• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Moore receives death threats; forced to hire body guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santo

Moore is also facing a different kind of broadside from Republican rivals: A bunch of Bushies are bankrolling a film festival in Dallas. Set to take place Sept. 9-11, the so-called American Film Renaissance will unspool documentaries attempting to debunk Moore's film, including Michael Wilson's Michael Moore Hates America.

If that wasn't bad enough, Moore has been forced to hire several bodyguards--this after he reportedly received numerous death threats.

oh dear..

full story

explodet

So this film festival in Dallas is going to take place on Sept. 11, 2004?

... I question the wisdom of this decision.

Tekky

I encourage the "Bushies" to spend lots of time and money on their project. It keeps them occupied. And hopefully, they'll keep their film in Dallas, where it really doesn't matter.

I think he said on Stern this morning that the people who owned the theaters that played his film were getting death threats, not him...

http://www.debbieschlussel.com

Not just the film--but the audience that populated the promotional screening I attended--looked like it came out of far-stage-left of Democratic Party central casting.

Those surrounding me were literally the "Great Unwashed." They smelled as if they hadn’t taken a shower in weeks, not because they couldn’t afford running water, but because it’s cool to be dirty and nasty in the far-left. Not for any good reason, but just because they can. With their awful stench wafting universal, they want to make the rest of us as miserable and skanky as the Hate-America crowd.

Believe me, I can't think of a more fitting way to drive a message home than to unnecessarily deride a group of people you disagree with at the end of an editorial. Brilliant.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
mjq jazz bar said:
http://www.debbieschlussel.com

Believe me, I can't think of a more fitting way to drive a message home than to unnecessarily deride a group of people you disagree with at the end of an editorial. Brilliant.
I heard Moore is fat too, can you believe it, in summary his new film sucks.

p.s. he is fat too.

But in all seriousness though, last night on the Daily Show Stewart asked if he had received death threats and Moore laughed and shrugged, then went straight and said something to the effect of "Why? Do you know something I don't know?"

I am sure he will receive a threats, but I don't think he will receive any of with any kind of serious intent.

Debbie Schlussel said:
Mark Twain, once said, "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

But Twain lived in the 19th Century. In the 21st Century, there are lies, damn lies, and Michael Moore "documentaries."
Interesting. I didn't know Michael Moores films had replaced statistics, I guess that stat class I took was a waste :(.

fart said:
my, what a classy lady
menu1.gif

People are still throwing around the "hate America" stuff toward people that disagree with Bush? Those people would be ain for a big shock if they went to a country that actually did hate America.

Dujour

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's amazing that people could want someone dead just because their political views aren't the same.
What's so amazing about it? Seems kinda normal to me. Politics, and religion, the things that people fight over.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
I agree.

poll.gfx.jpg

LYNCH THEM ALL!
I am sorry this poll is made using statistics which have been replaced with michael moore films in the 21st century. Please show who does and does not support clinton with the use of a michael moore film.

B'z-chan

Banned
Serafitia said:
What's so amazing about it? Seems kinda normal to me. Politics, and religion, the things that people fight over.

Now if we could only destroy both all together then peace might be obtainable? Politics i hate it, Religion i hate in the same vein. But they both have there purpose i guess. I aint hating. I'm just speaking my mind.

When will we ever have peace?

Serafitia said:

Because it seems rather pointless when you've got that much hatred toward people in your own country. It's one reason that I can't take politics or religion too seriously. Both seem to cause way too much (pointless) hatred among people.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
It's amazing that people could want someone dead just because their political views aren't the same.
See MLK jr, JFK, Ghandi, Malcom X, Reagan, Lincoln etc. etc. etc. :(

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
To be fair, spreading rumours that you've received death threats concerning your 'facts' is a nice way to get publicity. See Darl McBride...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
iapetus said:
To be fair, spreading rumours that you've received death threats concerning your 'facts' is a nice way to get publicity. See Darl McBride...
I totally agree with you. But, why not say he got them on the daily show, or in other interviews? I can see why you may want it to "look like a secret" or just leak it through "sources" but that would seem a bit complicated and elaborate to drum up addmitadly minor press when he is getting all the free press he wants from Disney, the ads potentially being pulled, title contraversy etc.

I vote distortion of rumors, but who knows for sure.

karasu

SolidSnakex said:
Because it seems rather pointless when you've got that much hatred toward people in your own country. It's one reason that I can't take politics or religion too seriously. Both seem to cause way too much (pointless) hatred among people.

If it wasn't politics, or religion, it'd just be something else like general morals or social matters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SolidSnakex said:

Death threats are quite foolish regardless of the situation...but I'd say this goes deeper than simple politics. Moore himself is an asshole who pretty much treats people with virtually no respect while trying to come off as a "victim" or "savior". It's amazing how one-sided the man really is, but many people who view his films are not even able to look beyond the bullshit...

SolidSnakex said:

People send death threats to anyone in the public eye. Chuck Austen received some and he just writes the Uncanny X-Men.

after seeing that movie last night, it just made me absolutely sick. despite the fact it indeed is a movie- its also a documentary and our life.

this just makes me want to move back to new zealand even more. none of that political bullshit ever happens there.

Nikashi

Banned
astro_girl said:
after seeing that movie last night, it just made me absolutely sick. despite the fact it indeed is a movie- its also a documentary and our life.

this just makes me want to move back to new zealand even more. none of that political bullshit ever happens there.

Just come up north, and bring Patrick too.

canada.gif

Why in the hell would I want to spend $20 bucks on a date to see this, with another $10 for soda and popcorn? If I want to see this stupid shit I'll turn on Fox News or CNN. I go to the movies to be entertained. Not to validate my own conspiracy bullshit.

Spider-Man 2 save us!

Fifty

I live in Canada. I'm totally anti-american! :p

That's why I'm moving back to the states...

God bless America....and god bless free speech. ;)

GG-Duo

dark10x said:
Moore himself is an asshole who pretty much treats people with virtually no respect while trying to come off as a "victim" or "savior".

No respect? I'd say his passion and genuine sympathy of the poor (especially to those in Flint) is what gets him those awards.

Pattergen

CrimsonSkies said:
Why in the hell would I want to spend $20 bucks on a date to see this, with another $10 for soda and popcorn? If I want to see this stupid shit I'll turn on Fox News or CNN. I go to the movies to be entertained. Not to validate my own conspiracy bullshit.

Spider-Man 2 save us!

I think some of the point of the movie is to show what Fox News and CNN doesn't show us. It is an entertaining expierence for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom