• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
McBacon said:
has anyone from the UK ordered from GAME online?

Yup I have.

Still have this:

09/06/2008 08:03:24 Your order is currently being picked and packed.
09/06/2008 07:20:31 Your credit/ debit card has been authorised and your order is now being released for packing.

:( That was almost 2 days ago.

Safe Bet

Banned
Kagari said:
lol, they gave us a store copy of the strategy guide D:
Gamestop did that to my Mother once.

She went out shopping and came back with a copy of WoW for the kids to play at her house.

The strategy guide she bought with it was creased and battered yet sold as new.

Fucking Bastards...

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Lakitu said:
Yup I have.

Still have this:

09/06/2008 08:03:24 Your order is currently being picked and packed.
09/06/2008 07:20:31 Your credit/ debit card has been authorised and your order is now being released for packing.

:( That was almost 2 days ago.

10/06/2008 11:36:31 Your order is currently being picked and packed.

I only placed my order on Monday though, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Damn hype, I don't even like Metal Gear! But I'll try my best... for GAF.

Safe Bet

Banned
Kagari said:
The LE guide difference is that is has an art section, it's hard cover, and comes with the lithograph.
*relief*

When I recalled the debate on message boards last year about extra gameplay content for collector's editions, I started getting nervous.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Safe Bet said:
Gamestop did that to my Mother once.

She went out shopping and came back with a copy of WoW for the kids to play at her house.

The strategy guide she bought with it was creased and battered yet sold as new.

Fucking Bastards...

Well on the front it literally says STORE COPY, NOT FOR SALE

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So no one else finds the complete lack of TV advertising for this even a bit weird? (I asked the same on a previous page but it got completely ignored). Or am I wrong and the TV ads do exist?

Marconelly said:
So no one else is finds the complete lack of TV advertising for this even a bit weird? (I asked the same on a previous page but it got completely ignored). Or am I wrong and the TV ads do exist?

I don't find it extremely weird, considering I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for any MGS game, ever.

NeoUltima

Marconelly said:
So no one else is finds the complete lack of TV advertising for this even a bit weird? (I asked the same on a previous page but it got completely ignored). Or am I wrong and the TV ads do exist?
Some have been spotted on the science, discovery, and cartoon network channels. Also, it was advertised during the MTV movie awards.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Marconelly said:

I've seen TV ads on Cartoon Network and whatnot. Someone else said Science channel had them too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
revolverjgw said:
I don't find it extremely weird, considering I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for any MGS game, ever.
I have seen plenty of ads for MGS2 on all kinds of channels, and MGS3 was targeted more to channels like Spike and Space (Canadian Sci-Fi channel). So far nothing for MGS4 even on those, much less on any mainstream ones. I must have seen Haze commercial 50 times by now though...

rcua1884

Marconelly said:
So no one else finds the complete lack of TV advertising for this even a bit weird? (I asked the same on a previous page but it got completely ignored). Or am I wrong and the TV ads do exist?

They've been playing the movie trailer ad nauseum on appropriate channels that cater to MGS4's demographic.

I think it's time for you to stop watching The View :D

Just messin'. But seriously, I've seen the ads on TV...MTV, Comedy Central...that kind of thing.

Laurent

Marconelly said:
I have seen plenty of ads for MGS2 on all kinds of channels, and MGS3 was targeted more to channels like Spike and Space (Canadian Sci-Fi channel). So far nothing for MGS4 even on those, much less on any mainstream ones. I must have seen Haze commercial 50 times by now though...
I would rather see a MGS4 ad on Dejà View when I am watching Three's Company instead of that boring Adopt A Child 2 minutes long infomercial each time...

WinFonda

Yep I saw MGS4 commercial. They're probably using very targeted adverts to hit the key demographics for pre-release, and will expand more once the game is actually available to purchase.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
revolverjgw said:
It feels like Christmas Eve and I'm 10 years old
At this point in my life, this game's probably the only thing that'll even come close to re-capturing that same exact feeling for me.

Greg

I never understood the lack of marketing for video games... people eat that shit up. Absolute shit games like Assassin's Creed and Mercenaries got some huge attention after their TV advertisements.

Show some guns, a shady character, and some more guns - instant hit.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
WinFonda said:
Yep I saw MGS4 commercial. They're probably using very targeted adverts to hit the key demographics for pre-release, and will expand more once the game is actually available to purchase.

Well either way they need to make sure this game is as sucesfull as posible, I don't want Konami killing of Kojima!

Safe Bet

Banned
Kagari said:
Well on the front it literally says STORE COPY, NOT FOR SALE
:lol

It was either an honest mistake or the clerk that sold it to you has balls the size of Ontario.

HOW WILL WE EVER KNOW THE TRUTH?!?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WinFonda said:
Maybe its just in Canada then, but Space channel is probably the place to advertise if they want to hit key demographics.

I just find it weird that they must have spent craploads of money on development, and are now trying to nickel and dime the advertising.

I also really don't believe in "let's just advertise it once it's released" approach Sony has been taking since the beginning of this gen. It just doesn't seem to work well for them at all.

Andvary

Anyone with the NA version of the game could please try setting the PS3 system language to spanish and see if they added spanish subtitles?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Greg said:
I never understood the lack of marketing for video games... people eat that shit up. Absolute shit games like Assassin's Creed and Mercenaries got some huge attention after their TV advertisements.

Show some guns, a shady character, and some more guns - instant hit.
I agree... In some ways FFVII was as nerdy and niche as FF ever was in America, but just exposing its strange new CG world to the MTV crowd was enough to make it a mega-hit.

I think MGS4 features similar "HOLY SHIT WOW" imagery that if exposed to the clueless masses, they would be interested, regardless of if they deep down "get it".

Gekkos, Raiden, military shit. It's impressive looking stuff!

DrBo42 said:
I just got the LE strat guide. The quality of this book is quite amazing, totally worth the purchase. The art at the back and the Shinkawa lithograph are gorgeous, you can tell a lot of love went into this. I dare not dive into the walkthrough section, but I'm so tempted to see what's in store for us.

Care to point some pics of the guide? How much did you pay for it?

[HP]

Took this photo today on my local mall.

23jfqqa.jpg

Want's... :(

Oh, I didn't realize the strategy guide comes with a litho. Is that only the case with the LE strat guide? Also, is it too late to try to secure one at this point?

I think this thread has the potential to pass halo 3's official thread in views.. its at 1,815,044 and this thread is allready at 514k and its hasent even been 2 weeks.. hmm well see really soon i suppose

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Not sure if it really counts as a spoiler or not, but we'll be on the safe side (about the beginning)-
MGS4 throws you right in at the deep end.
I've seen the intro.. and I love the way it starts out. It's kinda like
Black Hawk Down meets Jurassic Park.
<---- really NOT a spoiler at all.. just a comparison to two movies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DrBo42 said:
I just got the LE strat guide. The quality of this book is quite amazing, totally worth the purchase.
Does that strategy guide come with the purchase of LE box, or do you have to get it separately?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
bloody pirate said:
I think this thread has the potential to pass halo 3's official thread in views.. its at 1,815,044 and this thread is allready at 514k and its hasent even been 2 weeks.. hmm well see really soon i suppose

I doubt we will pass that one man, Halo people be crazy. But I want 10k posts in here by tomorrow!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
GalacticAE said:
Looks like La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo did the Altair finger thing too in that statue.
:lol First thing that popped into my head.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MortalMonkey said:
Oh, I didn't realize the strategy guide comes with a litho. Is that only the case with the LE strat guide? Also, is it too late to try to secure one at this point?

I just ordered one from amazon.

newsguy

It pays to have friends at gamestop. I went in today to pre order at my buddy's store with no problem. Fortunately all of my hype had been fully exhausted with the release of GTA so I won't be going crazy for Snake. That way I will be pleasantly surprised.

Kazenone said:
Tomorrow? Damn you're lucky, I still got to wait 35 more hours :(
Ditto. Although I'll be waiting more since I'm heading to my sister's place on Thursday, hopefully pick up the bundle later in the day and then have to get all the hookups and stuff for the system. I hope to be playing Thursday night.

ARGHHHHHH! I went into GameStop today to pay off the final amount of my prepay and they had like 40 copies of the LE sitting behind the register.

"Better be careful tempting people like that..." I said with a forced chuckle, hoping his answer would be 'oh, you just wanna take yours home today?'. Not what I got.

"Haha I know d00d... gotta put those in the back!" was his response.

All I could think of was "you fucking cock..."

eat a dick Konami... for releasing this goddamn game a day after normal releases and/or being so fucking strict on street dates. :(

Laurent

TheJollyCorner said:
ARGHHHHHH! I went into GameStop today to pay off the final amount of my prepay and they had like 40 copies of the LE sitting behind the register.

"Better be careful tempting people like that..." I said with a forced chuckle, hoping his answer would be 'oh, you just wanna take yours home today?'. Not what I got.

"Haha I know d00d... gotta put those in the back!" was his response.

All I could think of was "you fucking cock..."

eat a dick Konami... for releasing this goddamn game a day after normal releases and/or being so fucking strict on street dates. :(
You could have act innoncent and asking for you copy. Perhaps you reminded him that he wasn't supposed to sell these already with your "better be carefull" crap... ;oP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom