• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mgs3: Xbox bound? (ign mailbag)

neptunes

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
When I was at Game Rush the other day, I noticed that the display box for MGS3: Snake Eater had both the PS2 and Xbox logo on it. Has it been confirmed for Xbox? That would make my day.

Hey, good catch! That kind of makes sense, and it's what I've been hinting at all along. Konami has not yet officially announced Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for Xbox, but just like the first game, it will get a port sometime next year. That's a little slip that is as good as confirmation.

--Douglass

SOURCE: XBOX.IGN.COM (mailbag)

Is this true?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
if it wasn't such a big-name site, I'd say that was the most sarcastic thing I've ever read. But considering it's IGN, I'm just confused.

aku:jiki

Nerevar said:
if it wasn't such a big-name site, I'd say that was the most sarcastic thing I've ever read. But considering it's IGN, I'm just confused.
Wow, you got as far as interpreting it as sarcasm? I'm still stuck on trying to get it to make sense... :(

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=11301

Friday 2nd February 2001

METAL GEAR SOLID X VERIFIED

Our story caused a host of confusion on the Web: Kojima reckons it's a mix of Metal Gear one and two. Are we liars? Nope…

Although the specifics of our story regarding Metal Gear X may have been a little awry due to crossed wires, Metal Gear X has been confirmed by Konami today as being a mix of the original PlayStation version of Metal Gear Solid and PlayStation 2 killer app Metal Gear Solid 2. We admit it: there was no press conference in which Kojima confirmed the details, and we posted an erroneous piece due to translation difficulties. But the fact remains…
"It's like a directors cut," a Konami insider told CVG today. "There'll be elements of Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation and Metal Gear Solid 2 on PlayStation 2. It's not Metal Gear Solid 2. I know because I spoke to Mr Kojima himself about it, but that's all I know at the moment."That's all you need to know. Watch for upcoming shows Tokyo Game Show in March and US game showcase E3 in May for further announcements regarding Metal Gear X.

I remember when this, Metal Gear X that is, first was rumoured. Metal Gear X; it would be different from MGS2, and it would be Xbox exclusive. It was the big thing back then, when MGS2 was one of the most anticipated games and all. :p

unkasa

Banned
This is doubtful. Looks to be wishful thinking. Midas, which Sony exclusives (timed exclusives count) haven't staked a lucrative claim on the PS2 during their stay? Does the fact a game appears elsewhere 3 years later make it any less beneficial to system it appeared on? Anyway, this rumor is as credible as the now debunked "GTA:SA coming to Xbox" rumor that surfaced on Gamespot's forums.

firex

I wouldn't doubt it, just that it'd probably be 6 months or maybe even a full year after the PS2 version. Which would still pretty much make it a PS2 exclusive game.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Konami has not yet officially announced Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for Xbox, but just like the first game, it will get a port sometime next year.
Silicon Knights handling this one too? :lol

Spike

Society said:
Silicon Knights handling this one too? :lol

:lol

Anyways, it'll probably hit a year later. It'll almost assuredly be rereleased as MGS3:Substance for the PS2 at the same time.

Well if they make a PC version which I believe was announced then the Xbox version makes sense. I'd assume that worldwide Metal Gear Solid 2 on the Xbox has sold around 500 to 600K. Not great by any stretch, but that's pretty decent for a port.

SyNapSe

Well, considering MGS2:substance. I'd be surprised if the Xbox didn't eventually get a version.. it'll just be delayed.

Solid

Douglass should just buy a fucking PS2.

mgs3_e3.jpg

jarrod

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Well if they make a PC version which I believe was announced then the Xbox version makes sense.
No PC port was announced... IGN made that one up too. :/

CrimsonSkies said:
I'd assume that worldwide Metal Gear Solid 2 on the Xbox has sold around 500 to 600K. Not great by any stretch, but that's pretty decent for a port.
It's around 200k in the US iirc... so probably around 300k worldwide.

DarkCloud

Spike said:
Yeah, easily taken out.

Just like the Skateboard Evolution Snake demo was excluded from the Xbox version of Substance. Konami has no problem ripping extras from their PS2 to Xbox efforts so the monkey mini game likely won't mean nothing to an MGS3Substance style port down the road...

That or they can always toss in a Conker based mini game :D

MrparisSM

Banned
of course is coming out for the Xbox, have you not seen the momentum the Xbox has been having lately? The software sales have been right there on par with PS2 titles! :) Also of course they will not officially announce it, until they've milked the PS2 audience dry this holiday season. And we'll probably get a port in the spring, just like Sand Andreas.

Wouldn't MGS3's potential Xbox port be based on how well MGS2:S did (which wasn't very well, AFAIK)? Regardless, I hope there's no rain in MGS3 if it's going to Xbox ;)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Mr_Furious said:
Wouldn't MGS3's potential Xbox port be based on how well MGS2:S did (which wasn't very well, AFAIK)? Regardless, I hope there's no rain in MGS3 if it's going to Xbox ;)

Not really. When they do an Xbox port, they get a nearly-free PC port out of the deal. Thus, they have two SKUs on the shelf for the price of one. Plus, Konami doesn't even handle the distribution of their PC ports (VUG does), so they have little to worry about.

JayFro

Banned
I can't see MGS 3 selling as many copies this time around as MGS 2 did in the states. If all the codec is back at ungodly lengths word of mouth will probably spread and sales will fall short of MGS 2. Many internet gamers were turned off by the long cutscenes and codec conversations, I can't imagine many casuals completed the game or played it a second time through. I sure as heck didn't and I loved MGS on the PS1. For me snakeater is a rental at best if it has similar length in cutscenes and codec.

As far as it coming to the Xbox, no doubt in my mind both MGS 3 and GTA SA are both coming in 2005.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Considering the way exclusives are these days this doesn't suprise me in the least bit. Actually I would be suprised if the Xbox never received a port at some point down the road.

JayFro said:
I can't see MGS 3 selling as many copies this time around as MGS 2 did in the states. If all the codec is back at ungodly lengths word of mouth will probably spread and sales will fall short of MGS 2. Many internet gamers were turned off by the long cutscenes and codec conversations, I can't imagine many casuals completed the game or played it a second time through. I sure as heck didn't and I loved MGS on the PS1. For me snakeater is a rental at best if it has similar length in cutscenes and codec.

As far as it coming to the Xbox, no doubt in my mind both MGS 3 and GTA SA are both coming in 2005.

If game sales were determined by what internet gamers thought then Katamari Damacy would be one of the biggest titles this year.

JayFro

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If game sales were determined by what internet gamers thought then Katamari Damacy would be one of the biggest titles this year.

Get ready...........it ain't gonna hit 2 million. :)

Alcibiades

I've been saying it forever, MGS 3 is doing to disappoint in sales numbers...

You've already got blockbuster titles like THUG 2 and NFSU: 2 outside of all the exclusive titles that are going to get all the attention...

MGS 3 will sell very well, maybe even Fable-type numbers, but I just don't see the hype with casuals that was there with MGS 2.

Same thing with Devil May Cry, first one did great against GTA out of the Capcom hype it had, but there's just so much out there and UbiSoft, EA, and Rockstar have gained so much traction for their titles that I think MGS 3 is going to have a hard time competing...

JayFro

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Worldwide or in the US?

In the US it isn't going to hit 2 million. Many casuals were turned off by MGS 2, as much as internet people think the game was great many casuals thought it was a snooze fest.

JayFro said:
In the US it isn't going to hit 2 million. Many casuals were turned off by MGS 2, as much as internet people think the game was great many casuals thought it was a snooze fest.

It'll still come close to 2 million and its average of 5 million worldwide. They'll be down slightly from MGS2 but nothing drastic.

JayFro said:

Are you kidding? Were you even on the 'net to feel the full force of the Raiden/Ending plot twist backlash. Hell it's only in the last year or so that it's been okay to rate the game again.

Anyway I think marketing is going for be vitally important for MGS3 more so than might of been had there not been those elements to MGS2. They need to push a lot of the more flashy stuff like the gun turret/chopper cliff face battle form the E3 trailer.

Top Bottom