• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

pixelbox

soundwave05 said:
Well even for Nintendo this level of success is unprecidented.

I'm pretty sure no game console in Japan has sold 600k+ in a non-launch week.

Maybe the Famicom, but you'd have to go back 20 years or so, and we really don't have sales figures for then ... what's happening right now is pretty special.
it's not much more than gba.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
It's not? I thought DS was selling pretty well across the globe. Also, the Brain Training games have not come out outside Japan yet ;)

Well, the GBA is outdoing the DS in the U.S. 2.5 to 1 at the moment.

Culex

Banned
DCharlie said:
i dunno - i think the DS would have sold the same even if the PSP didn't exist. The PSP has created and then subsequently captured a new segment of handheld players.

I really really doubt that many people chose a PSP over a DS or vice versa. I think the people who bought each of the two machines (at least in japan) view them as very distinctly different machines.

Agreed. There's just something special about "reading" hentai manga on your PSP :D

pixelbox

DCharlie said:
i dunno - i think the DS would have sold the same even if the PSP didn't exist. The PSP has created and then subsequently captured a new segment of handheld players.

I really really doubt that many people chose a PSP over a DS or vice versa. I think the people who bought each of the two machines (at least in japan) view them as very distinctly different machines.
Well as long as someone else knows this besides me i can finally leave these threads in peace.ahhhhh freedom

I don't think the PS2 has ever sold 400k+ in a non-launch week in Japan either. The old weekly chart had numbers for that.

It's frightening to think if Nintendo could actually supply that many, the DS might be able to sell 700-800k, which would be double the biggest weeks for either GBA or PS2 in Japan.

What's happening here is definitely not normal.

Yamauchi

Banned
2 questions:

1) Is Nintendo selling the DS at a loss?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a price list (in yen) for Japanese games?

Izzy

Banned
Time for Izzy to chime in:

According to Dengeki,

-Nintendo sold 604k DS units

-the rest of the hardware sold REALLY well - 403k units

-Last week's DS:rest of the hardware ratio was almost 2:1, but this week's 'only' 3:2 (which means something sold disproportionately well - especially considering MONSTROUS DS sales; whether it's PS2, X360, GBA or PSP - I have no bloody idea)

-combined hardware sales were 1007k units (67.6% increase over last week)

-combined software sales were at 4374k units (80.4% increase over last week)

Izzy said:

According to Dengeki,

-Last week's DS:rest of the hardware ratio was almost 2:1, but this week's 'only' 3:2 (which means something sold disproportionately well - especially considering MONSTROUS DS sales; whether it's PS2, X360, GBA or PSP - I have no bloody idea)

Probably ps2 sales were the off one with kingdom hearts 2.. and people buying ps2's for it..

Izzy

Banned
PezRadar said:
Probably ps2 sales were the off one with kingdom hearts 2.. and people buying ps2's for it..

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts 2, the original KH sold 416k (820k total) units in its first week in JP; this (700k+) is a huge improvement.

Culex

Banned
Izzy said:

According to Dengeki,

I bet the sales were as follows:

PS2: 150k
PSP: 135k
GBASP: 40k
GC: 40k
GBM: 25k
Xbox360: 13k

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Izzy said:
Speaking of Kingdom Hearts 2, the original KH sold 416k (820k total) units in its first week in JP; this (700k+) is a huge improvement.
Go S-E! :D

koam

Izzy said:

According to Dengeki,

aquarius.jpg

When the moon is in the Seventh House
and Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
The age of Aquarius
Aquarius! Aquarius!

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the mind's true liberation
Aquarius! Aquarius!

When the moon is in the Seventh House
and Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
The age of Aquarius
Aquarius! Aquarius!

As our hearts go beating through the night
We dance unto the dawn of day
To be the bearers of the water
Our light will lead the way

We are the spirit of the age of Aquarius
The age of Aquarius
Aquarius! Aquarius!

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
Angelic illumination
Rising fiery constellation
Travelling our starry courses
Guided by the cosmic forces
Oh, care for us; Aquarius

I don't want to be passing around bad information, so if anybody who knows more about this wants to correct me, go ahead, but:

What I always heard was that the Japanese don't give lots of Christmas presents to the kids -- the big holiday on which young people receive free crap is New Year's, where they are given giant packets of money on the 1st. So what happens is, when the stores all open back up again on the 4th after three days of stupid clueless gaijin being confused and hungry, the kids go in and spend spend spend.

That means that the first week of January could be ridiculous, too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kobun Heat said:
I don't want to be passing around bad information, so if anybody who knows more about this wants to correct me, go ahead, but:

What I always heard was that the Japanese don't give lots of Christmas presents to the kids -- the big holiday on which young people receive free crap is New Year's, where they are given giant packets of money on the 1st. So what happens is, when the stores all open back up again on the 4th after three days of stupid clueless gaijin being confused and hungry, the kids go in and spend spend spend.

Someone posted that a couple of pages ago. :)

Fuzzy said:
Someone posted that a couple of pages ago. :)
Sorry, I haven't been paying attention over Christmas and all.

I wonder if this year's total sales for the Japanese industry are going to actually increase over 2004's? That would be interesting, to say the least (and give Iwata a fun new Powerpoint slide).

jett

D-Member
Izzy said:

Damn...hasn't KH1 sold around 2.5 million in the states? I knew it was more popular in USA, but not that much.

mutsu

Izzy said:

According to Dengeki,

I thought these were posted on like page 3-4, but yeah this thread is getting too ridiculously long so people must have missed it.

And yeah, the Media Create hardware numbers aren't even out yet, and we are on page 10 already...

Kobun Heat said:

Japan closing down nearly caught me off guard today, so i'm glad i got all of my grocery shopping done before the downtime. ugh. as a clueless gaijin, i have to ask--when they say _everything closes_, does that even include conbinis?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Izzy said:

Fuck, that's nice. I'm glad it got those sales. I just hope Zelda breaks a million over there as well.

Edit: Speaking of that, what were WW's first/total sales in Japan?

Jonnyram

Wow, DS is sold out in lots of places now. I hope Nintendo replenishes stocks quickly. They only had the pink one in Shibuya at lunchtime.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Wow, DS is sold out in lots of places now. I hope Nintendo replenishes stocks quickly. They only had the pink one in Shibuya at lunchtime.

Uh oh. C'mon China, keep them coming!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Jonnyram said:
Please keep us informed and up to date!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Um, Windwaker first week/total sales please? Anyone? :(

Edit: NM. Sold about 880k so far.

mutsu

Jonnyram said:

Well it was going to be sooner or later isn't it... we are looking at like over 2 million DS in a month here...

mj1108

Last week Dengeki reported 375k when Media Create reported 408k. This week Dengeki is reporting 604k...so it looks likely that we could see 625k from Media Create?

There should be no lunch break for our chinese sweat shop guys until they make enough DSs for the great hunger thats about to kick in. I repeat NO LUNCH BREAK for our sweat shop men and women in china

cvxfreak

norinrad21 said:
There should be no lunch break for our chinese sweat shop guys until they make enough DSs for the great hunger thats about to kick in. I repeat NO LUNCH BREAK for our sweat shop men and women in china

I guess this is one of the drawbacks of having manufacturing in China. If the DS were in this large a demand in the US or Europe, Nintendo will have kicked itself in the teeth. Japan is thankfully close enough to China, a point I've emphasized a million times already, so stock can be replenished. But even that's not enough apparently. Nintendo used to manufacture their systems in Japan too (my launch Jet GC and Spice GC is from Japan, platinum from China). If they still did I'm sure supply wouldn't be too big a deal since they could literally ship them out every hour or so (Japan's small enough to accomodate that).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
norinrad21 said:
Are you saying the children can still have lunch breaks? Get those little suckers working non-stop also.

norinrad21 said:
There should be no lunch break for our chinese sweat shop kids until they make enough DSs for the great hunger thats about to kick in. I repeat NO LUNCH BREAK for our sweat shop boys and girls in china
fixed for controversy

ioi

Banned
Going by past trends only (so this isn't fact but surely a good indicator):

Expect software sales of big games like AC, MK etc to drop to about 60% next week then climb slightly the week after.

Expect hardware to dip slightly next week to ~80% of this week and then climb back up in the third week, possibly to even more than this week.

As I say, there are only rough indicators from previous years, I guess the reason software gets such a hit is the release of more new titles in the following weeks.

My *very rough* guess would be something like:

DS
475k next week
650k week after

~6.3m total

Animal Crossing
220k next week
250k week after

~1.7m total

Mario Kart DS
160k next week
180k week after

~1.05m total

Brain Training 2
300k next week
190k week after

~500k total

Also for this week, I think people are overestimating PS2 a little, I'd put it at just under 100k, this far down it's lifecycle I can't see people rushing out to buy one for KH. If anything the large increases will be from GBA / GC which traditionally see some big boosts this week.

ioi

Banned
To those who said that DS is barely outselling GBA:

Code:
Week	PS2 2001			GBA 2001			GBA 2002			DS 2005	
1	 108 	 108 		 44 	 44 		 120 	 120 		 177 	 177 
2	 103 	 211 		 39 	 83 		 135 	 255 		 299 	 476 
3	 184 	 395 		 121 	 204 		 197 	 452 		 409 	 885 
4	 222 	 617 		 265 	 469 		 304 	 756 		 597	1,482
5	 249 	 866 		 216 	 685 		 263 	 1,019 			
6	 315 	 1,181 		 286 	 971 		 317 	 1,336 			
7	 114 	 1,295 		 88 	 1,059 		 85 	 1,421

It's doing more than DOUBLE the nearest competitors BEST YEAR EVER.

GBA in 2002 had Pokemon along with a deluge of other big games.

That was certainly the previous best since 1998, I'm not sure about 97- I need to try and find some numbers from then for comparison. I seriously don't think either PS or GB were selling any better than GBA in 2002 though.

756 vs 1,482- it's practically double (and that's true of virtually every week, so double GBA weeks 5-7 and should give a good indication of future DS numbers)...

ioi

Banned
neo2046 said:
DS 597000
PSP 161000
PS2 97000
GC 36000
360 5000
SP 35000
GBM 19000

So 54k for GBA combined.

I'm impressed with PSP numbers, they are actually pretty damn high if you compare back to PS2 / GBA above in previous years.

neo2046

VOOK said:
Can we get exact numbers :p
I want to know too
Kseutron said:
you are welcomed
the numbers are come from message board (2 ch)
the guy who provides the numbers every week is very reliable
or you can wait for the official Media Create numbers on Friday :)

Top Bottom