• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway to open Texas studio

thorns

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6106528.html

Publisher to add fourth internal development studio in Austin, a city known for its concentration of game talent.

In a brief statement today, Midway Games alerted the industry to the fact that it would soon open an internal development studio in Austin, Texas. As for timing, all Midway would commit to was that the new studio would open "in the near future," which may not be soon enough for the denizens of Austin--the city lost the presence of Acclaim as an employer when it shut down operations worldwide, including Austin, last week. Midway said it will have a presence at next week's Austin Game Conference, presumably making its hiring staff available to chat with individuals interested in signing on with the publisher.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yay, more game developers in Austin for me to stalk. Acclaim leaves and then Midway moves in. It all balances out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
truesayian said:
i just turned in my application to get hired on out there actually..

Awesome, so you would be moving for the job? Its a great place, very unique town.

It would only be an hour move for me.. I live in waco right now.. not that big of a deal.. but yea austin is a great town. It's all about 6th..

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with Austin anyway? Seems like a kind of random place to be a game industry hotspot, and yet it is one. There must be some reason.

why not?.. it's a great city.. Lots of live music, it's an open city... Heck, the offical city saying quite or whatever, was "Austin- keeping it wierd" ... It's just a great place.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
The city was about to fall apart in the 80s due to rampant real-estate speculation, so they decided to make it into a tech hub... and unlike most efforts like that, they succeeded. It's right next to the hub of the state university system, and it's very cheap.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Mr_Furious said:
Hey Midway, while your at it, pick up The Red Star while you're there ;)

I'd hope that's who they're going for - the Red Star devs were an amazingly talented arcade game team, and they could work some kind of crazy magic with Midway's back catalogue.

The bonus arenas in Red Star are Smash TV, for starters.

Sho Nuff

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
midway's going to hire all those unemployed Acclaim staffers and make more shit. Wow. Impressed.

SCREW YOUUUUU, RED STAR ROX.

Hire the good teams and leave the management!

Top Bottom