• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear on....cell phones

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/18/news_6105149.html

TOKYO--The Metal Gear Solid series is one of Konami's biggest franchises, having sold a cumulative 14.6 million units worldwide. However, little is known about the first Metal Gear, since it was released the MSX2 home computer nearly two decades ago.

Today, Konami announced that it has ported 1987's original 8-bit MSX2 game to mobile phones. Series director Hideo Kojima supervised the port to FOMA900i series phones, EZweb phones compatible with EZ Appli Phase 3, and Vodafones compatible with V256K. Services for Metal Gear begin today, and players can download or play it online at a monthly rate of 315 yen ($2.88) plus connection fees.

In the original Metal Gear for the MSX2, the player takes the role of Solid Snake, who is still a rookie solider. Unlike the full-on action of other games in 1987, Metal Gear required players to sneak around to avoid detection. On the mobile phone port, players that beat the game will be rewarded with a Mugen bandana item that allows infinite ammunition. The game also has a time attack mode, where players can challenge the different bosses in the game.

With the appearance of the mobile phone version of Metal Gear, Konami further fuels the hype surrounding the upcoming release of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the PlayStation 2. While Konami’s official stance is that Metal Gear Solid 3 will be released in Japan and the US within the year, a retailer earlier this month reported that the game may hit Japan as early as October.

In related news, new retailer reports today say that Konami's reprint edition of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for the PlayStation 2 has been delayed from September 22 to October 19 in Japan.

In related news, new retailer reports today say that Konami's reprint edition of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for the PlayStation 2 has been delayed from September 22 to October 19 in Japan.

Ummm.... what's the point of reprinting MGS2 when MGS2: Substance has the first game and more?

cvxfreak

FortNinety said:
Ummm.... what's the point of reprinting MGS2 when MGS2: Substance has the first game and more?

SoL in Japan has Japanese VA, Substance has English VA.

It's a shame the U.S. Substance for PS2 didn't have Japanese VA, making the original version worthless.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's a shame the U.S. Substance for PS2 didn't have Japanese VA, making the original version worthless.
Not totally, but almost worthless - except for people who really nitpick.

I still maintain that if you want the most polished SOL experience, MGS2:SOL is the way to go.

*edit* Now that I've re-read your post, I don't even know what exactly you wanted to say, considering that US MGS2:SOL didn't have Japanese voice acting either.

cvxfreak

Marconelly said:
Not totally, but almost worthless - except for people who really nitpick.

I still maintain that if you want the most polished SOL experience, MGS2:SOL is the way to go.

*edit* Now that I've re-read your post, I don't even know what exactly you wanted to say, considering that US MGS2:SOL didn't have Japanese voice acting either.

IMO, if Substance for PS2 in the USA had Japanese VA, then it would make the original worth owning since the cinematic experience would be different. The English VA in the Japanese Substance makes it so that it doesn't completely replace the JPN original - hence re-releasing both versions later this year.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I'd rather have Metal Gear 1 +2 on GBA... ugh. I can hardly stand cell phone gaming.
Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea. GBA seems to be doing pretty well with the 1+2 remakes (Final Fantasy, Super Chinese, Powerprokun Pocket, Mother, etc).

Top Bottom