• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Arcade Treasures 2 screens!

DMczaf

919930_20040624_screen002.jpg
919930_20040624_screen008.jpg
919930_20040624_screen006.jpg
919930_20040624_screen005.jpg
919930_20040624_screen001.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wow, Primal Rage looks pretty good. Im also looking forward to the MK games, although I wish someone would just release an arcade perfect MK trilogy (I know its not an arcade game, but you know what I mean).

shoplifter

Arcade perfect MK2 would be enough for me to buy this. MK3 would just be icing on the cake, even though it wasn't that great with the dial-a-combos and all.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
MAT2 - All Mortal Kombat Games = Great Package...

I may be the only person on the face of the earth to purchase MAT2 for a reason OTHER than the MK games.

Fifty

This is going to be great. Shame we've got to wait so long. I'm really looking forward to Total Carnage (mainly because I beat the demo at E3 ;) ) and Arch Rivals.

DMczaf

Ninja Scooter said:
when does this come out? MAT2 + Street Fighter Anniversary Collection=90s Fighting Game goodness.

October 11th for $19.99

In an interesting twist, not all of the games in this collection will be emulated; some will be ported to the modern platforms, instead. This will likely be how Midway will be able to bring versions of Hard Drivin' and STUN Runner, which would require a lot of processor power to properly emulate, to modern systems at full speed.

The collection will be rounded out by interviews and other interesting factoids from the era. Midway talked a bit about a "making of Mortal Kombat 3" video, but specifics on the supplemental features are currently being decided. The Xbox version will contain Xbox Live support, but unfortunately that will only be used to keep track of scores, and it won't actually allow players to play against one another. The game is scheduled to hit the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube in October.

NotMSRP

GC version is the best version of MAT1, right?

Any other retro packs to check out? There's the Activision Anthology and Intellivision Lives titles.

DDayton

GC gets the Intellivision collection later this year...

Good retro compilations include:

* Namco Museum (PS2/GC/Xbox version) -- it has the Arrangement games for Pac-Man, Dig Dug, and Galaga. Only 10 games total, but Pac-Man Arrangement and Galaga Arrangement make it worthwhile.

* Activision Anthology (GBA Version) -- more games than the PS2 version. Scary, eh?

* Animal Crossing -- Yeah, this is "cheating", but it has 18 classic NES games inside.

* MAT 1 and 2 (later this year, of course)

* Mega Man Anniversary Collection

DDayton

NotMSRP said:
Why is the Cube getting Intellivision Lives one year later?

I asked the Blue Sky Rangers that at e3... I was told that originally, the publisher didn't see the GC as a viable platform for it... but after the GC sales rush with the price drop, it changed its mind.

Anyanka

I doubt Midway has any ownership of those commercials.

They need to include different revisions of the MK games.

SyNapSe

MAT1 rocked, and now MAT2 will have wholesome MK goodness! lol.. Primal Rage looks soooo old. I can't believe I played it that much.

evil ways

October will cripple my wallet. Mortal Kombat Deception, Midway Arcade Treasures 2(for PS2 and Xbox) and Grand Theft Auto SA, all in the span of 3 weeks, one after the other.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
evil ways said:
October will cripple my wallet. Mortal Kombat Deception, Midway Arcade Treasures 2(for PS2 and Xbox) and Grand Theft Auto SA, all in the span of 3 weeks, one after the other.

Your buying two versions of MAT2? Why not just get the xbox version and be done with it?

olubode said:
Your buying two versions of MAT2? Why not just get the xbox version and be done with it?

Why, because the Xbox will support 480p, 5.1 stereo, etc? For an 80's/90's arcade collection? Riiiiiiight. The Xbox Live part is completely extraneous. Who the F cares about high scores? I agree that the Xbox versions are usually superior to the PS2 version, but please don't feed us that line on this collection. I'll be getting this on the PS2 for superior controls, but people should get whichever version they want.

shoplifter

sonycowboy said:
Why, because the Xbox will support 480p, 5.1 stereo, etc? For an 80's/90's arcade collection? Riiiiiiight. The Xbox Live part is completely extraneous. Who the F cares about high scores? I agree that the Xbox versions are usually superior to the PS2 version, but please don't feed us that line on this collection. I'll be getting this on the PS2 for superior controls, but people should get whichever version they want.

No because evil ways is buy TWO COPIES, one for PS2 one for Xbox. I'm unaware of any real reason to buy more than one. Is there exclusive content?

shoplifter said:
No because evil ways is buy TWO COPIES, one for PS2 one for Xbox. I'm unaware of any real reason to buy more than one. Is there exclusive content?

I was referring to his comment "why not buy the Xbox version and get it over with" as if the Xbox version was clearly superior when it is not.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
I was referring to his comment "why not buy the Xbox version and get it over with" as if the Xbox version was clearly superior when it is not.
Your kidding about the superior controls for the PS2 version right? And just like you clearly pine for all things PS2, you should know that I will be getting the superior GC version.

:rolleyes

olubode said:
Your kidding about the superior controls for the PS2 version right? And just like you clearly pine for all things PS2, you should know that I will be getting the superior GC version.

:rolleyes

Whatever floats your boat. And I'm not kidding about the PS2 controls being superior.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
Whatever floats your boat. And I'm not kidding about the PS2 controls being superior.
For a collection like this, the so called superior control is not a console breaker. And didn't the PS2 version of MAT have some kind of problem with Smash TV? Or was it the Xbox version?

Edit: Another thing. Please show me ow the controls on the PS2 are "superior" to the Xbox version from a functional pov. One example would be to compare SSX on PS2 to GCN (ie, less buttons, weird control scheme.) Because I think the only example you can come up with the "superior" control on the PS2 will be one of preference/bias and not actual function.

MoxManiac

Didn't PS2 Arcade Treasure have some problems? Like, some of the games were running at 30fps instead of 60. Xbox version didn't have that problem.

MoxManiac said:
Didn't PS2 Arcade Treasure have some problems? Like, some of the games were running at 30fps instead of 60. Xbox version didn't have that problem.
i believe the ps2 version of smash tv ran at a less-than-arcade-perfect framerate, whereas the xbox recreated it perfectly

bjork

The first thing I do will be the acid pit fatality in MKII. Never got to do it on the old ones and always wanted to.

shoplifter said:
I'm sure they do, they were more than likely 'works for commission' by the ad agencies.

yes, but they were 'works for commision' for Acclaim, who published MK 1-3 back then because Midway wasn't in the console business at that time.

shoplifter

Ninja Scooter said:
yes, but they were 'works for commision' for Acclaim, who published MK 1-3 back then because Midway wasn't in the console business at that time.

True, it's hard to say then since I don't know the terms of the contracts.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DMczaf said:
Best part is that Midway is adding lots of behind the scenes stuff from MK1-3. :D :D :D

Live?

evil ways

shoplifter said:

Well, I recently arranged 2 separate console set ups, one with a 27 inch TV, component, and DVD player for the Xbox, which is on the family room, and another with a 24 inch TV, VCR and component for the PS2, and Gamecube on the PC/entertainment room. I want a MAT2 on both of those setups, so you could say my reason for getting both versions are, laziness, the $20 price tag, the much better PS2 controller, and the fact that I'm a Mortal Kombat whore.

I'll probably just get the PS2 version first and then a month later I'll pick up the Xbox one.

All 3 versions had their own specific issues.

So is this one still coming out for GC or is it PS2/Xbox only?

Top Bottom