• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Arms sold over 11 million ($)

IgeL

I was just browsing through GamesTM and found an interesting chart about Vivendi's best selling games for 2003. The chart listed Metal Arms: Glitch In The System at 11.2 millions.

Some quick calculations:

If each Metal Arms was sold at $40 price tag: 280 000 units sold

If each Metal Arms was sold at $20 price tag (current price): 560 000 units sold

Reality is probably something in-between, so around 300-400 k units sold (worldwide I guess). Not too bad, imho. If anybody has NPD totals that'd be great, so we could see how much of the "success" is from Europe. I'm guessing 100k.

These numbers aren't enough for a sequel, sadly. :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
At least Swingin Ape is working on a big name game (Starcraft: Ghost). I just hope they can fix the game before it goes out to stores

B E N K E

Probably refers to shipped numbers and suggested retail price. I don't think we'll see a sequel. But I don't mind, some games don't need sequels and I'd rather have them use their talent on Star Craft Ghost at the moment. Hopefully, that game will be as polished as Metal Arms.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
MS should give them the Brute Force IP after they finish Ghost and whatever Blizzard wants them to do. Personally I want them to put all their efforts on a new next-gen platform and deliver a kickass launch title (at least to give them some sales, damn it)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's why they should handle the IP, to improve it.

And Brute Force doesn't suck unless you were swallowed by the hype :p otherwise it was a decent game. Derivative and generic, but decent.

Funky Papa said:
... And (insert any hyped xbox game) doesn't suck unless you were swallowed by the hype :p otherwise it was a decent game. Derivative and generic, but decent.

you know it's true..

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I thought that GamesTM chart was a) another of their spectacularly bad mistakes, with a misplaced decimal (but hey, if Paragon wants to pay peanuts then it will get monkeys) and b) referring to units sold globally, i.e. 1.1m.

ferricide

Funky Papa said:
And Brute Force doesn't suck unless you were swallowed by the hype :p otherwise it was a decent game. Derivative and generic, but decent.
give creative people a "generic" IP! this makes sense!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
truesayian said:
you know it's true..
Well, it is ;p

ferricide said:
give creative people a "generic" IP! this makes sense!
Metal Arms concept was hardly something original, it was the brilliant gameplay what it blowed us away.

Going back on topic, I just want to see what they are doing with Ghost, so far the impressions weren't so kind (while being developed by Nihilistic I mean)

I actually could see Swinging Ape doing good things with the Brute Force franchise. But didn't Blizzard sort of sign them for a multi-game deal?

Alcibiades

Just bought a copy for $20 ($15 with my "$5 OFF" coupon) at Best Buy. Also picked up Rebel Strike for the same price. Haven't had the urge to open up either though...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Metal Arms was game of the year** last year and the swinging ape guys (who i always had confidence in since i knew they made hydrothunder) said they still have loads of ideas for a sequel, heres hoping they will rescue the delay-heavy turd that is Starcraft Ghost and then get the opportunity to pick their own project...working with Blizzard must mean they are still pretty tight with VU games.

**in my MIIIIIND!

izzard11.jpg

Teddman

Xbox, according to most folks and Swingin' Ape themselves. Best controller for the game's Halo-style controls, best framerate, most debris when enemies explode, bigger explosion effects, etc.

Top Bottom