• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft now the number two game publisher? (Game Developer)

jarrod

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Yeah, one is becoming a monster force and the other is a shadow of its former self.
Handheld game development and the PC gaming market? ;)

Still, I wound't mind seeing a list of the polled devlopers... I'm a little surprised MS would come in 2nd with all the projects they're suddenly dropping or killing (Tork, TFLO, Pyschonauts, XSN Sports line, etc).

Prine

Banned
Yeah, they should provide a list of developers, want to see of Factor 5 and Silicon Knights are amoung the developers that contributed towards Microsofts rise in popularity.

Bodes well for Xbox 2 nonetheless

jarrod

Banned
What would Factor 5 or Silicon Knights have to do with Microsoft? Neither are working on any games for MGS (PC or Xbox) at the moment...

Prine

Banned
jarrod said:
What would Factor 5 or Silicon Knights have to do with Microsoft? Neither are working on any games for MGS (PC or Xbox) at the moment...

I think it was Matt that said that SK and F5 were now working on Xbox projects

Alcibiades

jarrod said:
actually, they are, which kinda sucks but what can you do...

jarrod

Banned
Last I'd heard, F5 was doing a PSP game and focusing on next gen engines... nothing about Xbox whatsoever. I did hear the SK rumor though, it'd be some nice PR for MGS if they picked them up too (Too Human XB would make some GC zealots squirm). :)

Prine

Banned
efralope said:
future looking pretty decent for Acclaim too, finally moving past Sega, Capcom, Namco, Konami, Square-Enix, etc... ;)

If acclaim released a console then yeah. Looks like devs are happy with MS working environment, which obviously means more potential games

Solid

Prine said:
I think it was Matt that said that SK and F5 were now working on Xbox projects
Really!? THAT'S GREAT NEWS! Finally I hear something about SK... I love them. It would be awesome if they joined MS.

Well, I guess the point is that Microsoft has developed a quality publishing business, which I believe is true. However, their ranking criteria (as any rankings) seem a bit off.

This is Microsoft's first system, so of course they're going to have more original IP's as opposed to sequels. They didn't have much in the way of IP's to begin with so they were starting from scratch. Nintendo has franchises back to the 80's and Sony has back to the mid-90's.

I guess Microsoft will drop back down this year as they're sequel happy just like everybody else.

Original
----------------
Fable
Sudeki

Sequel
---------------
Halo 2
MechAssault 2
Rallisport 2
Blinx 2

Cancellations / Drops
--------------------------
True Fantasy Live Online
NBA Drive
NFL Fever
Torq
Psychonauts
Stranger (not sure if they had an option on this or not)
Bought High Heat but no game (is that even a cancellation)

Solid

Prine: Are you sure Matt said SK were on Xbox? All I find is this.

http://cube.ign.com/mail/2004-07-02.html

Sega and Knights
Does Sega or something publish Silicon Knights' next game? That's the latest rumor, anyway.

Matt responds: Nope. Silicon Knights will announce the details of its new third-party strategy in coming months. Stay tuned for more.
And that was 3 months ago :|

Culex

Banned
I think this list is bullshit.

Just use the NPD data every month.

1) EA
2) Nintendo

It's like that every month.

element

Culex said:
I think this list is bullshit.

Just use the NPD data every month.

1) EA
2) Nintendo

It's like that every month.
that is because you are trying use sales to make this.

this is how 3rd party review their publisher. This isn't 'who makes the best games', this is what publisher supports developers.

You guys are listing a bunch of companies that DON'T use 3rd parties. Do you really think Namco or Nintendo are going to score high on a survey developed for 3rd party to score publishers?

The top three on the list are the most wealthy publisher that use outside development very strong.

Top Bottom