• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s ‘World of Warcraft’ Gaming Staff is Unionizing

Draugoth

Gold Member

World of Warcraft workers have voted to unionize the popular video-game franchise, expanding organized labor’s new foothold at Microsoft Corp. by around 500 employees.

An arbitrator overseeing an election at the company determined that a majority of the Warcraft team’s employees have supported the Communications Workers of America, the union said.

Their organizing effort, which brings the number of unionized US gaming employees at Microsoft to around 1,750, was buoyed by the company’s unusually union-friendly stance. The new bargaining unit, which includes artists, designers, engineers, producers and quality assurance testers, could help spur more organizing at the company.

“It’s exciting to potentially raise the standards of the entire industry as siblings in organizing,” said Kathryn Friesen, a Warcraft designer and member of the union’s organizing committee.

Will start relying on contractors more then and will gradually shave off the existing workforce.

Good for them. I wonder who the new dev team will be for World of Warcraft 2.
Lol nobody is going to develop World of Warcraft 2. The transitions are too risky to do and development takes too much. So it is easier (and better) to support the current entry. Engine upgrades and stuff, but a new version - not going to happen. Both Warzone 2 and OW2 failed to bring all the people from the previous making some people to abandon the game entirely. And then even have to bring Caldera (or something) bring back some people that did not want to move to W2. And those are much younger games than WoW.

It is the same thing why Fortnite 2 is not going to happen - they transitioned to a engine but the game by itself is still Fortnite.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Will start relying on contractors more then and will gradually shave off the existing workforce.

Lol nobody is going to develop World of Warcraft 2. The transitions are too risky to do and development takes too much. So it is easier (and better) to support the current entry. Engine upgrades and stuff, but a new version - not going to happen. Both Warzone 2 and OW2 failed to bring all the people from the previous making some people to abandon the game entirely. And then even have to bring Caldera (or something) bring back some people that did not want to move to W2. And those are much younger games than WoW.

It is the same thing why Fortnite 2 is not going to happen - they transitioned to a engine but the game by itself is still Fortnite.
But FFXIV did a great job gaining more audience than FFXI ever had, so its not unheard of.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
chorizo was also right.

rejected vince mcmahon GIF by WWE

But FFXIV did a great job gaining more audience than FFXI ever had, so its not unheard of.
FF14 was able to pull that off because FF14 2010 failed and did not gain much traction. WOW was like 9 years already at the time of FF14 -> Realm Reborn transition. FF14 was a very peculiar case due to relative lack of success of FF14 OG. It was basically a soft relaunch With WOW another issue entirely is the fact that it has been on PC for so long that it is BC with the past (literally), it is not even a case of "we don't support old consoles" anymore case.

I think the transition post Destiny 2 will be interesting - will playerbase move to Marathon or not? Some of them will, but not all.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
was buoyed by the company’s unusually union-friendly stance.​

That's the bad thing about unions. When you don't have unions (or you have several) you need to agree raises and bonuses with far too many people so, say, a developer might be able to get a better raise than a QA, or a tester might get a better raise than a support. When they all unionize under the same union Microsoft can get a better deal, averaging the raises or setting a higher bar for bonuses. An union might understand that it can accept programmers getting a lower raise if those with lower salaries get a better one which, in the short term, damages development (as in, programmers) ability to get better remuneration.

rm082e

With a greater number of people exiting the workforce than coming in, the labor market is in a deficit right now. It will be for at least another ten years. So we're going to see more and more unions popping up all over the place in the years to come. Those who are at the highest risk of lay-offs will be the first to join unions. This has been expected for years as we saw Gen Z was significantly smaller than retiring Boomer generation.

If you're not super happy with your job, it's a good time to explore your options and send out some resumes. I know several people who have made job changes in the last few years where they were surprised by the opportunities out there. My brother (CPA) recently got a 40% increase in overall compensation by moving to a different company.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good. I hope it works out for them and that better working conditions leads to better worker retention so that their talented employees don't decide to move down the street to Riot who actually pays them well, leading to a better product.

I'm confused... if the helps people keep their jobs why is this bad?

It's not intrinsically bad. Like any organized group of people, unions can be done well or done poorly, but lots of Americans like to think that the problem is naturally more on the workers' side rather than the multibillion dollar corporation that can afford to pay more but refuses to do so because of a disproportionate power imbalance of leverage.

Xbox is going to be hamstrung with big corp MS, unions, and western DEI shit while the East devs are gonna be like, sucks for you! Here’s Stellar Blades photo mode with a zoom in on crotch button.

Puscifer

FF14 was able to pull that off because FF14 2010 failed and did not gain much traction. WOW was like 9 years already at the time of FF14 -> Realm Reborn transition. FF14 was a very peculiar case due to relative lack of success of FF14 OG. It was basically a soft relaunch With WOW another issue entirely is the fact that it has been on PC for so long that it is BC with the past (literally), it is not even a case of "we don't support old consoles" anymore case.

I think the transition post Destiny 2 will be interesting - will playerbase move to Marathon or not? Some of them will, but not all.
I would just add ARR is beyond a soft relaunch. Its a totally different game and I think a lot of it had to do with 2 years of free play taking feedback from players. It even had a completely new engine, which is amazing to think about that they rebuilt an entire MMO in that short timespan. No Mans Sky is the only other miracle story I can think of

With layoffs being what they are in the industry lately, I can see why they'd want to. This probably grinds Phil's gears though, the dominos have started falling.
You can still get laid off in a union, happens all the time with the car companies. Firing is more difficult. Sounds like they want they want less contractual work and more stability.

Pejo

You can still get laid off in a union, happens all the time with the car companies. Firing is more difficult. Sounds like they want they want less contractual work and more stability.
You can, but at least you have some protections and guarantees typically in a CBA that the union uses as leverage.

How does one team within a studio unionize? Are they in fact a separate legal entity within Blizzard Entertainment?

Phil: “This deal is getting worse all the time.”

RPSleon

Pretty sure its not legal to make someone redundant and immediately refill that role.

Hari Seldon

I expect that when people quit they will not be replaced. It is very easy to outsource portions or all of your game development. Especially for WoW which is played by addicts.

Mortisfacio

Outsource the UI team to the add-on community. They've made better stuff than the WoW dev team almost the entirety of the games lifecycle.

Get rid of everyone who thought "The real power was the friends we made along the way..." was a good bit of story for Dragonflight.

Get rid of every quest designer that thought pulling weeds and cleaning up leaves was cool.

Get rid of the entire Druid class team.

Keep Metzen, even if he's responsible for point #2, but in that case keep him on just to speak to fans. The community loves him too much.

Microsoft has openly encouraged this, for the ones thinking Microsoft are not happy with this, from 2022.

• We recognize that employees have a legal right to choose whether to form or join a union. We respect this right and do not believe that our employees or the company’s other stakeholders benefit by resisting lawful employee efforts to participate in protected activities, including forming or joining a union.

Fess

Microsoft has openly encouraged this, for the ones thinking Microsoft are not happy with this, from 2022.

• We recognize that employees have a legal right to choose whether to form or join a union. We respect this right and do not believe that our employees or the company’s other stakeholders benefit by resisting lawful employee efforts to participate in protected activities, including forming or joining a union.
They’re not encouraging it, they’re respecting employees rights to do it.

But as an outsider with 30 years of experience working within unions in a couple different fields. It’ll be fine. There are positives and negatives but reading here makes it seem like unions are completely new and unheard of, so many exaggerated takes.

Outsource the UI team to the add-on community. They've made better stuff than the WoW dev team almost the entirety of the games lifecycle.

Get rid of everyone who thought "The real power was the friends we made along the way..." was a good bit of story for Dragonflight.

Get rid of every quest designer that thought pulling weeds and cleaning up leaves was cool.

Get rid of the entire Druid class team.

Keep Metzen, even if he's responsible for point #2, but in that case keep him on just to speak to fans. The community loves him too much.
I think a lot of outsource can be even beneficial for Bethesda and stuff. I mean we literally had a team creating an android version of WoW or something. Plus all those other people who develop huge mods and so on. Can turn them into contractors and call it a day.

killatopak

Gold Member
Their cinematics team don't deserve to be there. Quality dropped.

What the hell am I supposed to infer except some dancing and armor wearing?

Mortisfacio

Their cinematics team don't deserve to be there. Quality dropped.

What the hell am I supposed to infer except some dancing and armor wearing?

This last one I kind of liked, but it was below average. The reveal one with Anduin and Thrall though, that was top tier for me, so I'll let it slide.

Top Bottom