• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MI3 out, War of the Worlds in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattergen

Looks like we will be seeing War sooner than expected...

Paramount Pictures is switching its tentpole pictures for next year. "Mission: Impossible 3," which has been plagued by director problems, is out, and "War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise, is in.

The studio said Wednesday that instead of beginning production on "M:I-3" this summer, as had been originally planned, Cruise will instead go directly into Spielberg's modern-day adaptation of the H.G. Wells classic about a Martian invasion of Earth. "War," which has been in development for some time, will begin filming in November for a release next year -- the exact date has not yet been decided.

Source and more

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yea, Spielberg's movie on the Olympics hostage crisis has been running into some issues so this isn't surprising.

Pattergen

I don't think Indy 4 was supposed to start for quite awhile anyways.

What is surprising here is that a $100 million production is scratched for a year right before shooting was supposed to begin. Sure it works out for Spielberg and Cruise, they were going to do this shit anyways. But what about everyone else involved? Screwed.

AniHawk

Here's the casting for Indiana Jones 4 (that we know so far):

John Rhys-Davies ........... Sallah
Sean Connery ........... Indiana Jones
Harrison Ford ............ Professor Henry Jones

MASB

ManaByte said:
Yea, Spielberg's movie on the Olympics hostage crisis has been running into some issues so this isn't surprising.
I read recently that Steven said production was delayed on the movie because one of the hostage takers was still around and not in jail (I presume he was worried about some attack or whatever). I was thinking, the guy was still at large before he ever started pre-production of the movie, did Steven only just now figure out that one of the guys wasn't in jail? Seemed like a lame and illogical of excuse to me.

I hope the MI3 delay doesn't mean that Scarlett Johansson is out of the movie. Heck, I thought production had already started, but I guess Cruise was just traveling around looking at MI3 movie locations.

As for Indy 4, I hope it never gets made now. Because by the time it did, Harrison Ford would be so decrepid that Sean Connery would have to carry him around in the movie.

EDIT:
Here's the casting for Indiana Jones 4 (that we know so far):

John Rhys-Davies ........... Sallah
Sean Connery ........... Indiana Jones
Harrison Ford ............ Professor Henry Jones
lol. So true.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
""War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise, is in."

Starring Tom Cruise as the Journalist? hmmm....
I'm guessing it's not set in England then?

There are to be two War Of the Worlds films, i understand. The Spielberg one and one from ... um... i forget. One of them is actually based on the novel (the non-Spielberg one, which is reported to have M Caine (YES!) as the journalist and set in 19th Century england AS GOD INTENTED!) , and i swear, so god help me , i will cleave Spielbergs head from his shoulders if ANY of the following occurs :

1. The war machines look shit
2. The Humans "win" by means of combat
3. The Humans aren't TOTALLY crushed (no ID4 shit, the whole point is supposed to be the utter destruction of mankind)

I don't see the point in setting this in modern times - ID4 is basically the same story, and the War of The Worlds film from 1982 (?) did an update already. Just give us the f*cking version of the f*cking book with out F*CKING with it. for fucksake.

I hardly read AT ALL but blood will spill if this film bastardizes the book.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wow, so today's developments:

1. Spielberg's Munich project to start filming June 2005, with a current rewrite being done by Tony Kushner. Eric Bana still set to star, but Ben Kingsley had to drop out (so he could do Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne... I kid, I kid... not).

2. Mission: Impossible 3 start date pushed to next summer with J.J. Abrams set to make his film debut as director.

3. War of the Worlds is on, for a November start.

Not bad. Of all those projects War of the Worlds is the one I'm most looking forward to. I love Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind and pretty much all of his sci-fi flicks. I don't even care if it remains faithful to the novel or whatever. I just want a great invasion story with some really creepy/disturbing/scary moments like Close Encounters had (ie. when the little boy was abducted and the mother was going nuts in the kitchen).

I'm excited. 2005 holds a lot of films I'm really quite optimistic about and are aimed right at my tastes. Very cool.

DCharlie

"I don't even care if it remains faithful to the novel or whatever."

it can deviate -a little- but if it RUINS any of the main premises, then that's just not acceptable.

for me anyways.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
One of my favorite oldie goldie movies of all time... they'd better not f'ck it up.

War Of The Worlds is a classic. They cannot top it, no matter who stars in it, and who directs it. Like virtually any remake, it is a desecration to the image of the original.

Prospero

This may throw a monkey wrench into Michael Mann's next movie as well.

The Few (2005)

Plot Outline: Tom Cruise stars in the true-life story of American pilot Billy Fiske, who ignored his country's neutrality rules in the early days of WWII and flew Hurricanes against the Germans.

Oddly enough, I checked this page two days ago, and it said "shooting is scheduled to begin mid- to late 2004." Now it just says the film's status is "scripting." Maybe Cruise will do this after the Spielberg movie?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Error Macro said:
War Of The Worlds is a classic. They cannot top it, no matter who stars in it, and who directs it. Like virtually any remake, it is a desecration to the image of the original.

Signs is a remake of War of the Worlds, too. Similar ending (aliens defeated by something found in abundance in nature), and a similar theme of faith leading to salvation from evil.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SteveMeister said:
Signs is a remake of War of the Worlds, too. Similar ending (aliens defeated by something found in abundance in nature), and a similar theme of faith leading to salvation from evil.

How dare you compare the masterpiece that is War of the Worlds to ...Signs.... I will now hate you FOREVER!

DCharlie

"Signs is a remake of War of the Worlds, too. Similar ending (aliens defeated by something found in abundance in nature), and a similar theme of faith leading to salvation from evil."

.... the book is about (metaphorically of course) the British romping around the world and stomping over nations with superior technology.

Faith does NOT save mankind , and if it does in this film, i'll f*cking BARF.
That suggestion is made in the original film remake of the book and that also left me a bit miffed, but i guess a modern audience may have issues with the actual ending (as detailed in the book) ?

In fact, unless i'm going mad, faith is shown as useless in the book and the musical, with the Parson embodying the "strike them down with my holy cross", "Foreign devils" attitude.

Quite an interesting movie to make given the current global climate, given the masses of metaphor available.

Hence, my feelings are that faith should not be the saviour and the US should not defeat the aliens by means of combat. If either of these two things are inserted, then Spielberg shall perish for missing the point, but i don't expect him to....

ps. Am i the only one who thought Minority Report was shite???

Dan

MoxManiac said:
Harrison Ford will be walking with a cane by the time they fucking get around to Indy 4.
They shouldn't make another period. With all parties involved doing other projects for at least the next year and a half, I'm hoping they just scrap the entire thing. It's too late at this point, and the first three films work really well as a set already.

Meier

This has caused the HSX stock to surge about 20 points in the past 24 hours or so.. thank God I saw this thread last night and bought a ton of it. :D

WARWD 40000 H$63.82 H$82.32 +3.00 H$3,292,800.00 H$740,000.00 +28%

Meier

Also, ILM looks to be on board:

Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds," which just got an accelerated green light from Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks, is likely to reteam the director with VFX whiz Dennis Muren and Industrial Light + Magic. Producer Kathleen Kennedy is already beginning negotiations with the Northern California effects house, and Muren is likely to oversee the job, with Paramount exec Mark Baski supervising for the studio. As it happens, Muren was in Los Angeles this week taking meetings while also attending Siggraph, the annual computer graphics confab. The shot count for "War" has yet to be determined, but it is not expected to be as large as some recent summer films. "Minority Report," overseen by ILM's Scott Farrar (while Muren worked on "The Hulk"), contained about 400 shots, while "Artificial Intelligence: AI," on which Spielberg and Muren last collaborated, had close to 300 shots. If ILM does land the job, the timing would be fortuitous: The facility has nearly completed work on Paramount's "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" and is looking at boards for shows with late-winter/early-spring starts. (Sheigh Crabtree)

DCharlie

oh yeah, another thing occured to me...

isn't all of HG Welles works now , basically, Public Domain?

War of the Worlds is well past that 70 year mark! :)
The book is some achievement given it's over 100 years old.
I mean... WTF?!?!?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Wasn't Indy 4 supposed to start production NOW but Lucas didn't like Darabont script and they are now waiting Lucas to finish Ep3 so he can rewrite it ?

Edit : and wasn't Spielberg against movie that feature "evil" aliens ?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
DCharlie said:
"Signs is a remake of War of the Worlds, too. Similar ending (aliens defeated by something found in abundance in nature), and a similar theme of faith leading to salvation from evil."

.... the book is about (metaphorically of course) the British romping around the world and stomping over nations with superior technology.

Faith does NOT save mankind , and if it does in this film, i'll f*cking BARF.
That suggestion is made in the original film remake of the book and that also left me a bit miffed, but i guess a modern audience may have issues with the actual ending (as detailed in the book) ?

In fact, unless i'm going mad, faith is shown as useless in the book and the musical, with the Parson embodying the "strike them down with my holy cross", "Foreign devils" attitude.

Quite an interesting movie to make given the current global climate, given the masses of metaphor available.

Hence, my feelings are that faith should not be the saviour and the US should not defeat the aliens by means of combat. If either of these two things are inserted, then Spielberg shall perish for missing the point, but i don't expect him to....

ps. Am i the only one who thought Minority Report was shite???

Sorry, I meant "remake" as in "remake of the original movie", not as in "another film based on the book".

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well, with Lucas involved in Indy 4 we can probably expect a CGI-rendering of an earlier Harrison Ford merely voiced by the actual actor...

Dan

Diablos said:
So MI3 is never going to be finished/released?
Reading is your friend.

Dan said:
2. Mission: Impossible 3 start date pushed to next summer with J.J. Abrams set to make his film debut as director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom