• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maybe, just maybe PlayStation 3 will have nice high-level APIs and HAL (jobs posted)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I bolded the interesting parts for you.

Job Detail
Back to Results
Printer-friendly version

Lead Software Engineers - Next Generation Platform

Job ID 88740
Position Type Full-Time Employee
Company Name Sony Computer Entertainment America
Location Santa Monica, CA; San Diego, CA; Foster City, CA
Salary Unspecified
Date Posted September 10, 2004
Experience Mid to Senior Level
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Tell me about this company

Lead Software Engineers - Next Generation Platform
Santa Monica, San Diego, Foster City CA

Join a team creating the system software to power Sony's next generation games. Lead the creation and development of Sony's response to DirectX, in close cooperation with our online and 3d groups. Inspire a team to create the world's best game system software.

Qualifications:

* Looking for the top 1% in the game business.
* Track record of creating leading game technology.
* 10+ years experience in Asm, C, C++.
* Technical Director or Lead Engineer in 2+ technically brilliant titles.
* Excellent planning/documentation skills mandatory.
* Japanese a plus.

The Lead Software Engineer has the following responsibilities: Lead the creation of Sony's response to DirectX. Lead the architectural design and personally create major portions of the implementation.

1. Technology leader in the game business.

In-depth understanding of multiple assembly languages, multi-threaded programming, C and C++. Experience in a multi-processor environment, and with kernel level and driver level programming. Understanding of .Net, C# and XML, Python. Experience with systems level console programming and with DirectX or Nintendo's equivalent a big plus. Proven ability to create powerful new systems.

2. Game systems programming.

Personally lead the creation of SCEA portable OS and hardware abstraction layer. The main responsibility of this position is to develop the low and mid level code libraries for the next generation system.

* ASM, C & C++ programming using SN, GNU tools and various other compilers.
* Target-Host communication, profiling and debugging - Lead the development of systems to enable efficient target-host development.
* Test Scripts - Lead the development of unit tests and other automated systems and scripts to ensure extremely high reliability.

3. Systems Design.

The person in this position will lead the architecture and design of the OS abstraction and hardware abstraction layers.

* Collaborate via phone, email, SourceForge and in person with SCEA's best technologies to design a system that efficiently exploits the amazing capabilities of the next generation system.
* Design, specify and write design documentation. Teach how to document and plan and review plans of others.
* Work with manager of tools to schedule and prioritize work.

4. Tool Programming.

The Software lead will be the key liaison with the tools efforts. Candidate will be required to assist in the development of the target-host system and the run-time players for authored content.

* This requires programming in C++ and C using GNU and SN systems compilers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
cybamerc said:
Probably PSP since they're asking for ppl with GX coding experience.

True, good point... yet...

I do not think PSP will be the only platform following that philosophy.

In-depth understanding of multiple assembly languages, multi-threaded programming, C and C++. Experience in a multi-processor environment, and with kernel level and driver level programming.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Panajev2001a:

> I do not think PSP will be the only platform following that philosophy.

I should hope PS3 will be more up to date.

cybamerc

Milhouse31 said:
Is "Nintendo's equivalent" the opengl-like Nintendo API or did i miss something ?
Unless they're hoping to lure over some Revolution designers what else could it be?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
cybamerc said:
Panajev2001a:

> I do not think PSP will be the only platform following that philosophy.

I should hope PS3 will be more up to date.

I hope so too, but this line "In-depth understanding of multiple assembly languages, multi-threaded programming, C and C++. Experience in a multi-processor environment, and with kernel level and driver level programming." does not make me think about PSP ;).

cybamerc

I dunno. Did a little searching and it isn't the first time they post this ad (same wording and all). Could be either.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
cybamerc said:
I dunno. Did a little searching and it isn't the first time they post this ad (same wording and all). Could be either.

Even with PlayStation 2 multi-threaded programmign is not this huge requirement and PSP does not look harder to program for than PlayStation 2.

The only next-generation platform SCE is working on that seems to fit the "multi-threading, multiple processors" requirement is PlayStation 3.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Experience with systems level console programming and with DirectX or Nintendo's equivalent a big plus. Proven ability to create powerful new systems.

DirectX on PS3? Sony-MS merger OMG!

But on a more serious note, why do they need people with experience in Microsoft's / Nintendo's proprietary API? So they can build one similar, or are they just trying to weed out those who aren't going to be capable of building one?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cybemerc said:
Probably PSP since they're asking for ppl with GX coding experience.
But PSP alredy has a HAL and many other things, this job post seems to be asking for a new project.
Given that first Cell workstations are due this fall, I think this is PS3 related.

Panajev said:
In-depth understanding of multiple assembly languages, multi-threaded programming, C and C++. Experience in a multi-processor environment, and with kernel level and driver level programming.
Well PSP does involve multiple assembly languages, C and C++, and a multiprocessor environment :D
I don't think multithreading will be a big deal with PSP, but having two discrete cpus, two threads are pretty much the default. The most likely situation will involve media engine running multiple threads, as that's where the OS will run.

Nerevar

Fafalada said:
But PSP alredy has a HAL and many other things, this job post seems to be asking for a new project.
Given that first Cell workstations are due this fall, I think this is PS3 related.

I agree, but I don't think it's for PS3. I mean, why the hell are they asking for peopel with .NET and C# experience to build an API for a sony video game console? That doesn't seem to make sense - it seems that this would apply more to building workstations / servers out of Cell than anything else.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I agree, but I don't think it's for PS3. I mean, why the hell are they asking for peopel with .NET and C# experience to build an API for a sony video game console? it seems that this would apply more to building workstations / servers out of Cell than anything else.
Given that's the requirement for architectural lead, I'd say it's just beneficial knowledge, I don't think it's implying they will be creating .Net applications specifically.
And while workstations could use a graphics API, I don't think servers would too much.

Anyway from what I know workstations are pretty much the equivalent of phase 1 devkits, so either way it applies to PS3 also.

Nerevar

Fafalada said:
Given that's the requirement for architectural lead, I'd say it's just beneficial knowledge, I don't think it's implying they will be creating .Net applications specifically.
And while workstations could use a graphics API, I don't think servers would too much.

Anyway from what I know workstations are pretty much the equivalent of phase 1 devkits, so either way it applies to PS3 also.

yeah, I wasn't really paying too much attention and didn't realize they were looking for someone specifically to do a graphical API. And furthermore, the fact that the listing says "NEXT GENERATION PLATFORM" pretty much confirms that it is what they're looking for. I'm guessing it's that they want to develop something similar to what Microsoft and Nintendo have in their devkits, so they're asking for someone with experience in those areas to design something that functions the same.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm guessing it's that they want to develop something similar to what Microsoft and Nintendo have in their devkits, so they're asking for someone with experience in those areas to design something that functions the same
Well, they are building a new thing, so taking lessons learned from everywhere else is a good idea ;) Take what worked well for others, invent where you think you can do better.

Anyway, reading between the lines a bit, the rough timeline for CPU/Cell was vaguely hinted before, but this may suggest that they are getting somewhere with the GPU as well by now - wonder how much longer it will be kept a complete secret :(

Top Bottom