• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime bundle pack $99.99 MP2:E demo included

According to sources close to Nintendo, the company is planning to release a Metroid Prime-themed GameCube bundle this August in America. The package will allegedly include a GameCube and controller, a copy of the original Metroid Prime, and a demo of the anticipated sequel Metroid Prime 2, all for $99.99.

When questioned, sources were uncertain if Nintendo would sell or release the demo of Prime 2 separately.
The Retro Studios developed Metroid Prime debuted in November 2002 and has since sold through more than 1.1 million units in the US alone. The critically acclaimed first-person adventure stars Nintendo mascot and heroine Samus Aran on a new mission involving space and planet exploration and a wide range of enemy creatures.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, currently slated for a November release in America, is on schedule to one-up its predecessor in every way. The sequel will feature a deeper storyline, more advanced gameplay mechanics, more cinematics, more third-person based puzzle elements, and a new four-player split-screen mode to boot.

IGN contacted Nintendo of America for further details on the bundle, but the company did not get back to us in time for publish.

www.igncube.com

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Eugh, I guess I'll have to get on ebay to get myself that demo. Or hope Gamestop sells them even though they say "Not for Resale". Hopefully the demo is released seperately.

BuddyC

well at least you cited IGN :rolleyes

man, if they include a custom GC lid cover, a la Europe's MP bundle, that would rock.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You could provide a to IGN too you know...instead of copying the whole article

Anyway, they better have this demo available seperately

Mrbob

Don't have a Cube yet.

I'm alll over this bundle!

Do you get a Platinum Cube with this? I hope so!

NO PURPLE!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This is a pretty slow reaction to the recent price drops. I hope they don't discontinue this as quickly as they discontinued the Zelda pack-in. They need to keep this going until at least the end of the year.

AniHawk

Bishman said:
Good bundle! Hope this sells GCs this fall. Nintendo needs it. :/

It wont sell GCs unless it has a really good ad campaign. SSBM is the prime (no pun intended) choice to bundle GCs with.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Bishman said:
Good bundle! Hope this sells GCs this fall. Nintendo needs it. :/

I think they need a lot more than this to be honest. Dropping the price of this bundle to $79 would be a start. They need to be more than $50 cheaper than the PS2 and Xbox. Whenever they are within the $50 range they are in the danger zone. Their sales slowed dramatically compared to the competition when the competition dropped to $200 and they dropped to $150 and then they improved but now they are right back at square one.

AniHawk

JC10001 said:
I think they need a lot more than this to be honest. Dropping the price of this bundle to $79 would be a start.

They could do that next year. Doing that this year would ensure almost no options for the future.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
AniHawk said:
They could do that next year. Doing that this year would ensure almost no options for the future.

They could do what MS does and call it a "Holiday Bundle" that way they can keep the price at $79 for a year and drop it to $50 in Fall 2005.

cvxfreak

Nintendo would be brilliant if they included an RE4 demo in it.

But I also think Nintendo better do something about vanilla GameCube systems too. People will aim for the Prime bundle by default.

NotMSRP

I heard the Player's Choice version of MP is a slightly better version than the original MP, but it still doesn't include the features in the EURO or JP versions. Some lurking journalist should use his contacts at Nintendo to get something done. ;)

puck1337

Damn. That's pretty good. I agree that they should include both MP2 and RE4 demos with the bundle.

As usual, advertising will be the problem.

neptunes

A new demo disc this summer would also be smart move.

Imagine having one disc with demos of...

baten Kaitos
Re 4
MP 2
Paper Mario 2

*explodes*

It'll show people that the GC isn't dead yet :)

Jumpman

JC10001 said:
This is a pretty slow reaction to the recent price drops. I hope they don't discontinue this as quickly as they discontinued the Zelda pack-in. They need to keep this going until at least the end of the year.

I don't think that this is a reaction to the price cuts of Sony and Microsoft. I think this is Nintendo's way of drumming up as much attention for the Metroid franchise as possible, leading into the release MP2:E in november. This is a good sign that they are going to push MP2:E extra hard this holiday in an attempt to best MP's sales. It also shows Nintendo's new found commitment to the Metroid franchise. They seem determined to place Metroid right next to Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon in the public consciousness. Having a bundle will make certain that anyone who considers buying a Gamecube will know about Metroid.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
crawlingpeter said:
probably wouldve been a little more successful if some of the places around here didnt sell it for $40.

Haha,I can't believe Best Buy actually sold that demo disc for $39.99. WTF?

teiresias

Still not as good as buying the Costco bundle and just getting Metroid there for $18. Unless you're allergic to Indigo of course.

Memles

Wow...if they get Hunters out for DS, this looks to be a very Metroid Holiday Season...MP2, MP Bundle and MP:H are most definitely going to mean a high profile launch for all titles involved.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I hope it the PC version of MP. Have not played that version yet, it will be as close to the PAL version as we can get.

Deku Tree

I hope they'll mail me a MP2:E demo when I register my purchase of Star Fox and Pikmin 2 (or Tales of Symphonia) @ Nintendo.com!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Personally I don't like playing demos of games I'm definitely going to get anyway (especially only a few months before release), it takes something away from the game for me.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Personally I don't like playing demos of games I'm definitely going to get anyway (especially only a few months before release), it takes something away from the game for me.

What if that demo level is just a demo level. Not a real part of the game? Can not ruin the controls much, seeing as you prob already played MP.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well then I'd be incredibly pissed off if I didn't get it somehow.

But it won't be that, it'll probably be the E3 demo updated. I doubt Retro have the time to be making a whole new level just for a demo.

AniHawk

JC10001 said:
They could do what MS does and call it a "Holiday Bundle" that way they can keep the price at $79 for a year and drop it to $50 in Fall 2005.

Are you nuts? $49.99 for the console in 2005? I'd expect $69.99 then $49.99. They'll probably go to $49.99 to get rid of Cubes before the Revolution launch in 2006.

I really don't see a price drop this year though. It's not going to do much in the face of Halo 2 and Halo dropping to $20 and the Xbox being $150 with two games.

Top Bottom