• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater...

Docpan

... Is the last thing on my mind right now.

I have two GOTYs to play. This'll have to wait until it's in the bargain bin.

And if Kojima feels the need to throw in more unnecessary "deep" (aka rediculous) plot developments, fuck it. I have better things to do.

duckroll

Synbios459 said:
Any chance this will work with the HDLoader?

If you try to, MGS3 will delete your saves, format your harddisk, zap your PS2 bios, recalibrate the lens to scratch your MGS3 disc beyond repair and sacrifice your first born to Kojima.

Ok... honestly, I have no idea. :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I expect it will. MGS2, MGS2 Substance, ZOE, ZOE2, SH2, SH3, SH4 all work from HDL.

I have two GOTYs to play
MGS3 is the likely GOTY, for me at least. For example, I like GTA:SA a lot, but for some reason I can't bring myself to play it as much as I expected I would. On the other hand I can't wait for the moment to put MGS3 disc into the drive and play it until I finish it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Synbios459 said:

If the demo is any indication, yes. But then you won't be able to go online and download camos or whatever

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But then you won't be able to go online and download camos or whatever
As long as you have the game disc it should be no problem. I doubt you'll have to go online constantly. Maybe couple of times to download stuff, and you'll have to boot it from the disc then, but then you'll have the access to the stuff you downloaded when you play it from the HDD.

Socreges

Banned
Marconelly said:
MGS3 is the likely GOTY, for me at least. For example, I like GTA:SA a lot, but for some reason I can't bring myself to play it as much as I expected I would. On the other hand I can't wait for the moment to put MGS3 disc into the drive and play it until I finish it.
I'm not convinced.

Mrbob

Marconelly said:

I need scores to justify this comment!!!

Metal Gear Solid 3 is my most anticipated game this holiday season. I can't wait until I get my hands all over this one. I don't even think Halo 2 will be able to hold me over for this one.

I'm trying to avoid all information regarding the game.

They also mention the final boss fight being really dramatic and well done.

This is what I'm hoping for most of all. From the trailers it really seems like this mission is going to put Snake through Hell; dealing with such serious injuries, betrayal, and enemies like Volgin, Ocelot, and the Cobra Unit. It's fitting that Snake would refer to himself as "a real one man army" not knowing what he's going to go through.

I still wonder if the glimpse of that "flower field" in the TGS '04 trailer was there to give us a shot of the final act; Snake arriving in full regalia ready to at last confront his mentor and claim the title "Boss" for his own. I can't wait!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
KilledByBill said:
I still wonder if the glimpse of that "flower field" in the TGS '04 trailer was there to give us a shot of the final act; Snake arriving in full regalia ready to at last confront his mentor and claim the title "Boss" for his own. I can't wait!

I have a feeling that part of the trailer will be towards the end of the game, if it isn't the final boss battle. That scene looks so awesome too...the grass and everything

Drek

Mother fuck! How am I going to play all of these games? I'm almost done Fable, but then I've got GTA. I won't even scratch GTA's surface by the time I get my copy of Halo 2, then MGS3 barely over a week later? I've also got Metroid Prime 2 and R&C3 looking at me from my future. Haven't even pealed the shrink wrap off Shadow Hearts 2 either, or Shin Megami Tensi. WHY GOD?! I've got a life outside of games damn you, stop trying to kill it!

Seriously though, this has to be the biggest holiday season ever in terms of "instant classic" level releases, with a large side of games that any other year would be GOTY quality. Hell, this whole year has been like this. Great time to be a gamer, though busy if you've got all three consoles, even two for that matter.

Mr_Furious said:
MUST........RESIST...........HIGHLIGHTING..........ALL THESE FUCKING SPOILERS................ugh

The actual spoilers in my posts are about what happens in a boss fight.

"I have a feeling that part of the trailer will be towards the end of the game, if it isn't the final boss battle. That scene looks so awesome too...the grass and everything"

After all they've shown of the Boss completely destroying Snake, it basically seems she has to be the final boss. Throw in that its one of the few times that we've actually seen Snake in the game with his eye patch, and its the only time we've seen him wearing that outfit which looks quite a bit different from anything else he's worn in the trailer. It seems like her fight would be based around CQC since she seems to use that alot on Snake during the scenes they've shown.

SolidSnakex said:
Just read the MGS3 EGM review. Some interesting tidbits.

- Mark says it has the biggest environments in any console game so far. This is especially surprising considering San Andreas was reviewed in the same issue.

- The boss fights top Fox Hounds (MGS1's team).

- There's one boss in particular that will go down as one of the greatest boss fights ever.

-
The End's boss fight literally lasts over a hour.

- Plot twists actually make sense.

- Longest MG title so far. Clocking in with atleast a 25hour gameplay time.

- Raises the bar for stealth gaming.

- As was pointed out in the EGM thread the codec sequences have been cut back big time.

LIFE IS GRAND

Lakitu

st5fu
Is it possible that this could get stickied or something? I mean the game's release is around 10 days away, unless the mods don't think it's nessecary. I mean there are going to be alot of Official game topics this November o_O but I'd love for this to get stickied, since to me MGS 3 is just as important as the bigger releases this year.

Lakitu

st5fu
November 17 :D It's not far away at all, I recall the Official Halo 2 pre-release thread was stickied about 2 weeks prior to release but it's the mods decision

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, only ten days left! I was surprised by that, I was convinced it was set for release in december. Oh well, pre-ordered my copy yesterday. MGS3, here I come! :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Anyone else feel that the hype for this game, even near release, is fairly low?

Also, when can we expect reviews from IGN, GS, so forth?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lakitu said:

Also, when can we expect reviews from IGN, GS, so forth?

Yes, I feel that MGS3 and Prime 2 are both getting the shaft in that regard...

Heck, Half-Life 2's hype seems to have died off somewhat even and that ships on the same day!

I really think Halo 2 has truly taken hold of everyone. Once the 9th is over, however, I think people will suddenly remember than the following week is an even better release week.

Kiriku said:
Yeah, only ten days left! I was surprised by that, I was convinced it was set for release in december. Oh well, pre-ordered my copy yesterday. MGS3, here I come! :D

That's when its being released if you live in Japan. :p

BTW just to add some suspense to the whole thing with Raikov, this guy:

Raicov.jpg

His Japanese voice actor also voiced Raiden. His middle name is "Raidenovich".

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think the lack of hype is good in a way. MGS2 was TOO hyped IMO, and people were let down because of that. I think that may also be a reason why people are hesitant about hyping MGS3. And that's why I have a feeling it will surprise many. As long as they're hyped enough to at least give it a chance. But yeah, the biggest reason for lack of hype is probably Halo 2. But as long as sales for MGS3 are good enough to keep the series alive and well, I don't mind at all.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
- Is the level design decent in this game? Have they gone through the effort of making each area unique and filled with unique gameplay opportunities?

- Have they kept the cinematics down to a minimal or have they included a shitload of gameplay to atleast offset it?

- Are there a lot of moments in the game where you can play for a good while without any cinematic interruptions? If not, does it continually screw up the game's pacing?

That's all, those are the only fears I have that I would hold this game back from greatness.

"- Is the level design decent in this game? Have they gone through the effort of making each area unique and filled with unique gameplay opportunities?"

Going by the EGM review, that's a big yes on both.

"- Have they kept the cinematics down to a minimal or have they included a shitload of gameplay to atleast offset it?"

The 25hours I mentioned earlier is supposedly the actual gameplay time, that's not including the cutscenes. Kojima said very early on that one of the main reasons for the forest was so that he could give gamers and extended amount of play time between cutscenes. There will obviously be alot of cutscenes but there's going to be alot more gameplay time than in previous games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
- Is the level design decent in this game? Have they gone through the effort of making each area unique and filled with unique gameplay opportunities?
Hey, it's an MGS game, so 'yes' for both is a given! Areas filled with unique, imaginative (and non-forced) gameplay opportunities is the thing I probably liked the most about MGS and MGS2.

Kinda. There aren't even any major advertising that I've seen (TV, or in-store). I wonder when will Konami start to air some TV commercials for MGS3 and what they'll look like.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Holy shit I promised myself to not spoil anything towards MGS3, turning many a blind eye.. now I've gone and destroyed my whole year's work through simple curiousity! Alas!

*splashes bleach over his eyes furiously*

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Thanks for the bits Snake. Knowing that there is atleast 25 hours of gameplay and a very good story makes my day. This has to get GOTY.

That Raikov character is really suspicious. It makes me think that this could be one big VR mission.

Also, I heard that these are the gadgets that we have instead of a radar.

1) A monitor that shows us all moving life forms

2) A sonar that shows us all moving and non moving life forms but makes a sound

3) A sound thing that makes a beep you can only hear when you get closer to a life form. the frequency gets higher the closer you get.

i actually found out something about that guy that's supposed to look like raiden.

leave now......

spoiling.............

last chance........

dont blame me if you spoil yourself.

here we go,

supposedly, and i cant confirm this so take with a grain of salt, snake has to kill the raiden look-a-like and put on his uniform and paint your face with special make-up so that you look like him. additionally, snake has to disguise himself as enemy scientists and officers to get anywhere around the base. but i cant confirm this so i'm not sure how reliable this is

Lakitu

st5fu
evil solrac v3.0 said:
i actually found out something about that guy that's supposed to look like raiden.

leave now......

spoiling.............

last chance........

dont blame me if you spoil yourself.

here we go,

supposedly, and i cant confirm this so take with a grain of salt, snake has to kill the raiden look-a-like and put on his uniform and paint your face with special make-up so that you look like him. additionally, snake has to disguise himself as enemy scientists and officers to get anywhere around the base. but i cant confirm this so i'm not sure how reliable this is

It's true

skip

evil solrac v3.0 said:
does anyone know the role of that blonde woman who helps snake?

her name is eva, and her role in all of this isn't made clear until when kojima wants you to know. :)

duckroll

Ok instead of asking about story spoilers and whatnot. Let's ask something productive. Is there any truth to MGS3 having unlockable Snake Tales featuring characters from MGS and MGS2?

And if yes, are theses nonsense extra stories like in MGS2 or are they official canon side stories?

Lakitu

st5fu
duckroll said:
Is there any truth to MGS3 having unlockable Snake Tales featuring characters from MGS and MGS2?

Nope, there was a rumour about those but it appears they don't exist.

Screenboy

duckroll said:
Obviously the plot twist is that he's a zombie, possibly even a zombie-Raiden from the far future sent back in time to alter Big Boss' past by the Patriots. :D

Holy Shit!

He just spoiled the whole game!

-SB

Solid

Dunno if this is old or not, but the original MGS3 soundtrack will be on 2 CD's with 43 tracks.

I MUST HAVE IT!

acklame

I just preordered MGS3 at local EB.

The guy told me it'll be out on 11/18, WTF?!
It'll surely be out at every store by 17th...and that retard was all excited and said "but it may come out earlier, shhh don't tell anyone"

dumbass :|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just preordered MGS3 at local EB.

The guy told me it'll be out on 11/18, WTF?
When I have preordered it in the EB here in Canada, couple of days ago, they told me the release is on 20th Nov. I was a bit confused. Also, on their wall, on the list of the upcoming releases, MGS3 is listed as 23. Nov. release. They get those dates wrong all the time, though.

Top Bottom