• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Official The Penguin Trailer

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's fuckin' crazy that this is this guy

oscars-colin-farrell-zz-230312-01-a2c1d5.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wasn't there already like a 3 season show about Penguin (or am I just thinking about Gotham)?

Who woulda thunk we would get SO MUCH Penguin ahead of Joker, Riddler, and all the other Batman Rogues Gallery? Or that we, in general, have like 3 Batman adjacent shows on each year but never just a straight Batman show outside of animation?

FunkMiller

Wasn't there already like a 3 season show about Penguin (or am I just thinking about Gotham)?

Who woulda thunk we would get SO MUCH Penguin ahead of Joker, Riddler, and all the other Batman Rogues Gallery? Or that we, in general, have like 3 Batman adjacent shows on each year but never just a straight Batman show outside of animation?

I think it's due to Farrell's performance more than anything. They took one look at it and wanted more. Which I agree with, to be honest. It was a tremendous performance and I'm looking forward to the show. It's so vastly different from that Gotham series crap, it feels like a different franchise.

Also, I remain convinced Batman will turn up in this at some point. Pattinson was suspiciously absent from public view a while back, and I see no reason why they wouldn't have him appear in this.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Calendar man show next? Jesus Christ WB loves to milk the batman universe dry don't they? Hard to imagine this going past one season.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Calendar man show next? Jesus Christ WB loves to milk the batman universe dry don't they? Hard to imagine this going past one season.
If that's all the story they want to tell I'm ok with it. A more british style of "short run series intermittently released as we make it" is preferable for these prestigue serialized shows than a "well, we gotta crank out 10 more eps of this, start creating some love triangles and more mystery boxes!" attitude of annual releases.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Looks like they're drawing inspiration from the run that dealt with Falcone's daughter - only they went with a younger, hot version, but she may still be just as murderous going by that second teaser.

jason10mm

Gold Member
See, I WANT to like this, but it seems like they are just gonna totally ignore this vigilante guy who is FUCKING UP all your operations. The problem with "street level" Batman in a long form basis is that we actually know that going around and beating up/locking up crime organizers DOES shut down crime, and pretty quickly. So unless Batman is totally absent, or completely incompetent, then there really needs to be a systemic problem with the courts and police for the criminals to exist.

I feel like what this show needs to be is a slightly altered version of Giuliani's taming of NYC with Batman playing the role of heavy hitter (perhaps with Batman, Gordon and Dent splitting the tactics Rudy used). It can be from the POV of the bad guys, but in a system with a fully operational Batman the bad guys should definitely be on the losing end and it should be the FALL of crime, not the rise of it. They can even incorporate all the racial policies that, while unfair and discriminatory, DID make the city a better place for most of the citizens in it.

FunkMiller

See, I WANT to like this, but it seems like they are just gonna totally ignore this vigilante guy who is FUCKING UP all your operations. The problem with "street level" Batman in a long form basis is that we actually know that going around and beating up/locking up crime organizers DOES shut down crime, and pretty quickly. So unless Batman is totally absent, or completely incompetent, then there really needs to be a systemic problem with the courts and police for the criminals to exist.

That's precisely what the situation in Gotham is. The corruption is rife. And this Batman isn't quite the fully formed version we're used to. He's still learning after two years. Perfectly plausible for Oswald to overtake and grow a criminal empire in a city of 10 million people, even with Batman in it.

FunkMiller

Looks like they're drawing inspiration from the run that dealt with Falcone's daughter - only they went with a younger, hot version, but she may still be just as murderous going by that second teaser.

Definite Long Halloween influences here, which makes perfect sense, given the story is about the Maroni and Falcone families.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I feel like what this show needs to be is a slightly altered version of Giuliani's taming of NYC with Batman playing the role of heavy hitter (perhaps with Batman, Gordon and Dent splitting the tactics Rudy used). It can be from the POV of the bad guys, but in a system with a fully operational Batman the bad guys should definitely be on the losing end and it should be the FALL of crime, not the rise of it. They can even incorporate all the racial policies that, while unfair and discriminatory, DID make the city a better place for most of the citizens in it.

Better for who? Most of their stop and frisks turned up no weapons... They alienated the minority youth and amped up the anti-police sentiment.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, but the murder rate plummeted, tourism went through the roof, and the city had a massive boom. Like I said, its all a matter if perspective but the results were pretty astounding.

I don't know if it can be attributed to SQF since correlation does not equal causation.

According to the Justice Dept, crime was already falling each of the 3 years before Giuliani took office. And not only that, it was falling nationwide during the 90s, especially in big cities. San Francisco had the lowest crime rate among all big cities.

Remember, this was during the Clinton administration. The economy was great, the crack epidemic was falling apart (especially in black communities where it hit the hardest) and there were demographic changes like Gentrification and immigration from Africa, India, Asia and places in South America happening. And the 3 strikes law helped a lot.

That's not to say Giuliani didn't do a good job with police reorganizing because that DID help but it's not ONLY thing that helped. It accelerated the decline but not alone.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
New trailer for the show:

This looks... pretty awesome. A full blown Sopranos type show set in the universe of The Batman could be pretty damned good.

And there's no way in hell Pattinson isn't in this at some point.

Penguin is an important villain that matters I think he outperformed expectations in the Batman movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't know if it can be attributed to SQF since correlation does not equal causation.

According to the Justice Dept, crime was already falling each of the 3 years before Giuliani took office. And not only that, it was falling nationwide during the 90s, especially in big cities. San Francisco had the lowest crime rate among all big cities.

Remember, this was during the Clinton administration. The economy was great, the crack epidemic was falling apart (especially in black communities where it hit the hardest) and there were demographic changes like Gentrification and immigration from Africa, India, Asia and places in South America happening. And the 3 strikes law helped a lot.

That's not to say Giuliani didn't do a good job with police reorganizing because that DID help but it's not ONLY thing that helped. It accelerated the decline but not alone.
I thonknyou gravely underestimate the power if a rich giy running around in a mask punching bad guys as a deterrent on crime :p

niilokin

Maybe I've been spoiled by Sopranos etc but even in Batman 2022 the mobster stuff didn't feel convincing at all. Maybe it's because this is comic book universe and perhaps written in such a way but I totally felt like I'm just watching bunch of actors acting like tryhard mobsters.

Top Bottom