• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Xbox Live usage takes off in Asia

Wed Oct 6, 2004 07:19 AM ET
By Doug Young

HONG KONG, Oct 6 (Reuters) - One-in-seven Asian Xbox video gamers plays on the Internet just six months after the regional launch of Microsoft's Xbox Live Internet software, a company executive said on Wednesday.

About 15 percent of Xbox console owners in Asia subscribe to Xbox Live, compared with 12 percent worldwide, said Yolanda Chan, regional sales director for the Asia Pacific region.

"We want to up (the penetration rate) to 22 percent by the end of the fiscal year" on June 30, 2005, she told Reuters in an interview at a Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Xbox Live event in Hong Kong. "That would be a phenomenal result."

Chan said nearly 200,000 of Xbox Live's more than 1 million worldwide users now come from Asia.

The product's fast growth in the region reflects the popularity of video gaming in Asia.

Xbox Live competes with a similar service offered by Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation console and with online games played over broadband-connected PCs.

The rapid growth of online games -- which generated revenue of more than $700 million in Asia last year -- has spawned a generation of homegrown start-ups including China's Shanda Networking Co. Ltd. (SNDA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , South Korea's Actoz Soft (052790.KQ: Quote, Profile, Research) and Taiwan's Chinese Gamer International Corp. (3083.TWO: Quote, Profile, Research) .

The boom has attracted U.S. heavyweight Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , the world's largest video game publisher, which on Wednesday said it would set up its worldwide online game design headquarters in China with a staff of 500.

LOOKING FOR REVENUE

Xbox Live is now available in 24 countries worldwide, including South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

To foster Xbox's growth in Asia-Pacific, Microsoft announced a development initiative on Wednesday, forming a partnership with the Hong Kong government to nurture local game development talent. The company has similar programs in Taiwan and South Korea.

Part of Xbox Live's rapid growth stems from the fact that the Internet capability requires only a console upgrade costing about $50, with no playing fees beyond the $20 or so players pay for each game.

PC-based online game companies make most of their money from fees based on time spent playing.

Chan said Microsoft had yet to formulate a strategy for its next generation of consoles, particularly the issue of whether or not to charge playing fees.

She said the company had also yet to decide on a strategy for China, a market with huge potential but also one that many game publishers have avoided due to rampant piracy.

Electronic Arts and others have been more positive about China's potential for online games, since such games are often complicated and difficult to pirate.

"We are constantly evaluating China and other markets, but have no decision yet," Chan said. "China has huge potential for gaming. They have 1.3 billion people and 200,000 Internet cafes. There's a lot of potential out there."

Tabris

Damn press release for ruining my joke about there only being 14 players by stating actual numbers halfway through the article in which I can't be bothered with reading until after I make my joke! Jerks!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tabris said:
So how many's that? 14?

Naw, you gotta be realistic, maybe 144!

Wait a sec.. 200,000 outta Asia outta the 1 mil they have worldwide, that does not bode well for the rest of the world.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
200000 users is 15% of the asian Xbox ownership? theres 1.3 million Xbox owners in Asia?

Wait...wouldnt that mean theres only...6million other xbox owners worldwide (if 800000 is 12% of them)

SyNapSe

Suikoguy said:
Naw, you gotta be realistic, maybe 144!

Wait a sec.. 200,000 outta Asia outta the 1 mil they have worldwide, that does not bode well for the rest of the world.

Yeah, geez. That's a high amount of people from Asia considering the userbase. I guess the high percentage of broadband penetration must really help?

Top Bottom