• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexican pipeline explosion kills 70+ people.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/americas/mexico-gasoline-explosion-tlahuelilpan/index.html

(CNN)At least 73 people were killed in central Mexico after a ruptured gasoline pipeline exploded Friday evening, the governor of the State of Hidalgo, Omar Fayad, said Saturday in a news conference in Mexico City.
At least 74 people were injured, with seven of those under the age of 18 and one was 12 years old, Fayad said. He said some of the minors will be transferred to Shriners Hospital for Children in Galveston, Texas.

More at the link.

Graphic video warning.

Graphic video warning. Has people on fire, people running and screaming, etc. Watch at your own discretion.

Skyr

That video is crazy. What were all those people doing out there?

Basically picking up fuel in buckets as someone tapped into the line at this location.

That video is fucking horrific man. Made me sick to my stomach.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Ah I see. I remember a similar thing in another country a couple of years back where people went to grab fuel that was leaking and then it got lit and burnt them all

Azurro

Banned
That video is crazy. What were all those people doing out there?

They were there to steal gasoline, and drilled down into a gas pipeline to steal as much as they could.

It's a horrifying video, but, play stupid games, win stupid prices.

They were there to steal gasoline, and drilled down into a gas pipeline to steal as much as they could.

It's a horrifying video, but, play stupid games, win stupid prices.

Correct. These people are theives who steal and resell fuel for a living. They're called Huachicoleros.

There is no gas shortage. The Mexican government has placed a hold on deliveries in order to deal with these thieves.

Last edited:

Alfen Dave

Holy shit. Stuff is savage.

I've seen so many disgusting videos related to mexican cartels...these people are fucking ruthless, psychipatic and remorseless...

I'd hate to live naywhere near these demons tbh.

G-Bus

Banned
Is it true someone was smoking and that's what caused the gas to ignite?

Read that somewhere and I have a hard time.believing anyone is that stupid.

SKM1

Is it true someone was smoking and that's what caused the gas to ignite?

Read that somewhere and I have a hard time.believing anyone is that stupid.

tenor.gif

dionysus

Yaldog
If i stop drop and row would that even help in this situation?

No. Stop drop and roll works on fabric fires maybe. Also, if you are fully engulfed, not just on fire in a portion of your body, the fire just relights the smothered portion as soon as oxygen is present. There is a reason we burn gasoline in cars and not cotton.

Last edited:
Almost every case of burst oil pipeline + people gathering around to collect free oil = many dead and burnt. It isn't rocket science. I saw this coming the second I heard about them gathering around the pipeline. Darwin award nominations are in full swing again.

kingwingin

The op did a poor job explaining the situation.

Felt bad for these people till i read the thread and found out they were thieves

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Shoutout to the people who weren’t scared and still doing the human thing, putting out the fires. Thanks for the details OP.

Iorv3th

Correct. These people are theives who steal and resell fuel for a living. They're called Huachicoleros.

There is no gas shortage. The Mexican government has placed a hold on deliveries in order to deal with these thieves.

I have a coworker who goes back home to mexico in the winters. He just came back and was going to go back but he said he wasn't going too until the gas situation got fixed. Was saying a lot of stations are closed down because of people stealing gas and reselling it without paying for it etc.

What's weird is he was just telling me this last week. Then this weekend I see this on the news.

I wonder how much 'inflation' on the price of gas this causes, an article I read earlier said it has happened so much in 2018 it turned out to be like 40 something times per day.

pr0cs

How long till we have the idiot environmentalists claiming none of this would happen if we didn't have pipelines

Top Bottom