• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway updates Arcade Treasures 2 games list, boxart

Santo

http://www.bonusstage.com/art1643.html

# A.P.B.
# Arch Rivals
# Championship Sprint
# Cyberball 2072
# Gauntlet 2
# Hard Drivin’
# Kozmik Kroozr’
# Mortal Kombat 3
# Mortal Kombat II
# NARC
# Pit Fighter
# Primal Rage
# Rampage World Tour
# Spy Hunter 2
# Timber
# Total Carnage
# Wacko
# Wizard of Wor
# Xenophobe
# Xybots

midwayarcade2_gcn_box.jpg

No MK? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So GC owners get screwed out of the original, because there is ZERO chance of me forking over $60 for the special MK disc coming out.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
did they cut games out, I thought Stun Runner was supposed to be on this?

Primal Rage, ahahaha. What a pile. Interesting compilation though. You don't usually see games from this era in console compilation discs.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That's a good question. Probably saving it for the 2nd compilation. And wasn't I playing Wizard of Wor on my Commmodore 64 back in the Eighties??!

levious

bishoptl said:
That's a good question. Probably saving it for the 2nd compilation. And wasn't I playing Wizard of Wor on my Commmodore 64 back in the Eighties??!

there's gonna be a Midway Arcade Treasures 2 vol. 2?

Link316

Banned
Gauntlet 2 and Xenophobe are good enough fo me, wished it had Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters though

Nikashi

Banned
Just got off the phone with guy at Midway, but he didn't exactly know what I was talking about, but told me this.

All THREE MK games may be removed from MAT because of an upcoming Mortal Kombat arcade anthology dealie.

:(

levious

no doubt to too much positive forum response to this release... if you all had just been "meh" about it they'd have added more games instead of spreading them out.

LakeEarth

Nikashi said:
Just got off the phone with guy at Midway, but he didn't exactly know what I was talking about, but told me this.

All THREE MK games may be removed from MAT because of an upcoming Mortal Kombat arcade anthology dealie.

Thus making the damn thing useless.

I cannot believe they got rid of Steel Talons and STUN Runner in favor of Wacko and Kosmic Kroozr', great and weird as those games are. This is the second time STUN has been chopped from a Midway pack. It was originally supposed to be on one of the psx ones, as were half the games listed here, years ago.

Narc was looking awfully horrible at E3 - I'm guessing they just couldn't pull off STUN Runner and Steel Talons. Those stupid fucks. :(

evil ways

Nikashi said:

Bull fucking shit.

LakeEarth

evil ways said:
Bull fucking shit.

"Don't worry, PitFighter is just as good!" - Midway PR

If this becomes true, Midway wouldn't have lost 1, but 2 sales from me in the past two days (when I found out Deception wasn't coming out for the Cube, since that's all I own).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They better not remove any more MK games. I just (as in no more than 1 hour ago) bought MAT1 because I'm am completionist and I was planning on purchasing MAT2. Oh well, guess I'll take it back and wait and see what happens. I would have thought that UMK3 and MK4 would be on MAT3.

evil ways

It's bs, they revealed the box art and the lineup yesterday, why would they take out MK II & 3? Look at the boxart itself, it's basically selling the compilation on MK II & 3.

midwayarcade2_gcn_box.jpg

So, come on, don't bullshit me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
no stun runner = no go. the only game on that comp i really want now is total carnage.

A.P.B.
Arch Rivals
Championship Sprint
Cyberball 2072
Gauntlet 2
Hard Drivin’
Kozmik Kroozr’
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat II
NARC
Pit Fighter
Primal Rage
Rampage World Tour
Spy Hunter 2
Steel Talons
STUN Runner
Timber
Total Carnage
Wacko
Wizard of Wor
Xenophobe
Xybots

They give with one hand and take with the other. The new titles are not worth the sacrifice. :( Something tells me they need to hire better teams to handle their compilations.

WarPig

What I wanna know is, why do we still get Hard Drivin', but no STUN Runner? Weren't those the same hardware? Or is STUN a later variation on the same board?

DFS.

Ill get this as for $19.99; thats alot of loving regardless... I had a PIt Fighter arcade machine, so that will be kinda fun to try out on the disc, and I loved Primal Rage back in the day..

Rampage World Tour will be worth the $20 alone, playing through the entire game with a buddy, never played this one... loved all the previous rampage stuff though..

Ristamar

LuckyBrand said:
Ill get this as for $19.99; thats alot of loving regardless... I had a PIt Fighter arcade machine, so that will be kinda fun to try out on the disc, and I loved Primal Rage back in the day..

I rarely comment on others' tastes in gaming but... can't... resist.... BARF. Ugh. Pit Fighter and Primal Rage have to be two of the worst fighters of the 90's.

WarPig said:
What I wanna know is, why do we still get Hard Drivin', but no STUN Runner? Weren't those the same hardware? Or is STUN a later variation on the same board?
They all share the same main board, but STUN and Talons use a different set of sound hardware. The Hard Drivin' sound board uses a 68000 and a Texas Instruments chip, while the other two use boards that have a 6502, YM-2151 (for FM) and an OKI6295. The OKI6295 and the Texas Instruments chip are unique to their hardware among Midway games, but the other chips were used much more often and should already be emulated. Maybe one of the rarer chips was giving them problems, so they left it out? Or maybe they decided to save those two for a later compilation?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The games that made me interested in this were:

Gauntlet 2
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat II
NARC
Primal Rage
Rampage World Tour
STUN Runner

Primal Rage, I found for more amusing, than actually good. I was never a big MK and wouldn't buy a MK Anthologies on it own, but the 1st games absence really hurts this collection. I'm not sure the new list of games is worth $20 to me.

WarPig said:

And if they did manage to get Hard Drivin' running well, why aren't we getting Race Drivin', which was nearly identical but better? Or how about the never released sequel Hard Drivin Airborne, also on the same hardware, where you could pop out a pair of glider-wings, Rush 2049-style? I'd love to finally get to try that out.

A friend of mine owns one and runs a touring arcade game museum that sometimes features Hard Drivin' Airborne, and I was scheduled to fly out and see him (and the game, among many other rare and awesome pieces) a few years ago. Turns out I was supposed to leave at about 9 AM PST on 09/11/2001. I never made it out, obviously, and have since kinda lost touch with the guy. At this point Midway is my only hope! :(

Agent X

I've never even heard of Kozmik Krooz'r or Wacko until now, and I tend to follow classic video games pretty closely. I'm glad they decided to put these obscure games on here, so a large number of people (myself included) will finally be able to experience them.

On the other hand, I'm really bummed that they cut Mortal Kombat, Steel Talons, and S.T.U.N. Runner from the lineup.

Ristamar said:
I rarely comment on others' tastes in gaming but... can't... resist.... BARF. Ugh. Pit Fighter and Primal Rage have to be two of the worst fighters of the 90's.

yah pit fighter is pretty bad, and primal rage is amazing comparatively.. but maybe you missed the thing about how i had a pit fighter arcade system for a while; its more of a nostalgic thing wanting to replay it..

i actually do enjoy primal rage though...

Agent X said:
I've never even heard of Kozmik Krooz'r or Wacko until now, and I tend to follow classic video games pretty closely. I'm glad they decided to put these obscure games on here, so a large number of people (myself included) will finally be able to experience them.

Both are very strange and not-that-fun, though I'm also glad both are making it to the compilation. They're definitely fun little trivia games to play for a bit - I actually almost bought a Wacko arcade game once, based on the zany cabinet alone. It should be really interesting to see how the controls are translated over, as both have unique dedicated setups in the arcade.

belgurdo

Banned
*Is saddened that people won't buy MAT2 for Mortal Kombat's exclusion but instead aren't buying it because of Gauntlet 2's inclusion*

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
It would be really funny if Midway included MK1 on the GCN version. Not gonna happen, but still

I knew they wouldnt include MK1 after I saw it was a big deal in buying the collector's edition of MK 6..

MK1 will wet peoples appetites for the classic MK's with MK6, and then they'll release the MK Anthology with MK1, MK2, Mk3, UMK3, MK4, and those weird side story games that were out on PS1.. I never got to play those, nor did I get into MK4 much.. so i'd love an mk anthology.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, what games were cut again? I never cared for the MK series, so I don't mind if they are struck... but it does seem odd.

Perhaps Midway thought this pack had TOO much 90's gaming, and wanted to save some of the bigger names for MAT3?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
jiji said:
See my post above. Red = cut, black = new.

Sorry. Long day...

I wish Midway included hidden games, like Namco did with the PS2/Xbox/GC Namco Museum. It would be nice to find a few extra games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
bring on MK Anthologies then. phuggit.

Ristamar

LuckyBrand said:
yah pit fighter is pretty bad, and primal rage is amazing comparatively.. but maybe you missed the thing about how i had a pit fighter arcade system for a while; its more of a nostalgic thing wanting to replay it..

Understandable. Frightening, but understandable.

Ristamar said:
Understandable. Frightening, but understandable.

hey, frightening is saving up $250 so you can go buy an arcade machine, and end up with pit fighter....

i ended up enjoying it however... it was a 3 player game, so me and my brother would play the game all the way through sometimes out in the garage... every third match was like a "grudge match" against the other human opponents. that was the highlight...

raYne

I've been meaning to pick up the first one but it always slips my mind.

Since I know nothing about it, are the games supposed to be arcade or console ports? Refering to the MK's of course. Either way, NARC here I come!

Top Bottom