• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Owen to Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid

Now it's finally official.

http://www.realmadrid.com/web_realmadrid/templates/prehome/noticia_eng.htm

471.jpg

495.jpg

He got jersey #11. I have no idea why they bought him. They should've gone for Viera instead imo :)

Socreges

Banned
I'm way behind, so someone explain to me which forward must be on the outs, if he isn't already. Raul would be my first guess. Ronaldo's younger and still exceptional.

Ill Saint

No reports of strikers leaving Real. But Antonio Nunez, a right winger who hasn't got a look-in, is going to Liverpool as part of the Owen deal.

ourumov

Poor guy...
Nobody has given a fuck about him...It's a desesperate move since they know they are not going to get Vieira...
Let's see: Raul, Morientes, Ronaldo, Guti and Owen...
And they still wanted Eto'o...(which ended at FCBarcelona :) )
Lol...Defence this year on RM promises to be as good as last year.

Força Barça !!!! Aquest any si !!!!

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
I can't see him getting into the starting eleven, Raul, Ronaldo and Morientes are far better strikers in my opinion and he'll be coming on with 10 minutes to go when Real are winning 3-0.

I see it as a little bit of desperation on the part of Madrid, as the Vieira deal was stalling and Perez had to fufill his promise of a 'Galactico' singing, but Micheal Owen doesn't fit that bill.

Real should've snapped up Vieira (I wouldn't be surprised if they renewed their interest in Xabi Alonso) and Carvalho (Colochinni from Villarreal is now being mentioned) as that what they needed most and not another striker.

La Liga will be fantastic this season, especially with a rejuvinated Barcelona who have made fantastic singings (Deco, Giuly, Larsson, Eto'o, Edmilson, etc) and Valenica keeping a strong squad with the addition of Fiore, Corradi and Di Vaio.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
just what england needs, an unfit owen to partner unfit Beckham in the team.

I dont understand why Real want Owen anyway, Raul and Ronaldo are both much much better.

Apparently they lost out on Viera because he demanded to be on the same wages as Los Galacticos.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Força Barça !!!! Aquest any si !!!!

Indeed, I really do feel Barca can do the double of La Liga and the Champions League.
Ronaldinho is the finest player on the planet and with him, as well as Deco,Giuly, Larsson and Eto'o, they've got argubaly the finest attacking force in Europe.

*Thinks back to the last 'El Derbi' and Ronaldinho wiping the floor with Real*

The chipped pass through to Xavi for the 2nd goal was poetry in motion.

Me = :D

Solid

I can't wait for La Liga to begin! :D

I'll hold myself by seeing Chelsea-Manchester later this afternoon after the F1 :)

DSN2K

Edmilson is crap and Deco im not convinced can handle La Liga, Chelsea pulled out of the deal for that reason, man is weak and Spanish defenders are going take him apart.

Giuly is a player I like.

Shinobi

I'm still amazed that my Gunners kept Viera...all indications were that he was gone like Saddam. I reckon Chelsea's still the favourite to win the EPL, so I just hope they can go undefeated for (at least) the next three games and break that record streak, then beat Man United out for second.

Leon

Real Madrid is the Microsoft of football. Buy first, think later. :p

Arsenal - Everton in 30 minutes, w00t.

tbh 8million is a steal, a season ago you'd be expecting at least 20million for owen. Still he's going to have to get back to his best (which he hasn't been in a while) if he's going to get a game.

Come on Ronaldo/Raul come to man utd :p

Fowler

You're missing out on a few things here. Firstly, Owen was DIRT CHEAP. £8 million? He'll pay that back in merchandising. He's not as big as Ronaldo or Beckham of course, but he's a very decent money-spinner in Asia.

Secondly, yes, Real have Raul and Ronaldo... but they don't actually have anyone else. They shipped Portillo off to Fiorentina. Morientes is still being offered up for loan, even though him playing in Europe seriously curtails any hopes they once had of offloading him. But that's it. Their strikeforce for the season would effectively be Raul and Ronaldo. No replacements, not even youth-teamers. We saw what happened to Real as they died down the stretch last year, and as brilliant as Ronaldo is he is injury-prone. What happens when Ronaldo is injured? Or tired? You need replacements. Since Owen was being offered up for peanuts, why not? You need striking cover and you got a very good one for something like three times less than Chelsea paid for DIDIER DROGBA.

(Side note: Real never "wanted" Eto'o. They OWN half of Eto'o already. Eto'o caused enough trouble for Valdano in the past that Real's only interest in him was to get a good transfer fee and ensure that he wouldn't be transferred to a rival like Barcelona, since he has made it his personal mission recently to destroy Real. They suceeded in the former and failed in the latter. There was never any question at any point that Eto'o would ever play for Real again.)

Thirdly, yes, Real needed Vieira. But this was never an either Owen or Vieira deal -- the Owen deal cost Real virtually nothing, which is why they wanted to pursue it alongside Vieira. The problem with the Vieira deal was that they were unwilling to pay him as much as Beckham, Zidane and Ronaldo. Owen accepted a lower wage than them, but Vieira refused. There is still a belief that Real will call Vieira's bluff before the Champions League deadline (August 31st) and offer him a fat new deal to tempt him.

And lastly, everyone is forgetting that Real DID actually sign a defender this year. They bought Walter Samuel from Roma very early in the off-season, remember? While Walter Samuel alone will not ensure that Real have a water-tight defence, they will be much better because he is VERY VERY good. In the current top 10 of defenders right now, definitely.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
(Side note: Real never "wanted" Eto'o. They OWN half of Eto'o already. Eto'o caused enough trouble for Valdano in the past that Real's only interest in him was to get a good transfer fee and ensure that he wouldn't be transferred to a rival like Barcelona, since he has made it his personal mission recently to destroy Real. They suceeded in the former and failed in the latter. There was never any question at any point that Eto'o would ever play for Real again.)

Didn't he already do that when he completely spanked Real at the Bernabeau last season with Mallorca? :D

Fowler

That's exactly what I was referring to -- ANY chance to destroy Real is a good one for him, and where better to do so than at Real's greatest rivals? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom