• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s new Xbox Game Pass Standard tier is now available to test for $1

Topher

Gold Member
This new Standard tier is designed to replace the Game Pass for Console option for new subscribers.

Microsoft is starting to test its new Xbox Game Pass Standard tier with Xbox Insiders today. The new Game Pass Standard subscription includes the usual Game Pass library for Xbox but with online console multiplayer, too. Crucially, it doesn’t include immediate access to day-one game releases, though.

During the test period, Xbox Insiders will be able to access Xbox Game Pass Standard for just $1. “Any renewals during the preview period will also be $1 per month,” says Megan Spurr, senior community lead for Xbox Game Pass. Once this Standard tier launches fully, it will be priced at $14.99 per month.

Picture1_11d4be88f26c67d8b674.png

Microsoft is also providing some clarity on when day-one games and other titles will be available in the Standard tier. “Some games coming to Game Pass Ultimate (day one games or other game entries) will not be immediately available with Game Pass Standard and may be added to the library at a future date (can be up to 12 months or more and will vary by title),” says Spurr.

Microsoft first revealed its new Xbox Game Pass Standard tier in July, alongside price increases for Ultimate and PC Game Pass subscribers. Microsoft has promised to launch Xbox Game Pass Standard in the “coming months.” The existing Xbox Game Pass for Console subscription will continue for current subscribers, but new Game Pass subscribers are no longer able to select the console option until the new Game Pass Standard subscription is available more broadly.

"may be added to the library at a future date (can be up to 12 months or more and will vary by title)"

"clarity"

texas rangers gallo GIF by MLB

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
“Some games coming to Game Pass Ultimate (day one games or other game entries) will not be immediately available with Game Pass Standard

So it's not a universal thing, I imagine third party deals and any that have already been announced will still appear on Standard day 1.

Last edited:

Astray

Looks like a longer winded version of Phil and Matt’s favorite vague phrase:

“case-by-case basis”
Like I told adamsapple adamsapple in the Indiana Jones thread the other day. You have to think like a lawyer to parse what these jokers say.

Every sentence has some sort of exit clause just in case they feel like maybe possibly changing their minds later.

No communication is better than this kind of communication, at least for me.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why is it so hard for some of you to understand the market for this tier? It’s straightforward: it’s for people who want to subscribe to play the games already available on the service. Not everyone is subscribing just to play the latest releases.

Nydius

Why is it so hard for some of you to understand the market for this tier? It’s straightforward: it’s for people who want to subscribe to play the games already available on the service. Not everyone is subscribing just to play the latest releases.

That would be fine…

… if Microsoft hadn’t spent the last 7 years hammering “day one in Game Pass” as a primary selling point for the service. Or if PC Game Pass wasn’t cheaper while still offering day one releases.

You can perform mental gymnastics all you’d like, the only reason for this new tier is to attempt to bump people to Ultimate, where all the marketed Game Pass benefits still exist.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That would be fine…

… if Microsoft hadn’t spent the last 7 years hammering “day one in Game Pass” as a primary selling point for the service. Or if PC Game Pass wasn’t cheaper while still offering day one releases.

You can perform mental gymnastics all you’d like, the only reason for this new tier is to attempt to bump people to Ultimate, where all the marketed Game Pass benefits still exist.
So more options are a bad thing now?

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
That would be fine…

It's pretty clear at this point that gamepass isn't all that MS expected it to be. They sold an idea that will never happen and need different tiers to try and monetize the service to different types of users...ironically what Sony did years ago with PS Plus.

Whatever they said about Gamepass years ago means nothing now

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Could be either, the parenthesis mentions day one or other entries.
Yes they have clarified that day one or also not day one games may or may not come to gamepass standard until at least 12 months or less or more have passed.
People are just looking for fault - they have laid out exactly what you might or might not expect.

Nydius

Whatever they said about Gamepass years ago means nothing now
“Years ago”?

They were banging the “Day one on Game Pass” marketing drum back at their June 2024 showcase, even as they clearly knew internally that they were getting ready to replace their console tier with one that omitted their biggest feature.

Ed:

The options were better before this change

Yup. The only thing they needed to do was add online multiplayer to Game Pass Console so that Game Pass console users didn’t also need to double pay for Game Pass Core. That was it.

Instead they turned it into a complete mess with the end goal clearly being to confuse people enough to get them to subscribe to Ultimate for everything.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
“Years ago”?

They were banging the “Day one on Game Pass” marketing drum back at their June 2024 showcase, even as they clearly knew internally that they were getting ready to replace their console tier with one that omitted their biggest feature.
Replace? As far as i know you can have access to that previous tier right? It's not like Gamepass won't have a tier that guarantees you will always get games day one.

Some posters probably already talked about this, but Gamepass standard tier is close enough to EA play that Microsoft may put it on Playstation one day if Sony allows it? If that happen I hope that we get a 1$ test period.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Replace? As far as i know you can have access to that previous tier right? It's not like Gamepass won't have a tier that guarantees you will always get games day one.

Yes, those who have the original Console tier will retain it as long as they have recurring payments on. The price is the same there and it retains the day 1 features. It's just inaccessible for new buyers.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Yes, those who have the original Console tier will retain it as long as they have recurring payments on. The price is the same there and it retains the day 1 features. It's just inaccessible for new buyers.
Oh wow...i had no idea about that. Things are clearly changing on the backstage regarding Gamepass huh.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My subscription ends in May of 2025.

There is not a prayers chance in hell I will resubscribe. $14.99 is not worth it at all.

On the outside chance MS releases an actual good game I will just buy it at a discount....and probably on Steam anyway

Last edited:

sainraja

How often are day one releases added to the service? I think most people should be fine with standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom