• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt - First Screen

olimario

Banned
hunters.jpg

resized from
http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/549/549979/metroid-prime-first-hunt-20040921104034365.jpg

The demo, titled Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, will offer a first taste of the entire game, including single player modes of the first -person adventure, as well as a handful of multiplayer modes to take advantage of the system's wireless connectivity. Up to four players can join in Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks poor in pictures, but very impressive in motion. It was running at 60 fps during E3, which is quite an impressive feat.

Sadly, it seems like a game made out of the portion of Prime 2 that I didn't want and don't care about it.

SantaC

dark10x said:
Looks poor in pictures, but very impressive in motion. It was running at 60 fps during E3, which is quite an impressive feat.

Sadly, it seems like a game made out of the portion of Prime 2 that I didn't want and don't care about it.

This isn't the E3 version you know.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'm not sure how the controls work though. It's still using touch screen as you can see from the symbols.

SantaC

Mama Smurf said:
I'm not sure how the controls work though. It's still using touch screen as you can see from the symbols.

I think they changed it so the touch screen is optional now.

Memles

Mama Smurf said:

Oh yes; to switch to morph ball, select missiles, etc.

But to shoot? No, seems like they will be doing that with R and L.

Mama Smurf

I suspect that circle surrounding a dot symbol either locks on or fires, and the L button does the other.

i wonder if those pics are using the supposed second controller scheme that NST talked about.

im one of the few that thought that touch screen control worked really well. it just took like. 20 seconds or so to get down, and once you do, you have no problem with the controls. not to mention that you have flawless aim and can shoot anywhere on the spot.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Including single player modes of the first -person adventure,

Sounds like there is a real single player story mode here. They would call it an FPS if it was just deatmatch, but they're sticking with FPA just like in Metroid Prime.

EGM92

Damn the video from E3 looked alright... this was going to be one of the reasons to get DS for myself. I guess for DS it looks great, but I was expecting more :(

skip

The demo, titled Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, will offer a first taste of the entire game, including single player modes of the first -person adventure, as well as a handful of multiplayer modes to take advantage of the system's wireless connectivity. Up to four players can join in Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt.

neat, maybe? it's NST and not retro...

Mama Smurf

I don't know what the bottom left symbol does, if it does anything, but the touchscreen looks like it works like this:

Circle with dot inside: lock or fire/bomb (the other would be on L/R)
Missile symbol: Fire missile or switch to missiles
One above missile: Morphball

Moevement with the D-pad of course.

Mama Smurf

You guys are crazy, it looks great. The floor texture is the only thing bothering me.

It'll look even better in motion, given what we saw at E3.

Zilch

Banned
Insertia said:
doesn;t look n64 quality. looks like everything is made of out sprites instead of polygon (doom 1 style).

Well, it IS poygons. Except for that explosion in the background, obviously.

Memles

Insertia said:
doesn;t look n64 quality. looks like everything is made of out sprites instead of polygon (doom 1 style).

Oh god...we went through this at E3 too. It looks good in motion.

That sounds about right, Mama Smurf...but who knows. I do like that it is a bit more stylish than just a map on the top (now bottom)

Mama Smurf

I don't know why IGN or Nintendo or whoever think we want such blown up screens for handheld games, but even Olimario's resized pic is a bit larger than the actual DS screens.

In other words it'll look even better at actual size, won't be so stretched.

Kamille

Wow, that looks pretty damn good. Much better than before. I guess I'm in the minority here with that opinion, heh.

CrisKre

Wow, this game will be sexy. It really looks good in motion from E3 testing (it was said but it can't be stressed enough).

I really hope the stylus tipe control remains tough, I loved it.

Ristamar

Looks decent, especially if it runs at 60 fps as dark mentioned earlier. If the original Goldeneye is really slated for DS, I hope the framerate is boosted to 60 fps, or at least a rock solid 30 fps.

Ristamar said:
Looks decent, especially if it runs at 60 fps as dark mentioned earlier. If the original Goldeneye is really slated for DS, I hope the framerate is boosted to 60 fps, or at least a rock solid 30 fps.

Damn straight. I can't go back to anything on PlayStation or Nintendo 64 these days without finding frame rate a really irritating factor. I didn't notice or care at the time, but I'm way too spoilt by quality to go back. I won't buy anything running below 30 fps.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
probably the real news here is that the ds media is cheap enough to make widely-distributed demo carts possible. surely that's a first.

Memles

drohne said:
probably the real news here is that the ds media is cheap enough to make widely-distributed demo carts possible. surely that's a first.

Holy shit...they're like making four million of them, aren't they? Wow.

I think it'd be good if touch screen shooting was a power up.

It's quite possible that one of the options on the bottom screen enables it too. IIRC, there were some transitions at E3 shown where the content of each screen swapped around etc.

Come to the think of it, while the right-most icon looks like the Missiles icon from Metroid Prime, the one next to it kinda does look like a target or something. I'd love to hear some gameplay details. When does this World Tour thing start in Japan?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The single player game is not going to be ao much exploration based, but action based. Every mission is a bounty, some missions you will have to bounty 7 Metroids, or 3 Space Pirates, etc. There will be several one on one boss-enemy battles. Probably a mix of bosses from Metroid 1-2-3-4-Fusion-Prime-Prime 2.

Chony

Couldn't you use the bottom screen to aim, just as you would aim with a mouse for any PC FPS? That way, your hand wouldnt be in the way of the screen, which would be awesome. If only there were buttons on the stylus.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Shikamaru Ninja said:
The single player game is not going to be ao much exploration based, but action based. Every mission is a bounty, some missions you will have to bounty 7 Metroids, or 3 Space Pirates, etc. There will be several one on one boss-enemy battles. Probably a mix of bosses from Metroid 1-2-3-4-Fusion-Prime-Prime 2.
I like that idea. A Metroid game with, well, actual bounty hunting. Hopefully they'll have a money system where you can buy upgrades and weapons.

SantaC

Shikamaru Ninja said:

sounds like a cool idea. The "real" metroid game is coming for Gamcube anyway.

Memles

Shikamaru Ninja said:

What else do you know, Ninja? Spill it now!

I'm not surprised by that info, makes sense. Seems like the least Metroid Metroid game ever, but will likely still be good.

olimario

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

That sounds very interesting. Pikmin 2 challenge mode mixed with Metroid Prime.
Do you have any more info?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Still not all that sure what I think of this game, but the free demo might change my mind...

Top Bottom