

• Guilty: Cruelty to inmate while being a jailer caused intentional inhumanity to Ajibade, an inmate under his care and custody by using excessive force.

• Not guilty: Perjury on or about July 24 while under oath before the Chatham County grand jury knowingly and intentionally made a false material statement that he told deputy Lt. Debra Johnson that he tased Ajibade four times before Nurse Brown checked the restraints on Ajibade.

Maxine Evans

• Not guilty: Involuntary manslaughter between Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 while in the commission of reckless conduct caused the death of Ajibade without the intent to do so by failing to monitor the inmate while he was in restraints.

• Guilty: Public record fraud on Jan. 2 by falsifying a Corrections Bureau Restraint Chair log by entering checks that did not occur.

• Guilty: Perjury by testifying before the Chatham County grand jury knowingly on June 24 by stating that she entered a check performed by Deputy Eric Vinson at 12:20 a.m. on Jan. 2 into the restraint chair log when it was reported.

• Guilty: Perjury before the Chatham County grand jury while under oath that she entered a check by Deputy Mark Caper at 12:40 a.m. on June 2 as the fourth check on the restraint check log.

• Guilty: Perjury before the grand jury on June 24 by stating under oath she recorded the checks in the restraint chair log as they happened.

Gregory Brown

• Not guilty: Public records fraud by falsifying a Corrections Bureau Restraint Chair Log jail for Jan. 2 by signing an official sheriff’s log indicating that checks occurred that did not occur.

• Guilty: Making a false statement by telling a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent that he checked Ajibade while he was in restraints, which checks did not occur.

Mr. X

Don't forget the judge not allowing jury to rewatch video and threatening to mistrial for taking too long.

daxy

How the fuck to misanthropic lowlifes like these become part of law enforcement? Is it like getting a driver's license in the US?

YoungHav

Banned
Hey guyz, this can't be racism... half of the cops were black!

Wait a second, this is black on black crime. That's the root of the problem.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Something has to give.America can not keep on killing its minorities

kAAvlSX.gif

entremet

How the fuck to misanthropic lowlifes like these become police officers? Is it like getting a driver's license in the US?

Obviously, not all cops are scumbags and many do their jobs honestly. It's that the position has so much authority and power that abuse can easily happen there than from a firefighter or teacher, for example, other public servants.

Another simple thing is that cops see the worse that society has to offer on a daily basis. I've considered law enforcement, but that aspect, which I learned from my cousin, a cop, turned me off years ago. Seeing the worse of society everyday has to be hard on your psyche.

It's like a woman who constantly gets catcalled or harassed daily. She's seeing some of the worse of the male gender, so it may color her perception and how she interacts with men.

Not to mention that many LEOs come from military backgrounds and could be suffering from PSTD and the like.

And then police tactics like targeting drug crimes and crimes more prevalent in poorer neighborhoods, where quality legal representation is beyond the cost of most residents there. There is little consequence to change, since lawsuits are rarely brought up against police systemic misconduct. You do get lawsuits here and there, but that's not enough to do damage.

Just wow.

There is zero fucking gray area in this case. ZERO!

These fucks should all be going down for murder 1.

What a fucked up justice system we have.

So the jury asked to see evidence that the judge refused them to see?

Sounds like the judge and the prosecution really didn't want to see a conviction and tipped the scales towards an acquittal.

Without the evidence I could see it being hard for the jury to convict. I hope the DOJ launches an investigation. :(

YoungHav

Banned
I am honestly surprised by the lack of vigilantism in these cases.

Lol @ the people naive enough to think cameras would make a difference in outcomes. Juries don't respect black life, period.

Acerac

Banned
Who is shocked by these results? I'd love to raise my hand, but this all sounds like what I'd expect.

Appalling. It's a shame that there is no natural recourse for events like this.

So the jury asked to see evidence that the judge refused them to see?

Sounds like the judge and the prosecution really didn't want to see a conviction and tipped the scales towards an acquittal.

Without the evidence I could see it being hard for the jury to convict. I hope the DOJ launches an investigation. :(

How does a reasonable person vote not guilty on aggravated assault after seeing the video once? What 11 hour argument could be more compelling than what you see with your own eyes?

America has created this police problem by refusing to hold them responsible for obvious crimes. There are people who honestly believe it's worth hundreds of innocents being harmed so that a single officer never goes to trial, let alone jail, and that is the real root of the issue.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Posted this in the other thread but his happened in my town. Hell, it happened in my county. A friend of mine who is a bartender at a "lawyer bar" served one of the lawyers involved in this case and had this to say on facebook:

There's something to be said when a lawyer on this case comes into your job, precedes to drink profusely and flat out tells you his real feelings about this. Also spilling information that wasn't meant for my ears. I'm ashamed Savannah.

and when pressed for further info:

Pretty much to the effect of the jury was given false evidence and misinformation, fabricated for the purpose of protecting the deputies charged with the death.

Sick.

How does a reasonable person vote not guilty on aggravated assault after seeing the video once? What 11 hour argument could be more compelling than what you see with your own eyes?

America has created this police problem by refusing to hold them responsible for obvious crimes. There are people who honestly believe it's worth hundreds of innocents being harmed so that a single officer never goes to trial, let alone jail, and that is the real root of the issue.

I was just focused on the manslaughter charges. I missed the assault charge. That is insane. :(

That should have been a crime in itself. No telling just how deep this rabbit hole goes.
Judges can be very, very unreliable, corrupt and amoral. This isn't about this case but it highlights the known problems within the judicial system with regards to Judges. It's about a divorcee being treated extremely poorly by a one sided Judge. It shows how in each others pockets Judges, DA's, lawyers and the Police are. They are not trustworthy.

With regards to this case I really hope we hear from members of the Jury. I want to know what their thinking was.

Red Mage

If they saw it early on, then the defense would hate plenty of time to make that jury question themselves. All it takes is one holdout to cause a mistrial, and then the DA can choose not to attempt a second trial.

purdobol

While reading original thread about this and all the comments stating that cops will get away. I was sceptical to say the least.

Wow you really have police state there...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If they saw it early on, then the defense would hate plenty of time to make that jury question themselves. All it takes is one holdout to cause a mistrial, and then the DA can choose not to attempt a second trial.
But the jury acquitted. That means it was unanimous

Usobuko

Banned
Man, how do you sleep at night after absolving these absolute scumbags. RIP.

Nah, they will sleep just fine. They probably see the blacks like how Argath see the poor.

Argath:
You, no less human than we? Ha!
Now there's a beastly thought.

You've been less than we from the moment
your baseborn father fell upon your mother
in whatever gutter saw you sired!

You've been cattle since you came into
the world drenched in common blood!

Milleuda:
By whose decree!? Who decides
such foul and absurd things?

Argath:
'Tis heaven's will!

Milleuda:
Heaven's will? You would pin your
bigotry the gods?

No god would fain forgive such sin,
much less embrace it! All men are
equal in the eyes of the gods!

Argath:
Men, yes. But the gods have
no eyes for cattle.

Red Mage

But the jury acquitted. That means it was unanimous

All I know is that there wasn't a consensus until the judge threatened to call a mistrial after a mere 11 hours into deliberation, in response to the jury asking to see the video again. I'm probably being an optimist, but I want to guess that the jury wanted to get them on something, and so negotiated a deal with the hold outs.

What does it matter?

The guilty verdicts will be appealed and some judge up the line will do them a solid and throw them out just like every cop to be convicted of something ever.

You feel powerless about money in politics, and you know that you're powerless against cops and the "justice" system. Great times.

Posted this in the other thread but his happened in my town. Hell, it happened in my county. A friend of mine who is a bartender at a "lawyer bar" served one of the lawyers involved in this case and had this to say on facebook:

and when pressed for further info:

Sick.

Holy fuck, that's like my worst assumptions becoming a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom