• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

microsoft: next-gen war is between microsoft and sony

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Winning Eleven also. And like I said, Sony hasn't even had their game unveiling, that's not happening till TGS. They're going to keep everything quite till then which is the smartest thing to do.
Winning Eleven was announced for both platforms actually. Konami's lineups currently are...

Nintendo DS
-Boktai
-Castlevania
-DragonBooster
-Frogger 2005
-Gambare Goemon
-Powerful Pro Yakyuu
-Survival Kids
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador
-Vandal Hearts
-WiNX
-World Soccer Winning Eleven

PSP
-Frogger 2005
-Mahjong Kakutou
-Meikyu Tansaku Gata Monster Shooting
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Powerful Pro Yakyuu
-World Soccer Winning Eleven
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam

kaching said:
Nah, you just want to "chuckle a bit" as if to imply I was somehow part of that damage control. If you think that, you weren't listening too well. But I don't want to argue about it :p

Actually no, I wasn't really implying you. You took a chuckle as something being completely directed at you. I was more or less yelling at the people who complained about the people complaining about the low battery life and Sony's evasions of the issue. You were always giving out a logical response without a one sided standpoint. Closest thing to unbiased as I can imagine. Just much more about correcting people for mentioning the wrong things about Sony's products, mainly handhelds. But others *points fingers* like SSX were allowing that. I was a very "hush hush" deal because Sony hadn't given us any just explanation of the battery life of the PSP. Apparantly speculating for the worse is a bad thing.

Do you hold grudges?

But but, if you do want to make this into me lumping you into this. I do remember you mentioning somewhere that I or maybe someone else claimed that bringing up the battery life issue would be good for Sony. Well you said something to likes of, complaining about it on a message board isn't the right way to go about it. I should email Sony and expresses and deepest concerns witht heir product as they can't seem to piece together how to create a system and needed my undying attention and finger pointing. So have you done this for Microsoft? I'm sure they'd like know what's wrong with Xenon so they can change it for you, Practice what you preach.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You quoted me, Darth. My natural first reaction in such a situation is to assume that the response, unless indicated otherwise, was directed at me. Wouldn't you do the same if the roles were reversed?

And, yes, I did make the suggestion that maybe you needed to email Sony your suggestions which, again, was because you and others were essentially asking Sony to somehow overcome engineering obstacles that no one else has been able to. So if you really did have insight into how Sony could do that, you were much better off telling them directly because that's much more important than normal forum feedback and shouldn't be allowed to possibly get lost in the shuffle! :)

kaching said:
And, yes, I did make the suggestion that maybe you needed to email Sony your suggestions which, again, was because you and others were essentially asking Sony to somehow overcome engineering obstacles that no one else has been able to. So if you really did have insight into how Sony could do that, you were much better off telling them directly because that's much more important than normal forum feedback and shouldn't be allowed to possibly get lost in the shuffle! :)

Very well! Then I'm sure anyone here, including yourself is entirely capable ot telling Microsoft how to make a console, so please get those email drafts ready.

You people should really check our facts. GameCube is still number 2 in the world, but 3 in the United States. You people that are saying X-Box is number 2 could you please show any numbers to back this up. Because all of the numbers I have seen still how GameCube in second.

AniHawk

EarthStormFire said:
You people should really check our facts. GameCube is still number 2 in the world, but 3 in the United States. You people that are saying X-Box is number 2 could you please show any numbers to back this up. Because all of the numbers I have seen still how GameCube in second.

The Xbox is ahead by 280k. Get over it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
AniHawk said:
Nintendo is still #2... but as far as the console race goes, the Gamecube is in third.

AniHawk said:
The Xbox is ahead by 280k. Get over it.

This ones for Gahiggidy.

Break%20Glass%201.jpg

pan_gcn_controller_remote_big.jpg

;)

Edit: Damn the Q is such a sexy beast. Nintendo really should have released it here.

America
PS2: 28 million
XBox: 10 million
GC: 9 million

Europe
PS2: 30 million
XBox: 4 million
GC: 3.5 million

Japan
PS2: 16 million
XBox: .5 million

No according to these numbers posted earlier and I assure you the .5 million for xbox is no mistake. The fact that M$ has sold less than 30,000 this year in Japan so far should make it clear that this .5 million is very possible.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
EarthStormFire said:
America
PS2: 28 million
XBox: 10 million
GC: 9 million

Europe

Japan
PS2: 16 million
XBox: .5 million

No according to these numbers posted earlier and I assure you the .5 million for xbox is no mistake. The fact that M$ has sold less than 30,000 this year in Japan so far should make it clear that this .5 million is very possible.

These numbers don't include Australia and China/Korea (Asia)... MS is slightly ahead of Nintendo, overall...

teiresias

It's amazing how much these kinds of people are able to ramble on and on and on, what with their heads stuck so damn far into the sand and all.

jarrod

Banned
djtiesto said:
These numbers don't include Australia and China/Korea (Asia)... MS is slightly ahead of Nintendo, overall...
Well for all of those regions Microsoft's sold under 600k XBoxes... again we can't be entirely sure who has the higher installed base, only that Microsoft has shipped 280k more consoles at this point.

The three official steps to success...

1) Games

2) Killer app games

3) More games

Lets be honest here, it's the games that will decide the competition next-generation. Just like the PlayStation 2 didn't really take off in sales until the release of Grand Theft Auto, and Halo alone managed to sell Xboxs, or Goldeneye 007 brought the Nintendo 64 its success, and Pokemon got a Game Boy in every child's hands...it will be the killer apps - those special, rare titles of which we only see maybe two every generation - that will be the deciding factor of who will be the top competitors.

It's part luck...and part ambition. But my prediction, is that Nintendo consoles - the Revolution and Nintendo DS - have the best chance of receiving the next killer app courtesy of all the new features being integrated into them. Developers will have more options when creating their games.

With the NES, we received 2D games and the killer apps that went along with it. With Genesis and SNES, we nearly perfected 2D and received those games that came along with it. With PlayStation and N64 we were introduced to 3D games. And now with Xbox, PS2, and GCN, we've nearly perfected 3D. Next generation, it's going to take something more than just more expansive worlds and pretty graphics to incite a new gaming phenomenon.

Will it be an online game? Yes, that's possible. But remember, Nintendo will have that and more.

Vieo

Revolution will already hook up to PC monitors. That much we do know.

Ah' ha! So it is true!

If they don't just mean LCD monitors but 15-pin monitors as well, that fact alone will make me get a Revolution. If Revolution is backwards compatible, even better. If you can get higher resolutions, even better too. And if you can go from PC to console at the flip of a switch, great!

pcostabel

Gold Member
ironichaos said:
The three official steps to success...

1) Games

2) Killer app games

3) More games

How do you explain the demise of the DC then? It had arguably the best lineup this gen. No single factor determines the success of a console. You need to have a combination of strengths and some luck to come out on top.

Brofist

pcostabel said:
How do you explain the demise of the DC then? It had arguably the best lineup this gen. No single factor determines the success of a console. You need to have a combination of strengths and some luck to come out on top.

I wouldn't go that far..all 3 systems now have far passed the DC's library. Plus the DC library was filled with a lot of niche titles that didn't sell systems, but were good games...unlike PS2, Xbox and GC which all have a least a few blockbuster titles.

Ranger X

JC10001 said:
This ones for Gahiggidy.

Break%20Glass%201.jpg

pan_gcn_controller_remote_big.jpg

;)

Edit: Damn the Q is such a sexy beast. Nintendo really should have released it here.

You mean Nintendo should have released this one as the first one and only Gamecube. Period.

pcostabel said:

The keywords of what he was saying was "killer apps" the DC had none.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The keywords of what he was saying was "killer apps" the DC had none.
Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and NFL 2K were a great start... Sega just didn't have enough follow through. :/

jarrod said:
Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and NFL 2K were a great start... Sega just didn't have enough follow through. :/

All nice, none were killers apps. Killer apps = GT4, MGS2 and GTA3. MGS2's trailer alone basically sunk the DC like a rock.

All Nintendo has to do with the Revoultion is ressurect "Now you're playing with power!" and rub in the fact that the xbox2 will have the weakest technical stats next gen.

Point - Set - Match.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
All nice, none were killers apps. Killer apps = GT4, MGS2 and GTA3. MGS2's trailer alone basically sunk the DC like a rock.
Eh, Soul Calibur would qualify I'd say... it was getting huge media attention all around. The problem with DC wasn't so much getting that "killer app" but maintaining confidence (both with the industry and with consumers) after Sega's notorious hardware track record. The PS2 hype didn't help but the reality is that Sega had more to do with DC sinking than MGS2 did. ;)

Subitai

EarthStormFire said:
America
Europe
This just amazes me.

Either MS and Nintendo really screwed up or FIFA and DDR are bigger there than Madden is here.

wazoo

Subitai said:
This just amazes me.

Either MS and Nintendo really screwed up or FIFA and DDR are bigger there than Madden is here.

Sony was the first company to take Europe seriously and it paid.

That's really nice Microsoft, you just be sure you have fun, mmkay?

Meanwhile, while you and Sony are declaring WWIII on one another, I'll be at home enjoying my new Nintendo system.

Top Bottom