• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Hands on at Gamespot

We eagerly began playing through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes the moment it hit our offices, and will be bringing you a full review in time for the game's release. For now, we wanted to bring you our early impressions based on our first sitting with the game. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is, of course, the sequel to one of the best games of 2002. Retro Studios delivered a truly amazing and atmospheric game with the original Metroid Prime, so the sequel has a lot to live up to. For what it's worth, the game clearly follows in its predecessor's footsteps--it looks similar and plays similarly, featuring the same innovative control scheme that disguises this latest Metroid Prime as a first-person shooter, when in fact it's very much like the side-scrolling action adventure games on which it's based, only in full 3D. To make a long story short, we're quite impressed by what we've played so far, as the game seems to capture the same essence as its predecessor. But will that be enough?

We're pretty impressed by what we've played so far of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The environments are densely packed with detail and are interesting just to walk around in, and the game seems to draw you into its world, convincing you that you're exploring this bizarre, often dangerous landscape. The combat mechanics are as solid as ever, and the puzzle elements seem like they'll have a number of unique twists this time around. Of course, since the game is fundamentally similar to its predecessor, it'll be interesting to see if it manages to be similarly impressive overall, in the wake of that game's success and the time that's elapsed since its release.

LINK

Deg

Banned
We know you'll be sending flowers

Of course, since the game is fundamentally similar to its predecessor, it'll be interesting to see if it manages to be similarly impressive overall, in the wake of that game's success and the time that's elapsed since its release.

Not too different thankfully :) Not surprising given some of the big sequels this year.

Deg

Banned
Deepthroat said:
It'll be fun to see all Cubers cry when this game score lower than 9.7

Good times indeed.

i predict a 9.3 or something given the game doesnt have the hype as the other big sequels.

Mashing

Damn it... they didn't mention anything about hte music (one of my key aspects of a Metroid game... it has to have good music). I'm not worried though, I'm sure the soundtrack will kick ass from what I've heard about it so far.

olimario

Banned
589573_20041105_screen020.jpg
589573_20041105_screen016.jpg
589573_20041105_screen025.jpg
589573_20041105_screen032.jpg
589573_20041105_screen046.jpg
589573_20041105_screen045.jpg

SantaC

Mashing said:
Damn it... they didn't mention anything about hte music (one of my key aspects of a Metroid game... it has to have good music). I'm not worried though, I'm sure the soundtrack will kick ass from what I've heard about it so far.

Agree. The music and boss battles are damn important for me. I upgraded my surround system ready for prime 2.

Deepthroat said:

Good times indeed.

I predict 8.9

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nice , you can cancel visor by hitting A.

I do not care what number it gets, the words speak highly of the game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No matter what the score will be, i'll be picking this one up, it looks too good to pass up.

Solid

Sho Nuff said:
Did they actually include a true 16:9 mode this time around?
Nope. Matt confirmed it in IGNCube's Mailbag the other day.

Kinda retarded when it's developed by a western developer :S

Mrbob

Deepthroat said:

Good times indeed.

Funny statement considering you are the one who champions a game more obscure than Metroid Prime 2, which would be PoP2. :p

Culex

Banned
WTF? No 16:9!?

The general rule of thumb for Gamespot is that a good preview usually leads to a disappointing score.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I will make sweet and frequent love to this game.

Solid

Mrbob said:
Funny statement considering you are the one who champions a game more obscure than Metroid Prime 2, which would be PoP2. :p
PoP2 will rawk. Mark my words! It will easily (unless Kasavin's reading this) score over 9.0 :p

And even if shouldn't I wont cry, I promise ;)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Why did I watch those movies? :(

Game looks amazing.

Disapointed that they did not use voice for the ING or the video playback.

Thos IGS vids are slick as all holy hell. this game looks great! Better than I thought (and I thought it looked pretty slick before)

Kon Tiki

Banned
If anyone wants a full opening with tons of spoilers, then watch GI and IGN footage. They complement each others gaps.

olimario said:
That video that shows what happens to the Federation Troopers is AWESOME!
GOTY
You've said in the past that the art direction is dissapointing and a step back from MP1. Did you change your mind?

olimario

Banned
Operations said:
You've said in the past that the art direction is dissapointing and a step back from MP1. Did you change your mind?

Yes. I had a feeling I would once I saw more of the game.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Yeah, that video of the Federation ambush was very well done. You can tell that Retro put a hell of a lot more time into the cutscenes (and I noticed that there looks to be so much more cutscenes in this game than in the first if this is an indication of the begining of the game).

I dunno, some of the cinematic techniques remind me a bit of the ones used in Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Minus all the pretentious dialogue of course. :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Bacon said:
Yeah, I think the cinematic will really exceed my expectations.

if you expect it to exceed your expectations, then it isn't really exceeding your expectations at all, is it? :p

and i really like the title screen song on the mp2 demo. i can't remember -- did the original use the same song on its title screen?

edit: hang on, no. i just popped the demo in, and it isn't the title screen song that i like. the title screen song kinda sucks. i like some other song that uses the same lead instrument, which sounds vaguely like a synthesizer whistling. i think it's in one of the trailers.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Society said:
If anyone wants a full opening with tons of spoilers, then watch GI and IGN footage. They complement each others gaps.

If it's an opening, how could it be considered spoilers?? I mean, it's not like it's some big secret that will ruin the game, since it's the first thing you see when you start up the game.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kiriku said:
If it's an opening, how could it be considered spoilers?? I mean, it's not like it's some big secret that will ruin the game, since it's the first thing you see when you start up the game.

Opening 20 minutes (including gameplay). :p

SantaC

Mashing said:

Someone commented on the music in the new EGM:

"On the music side... everything the first game was and more. Each reviewer commented on the brilliant moody effects and sounds. Seems to be top notch."

Deg

Banned
Advice:

dont download unless you dont mind seeing spoilers. Some cool stuff.

Some of the msuic is superb!

Top Bottom