• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

Mine toooooo :D

Got Thursday and Friday booked off ready. All i need to do now i finish Snake Eater for the first time before it comes :lol

Doc Evils

29616rp.jpg

wooo.

Ynos Yrros said:
Apparently MediaMarkt has a system in place that doesn't let them sell the game before 12th ;(.

Hm, in Germany they always sell games before launch. As does Saturn. I really hope to get it today. I cannot wait any longer...

.nimrod

my order from a german site is now being packed, which means i'm gonna have it within the next 24 hours :D

dermannmitdemcolt said:
Hm, in Germany they always sell games before launch. As does Saturn. I really hope to get it today. I cannot wait any longer...

Depends, gamestop only breaks the streetdate if another store does it first, and i think Saturn and Media Markt do the same. But yeah, the small stores don't care

.nimrod said:
Depends, gamestop only breaks the streetdate if another store does it first, and i think Saturn and Media Markt do the same. But yeah, the small stores don't care

In my town Gamestop never breaks the streetdate, but MediaMarkt and especially Saturn just don't care. They sell it, when they get it. Yesterday the Saturn Clerk told me as much.

spwolf

zoukka said:
Well they are if you haven't played the Solid series and start MGO. My friend cursed at the controls like crazy, but eventually got the hang of it.

i never played an MGS game and got hang of the MGO controlls quite fast - obviously, you need to get used to it but so you do with every other game... it is pretty intuitive.

I really dont see anything confusing in MGO controlls.

mileS

SamuraiX- said:
ZOMG Hype Meter +239

Ryan really wasn't bullshitting about all the secrets and goodies, huh? :D

haha yea I was the one who sent that question in :D I was shocked to hear Mark Mcdonald say my name and read my question. I'm at work and I just froze, had to skip back and hear it again just to be sure :lol

Ryan said he even lost track of how many secrets where in the game saying that some of them only Kojima knew about!

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Is someone going to make an MGO thread somewhere? All the clan discussion would be impossible to follow if we tried to hijack this thread like we did the MGO beta thread :lol
I know some of us were discussing it in the MGO beta thread on Friday/Saturday and that both Ephemeris and myself would be happy to lead again. Probably should get it sorted out, somewhere.

zoukka said:
It is the greatest game for a couple of weeks at least. After that people start coming out of their shelters and if there are flaws in it, they'll be revealed.
I'm the kind of person who recognizes flaws quickly. I'll be posting non-spoiler impressions as I play.

The Metal Gear games are damn near flawless for their time, though. At least, in my opinion - that is the case.

U K Narayan said:
I'm the kind of person who recognizes flaws quickly. I'll be posting non-spoiler impressions as I play.

The Metal Gear games are damn near flawless for their time, though. At least, in my opinion - that is the case.

The flawed things on the disc I find don't exactly relate to the actual game itself. More so to the whole install business. Otherwise, I can't find anything flawed. It is incredibly polished. The game has probably as much bugs as MGS2.

zoukka

U K Narayan said:

Yup. I'm just being extra careful on these big titles. I have been banned twice for criticizing a game in those huge hype-threads.

And your right on that flawless part ;)

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
U K Narayan said:
Agreed. I have hardly anything to complain about for any of the MGS games.

MGS2 and MGS3 were the closest thing to a perfect game on PS2. Brilliant gameplay, great story, great graphics etc. There wasnt much you could add to either game at the time to make it any better.

Oh btw, I just checked.

After you complete the game, if you choose the last save file, when you select it, you can start a new game using that save file. So extras you got before, are moved over. Hope that's alright with you guys :3

zoukka

dabookerman said:
Oh btw, I just checked.

After you complete the game, if you choose the last save file, when you select it, you can start a new game using that save file. So extras you got before, are moved over. Hope that's alright with you guys :3

Can you up the difficulty level with the obtained gear?

Yasser

wheee my LE from play.com has been posted! i've been stoking the boner i've had for this game for years and now it's sooo close!

Frog

dabookerman (or someone else who has gone through the game),

Something I've been meaning to ask you about the difficulty levels. My first time through MGS3 on Normal, one thing that I hated was how much HP Snake had. I could trip the alarm, allow myself to be surrounded by soldiers, literally put the controller down, walk away, come back two minutes later and they still hadn't managed to finish me off. If Snake is detected, surrounded by soldiers, and doesn't move, he should be shot to shit in a few seconds.

Am I going to be happy on Solid Normal, or will I need to play on Big Boss Hard?

BlockBastard said:
Only thing we'll probably never see is a walking tank, as cool as the concept is.
You're kidding, right? Have you heard of BigDog? It's an unmanned robotics project in development by Boston Dynamics, and is funded by DARPA. If this thing takes off, I can almost guarantee you that we'll have something similar to a Metal Gear in 10-20 years.

Check that out here: http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

Watch the video. Your mind will be blown.

zoukka

It's a long way from four legs to two. But a four legged real life tank... maybe someday? Would need ridicilous amounts of power though.

Doc Evils

U K Narayan said:
You're kidding, right? Have you heard of BigDog? It's an unmanned robotics project in development by Boston Dynamics, and is funded by DARPA. If this thing takes off, I can almost guarantee you that we'll have something similar to a Metal Gear in 10-20 years.

Check that out here: http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

wow that balancing it acheives is damn amazing.

U K Narayan said:

not just bigdog look at this LAND WALKER that some one made Metal Gear is real!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwbUljGs3g

Frog said:
dabookerman (or someone else who has gone through the game),

Something I've been meaning to ask you about the difficulty levels. My first time through MGS3 on Normal, one thing that I hated was how much HP Snake had. I could trip the alarm, allow myself to be surrounded by soldiers, literally put the controller down, walk away, come back two minutes later and they still hadn't managed to finish me off. If Snake is detected, surrounded by soldiers, and doesn't move, he should be shot to shit in a few seconds.

Am I going to be happy on Solid Normal, or will I need to play on Big Boss Hard?

Solid Normal is great for a first time play through.

I started on Big Boss hard and I already got owned within the first 15 minutes.
The Ai in this game are incredible. Also, the amount of damage you take is relative to the type of gun that is being shot. oh and Gekkos, if you truly value your life, you wouldn't go anywhere near them. ;p

Oliver.S said:
@dabookerman:
One question: How would you rate the boss battles in MGS 4?

Awesome. Some are more like puzzles, some are epic and exciting, and some are long and difficult.
There is at least one I can think of that everyone will talk about for ages ;p

zoukka

The Ai in this game are incredible. Also, the amount of damage you take is relative to the type of gun that is being shot. oh and Gekkos, if you truly value your life, you wouldn't go anywhere near them. ;p

WOOT! Have you played the previous games on harder difficulties? Would you say 4 is the hardest?

If true HYPE through the fabrics of reality.

peetfeet

Shopto just texted me to say my copy has been dispatched so i should get it tomorrow morning :D Only problem is my disc drive fucked up on sunday. GRRR. But thankfully Sony are exchanging sometime tomorrow (whenever the courior decides to turn up) :D

Or so they say..... *fingers crossed*

zoukka said:
WOOT! Have you played the previous games on harder difficulties? Would you say 4 is the hardest?

If true HYPE through the fabrics of reality.

Hmm. I played through MGS2 and 3 on the hardest modes, but in MGS4 it's a lot different, soldiers have different patterns, they always seem to be paired up. Sneaking around is a lot harder aswell.
I haven't played enough of this game yet, but I think this one might possibly be the hardest.

Frog

dabookerman said:
Solid Normal is great for a first time play through.

Cool, so it's not hard to be killed by regular enemies if you leave yourself exposed? (on Normal)

Speaking of the Gekkos, some of the videos make them look like they're not very aggressive during gameplay. Like they will come up to you, do nothing for a couple seconds, then lunge, then stand there for a few seconds, lunge again, etc. Then when they fight NPCs they'll charge in and rip them apart. Watching some of the videos it felt like they weren't really trying to kill Snake. Although it was the very first area of the first act, so maybe they were just going easy on you while you learn the controls. Or it could have been recorded on a low difficulty.

Frog said:
Cool, so it's not hard to be killed by regular enemies if you leave yourself exposed? (on Normal)

Speaking of the Gekkos, some of the videos make them look like they're not very aggressive during gameplay. Like they will come up to you, do nothing for a couple seconds, then lunge, then stand there for a few seconds, lunge again, etc. Then when they fight NPCs they'll charge in and rip them apart. Watching some of the videos it felt like they weren't really trying to kill Snake. Although it was the very first area of the first act, so maybe they were just going easy on you while you learn the controls. Or it could have been recorded on a low difficulty.

hah, I think it's time to make a quick spoiler free video then. Then you will see what they do ;p

Also, selecting the end game save file and continueing makes all the songs from your ipod move over aswell. Which is also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom