• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might Join the Party: WonderSwan

jeremy1456

I remember this handheld from the early days when it had a tiny bit of momentum because Squaresoft released a few RPGs on it. I was always disappointed it wasn't released here simply because I wanted portable Final Fantasy. Obviously that need has been met by the GBA, but I always wondered about the rest of the library.

The dual orientation design of the system looks really interesting. The huge battery life on a single AA battery sounds incredible. What's more is that for an import only system it's not going for a lot on Ebay. Looks like you can easily get a Wonderswan Color for around $50.

Then I started researching the library. Because I don't have any kind of understanding of the Japanese language I wouldn't be able to play any of the RPGs on it (except maybe FFIV. I know that game so well it would be an interesting challenge. I bet I could beat it if I kept notes on which spell is which). I was surprised to see that there's a Klonoa game on the platform and I'm a huge fan of the series. In addition Clock Tower could be cool, but I would have to follow a guide. Then there's the puzzle game Gunpey which is supposedly mostly in English, and a few other games in genres where you don't need to read.

What is GAF's thoughts on the system? I'm really, really close to buying one and was simply wondering if it's worthwhile.

I think it's more of a wake than a party. I would love to try one though, it has always seemed like an interesting, obscure platform.

Artorias

Banned
I really love the thing. I have two SwanCrystals and a WSC I've only opened to check once.

If you can find this bundle cheaper, its great. A Digimon RPG completely in English! This one is way overpriced though, I paid $70 for mine 2 years ago. I also bought a Gunpey bundle back then, the bundles are great for guaranteeing a brand new system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Color-WonderSwan-Game-Console-Crystal-Black-with-Digimon-RPG-New-/121499485842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c49ef0692

Here is the Gunpey one, brand new!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Color-Limited-Wonder-Swan-console-WonderSwan-Pearl-Blue-Gunpey-EX-NEW/291193526632?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27710%26meid%3Db1209fa382f8471b9544b9f590e55b7b%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11385%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D350823310674&rt=nc

jeremy1456

I really love the thing. I have two SwanCrystals and a WSC I've only opened to check once.

If you can find this bundle cheaper, its great. A Digimon RPG completely in English! This one is way overpriced though, I paid $70 for mine 2 years ago. I also bought a Gunpey bundle back then, the bundles are great for guaranteeing a brand new system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Color-WonderSwan-Game-Console-Crystal-Black-with-Digimon-RPG-New-/121499485842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c49ef0692

Here is the Gunpey one, brand new!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Color-Limited-Wonder-Swan-console-WonderSwan-Pearl-Blue-Gunpey-EX-NEW/291193526632?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27710%26meid%3Db1209fa382f8471b9544b9f590e55b7b%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11385%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D350823310674&rt=nc

I dunno if I would spend that much on a Digimon game. It's nothing against Digimon, rather, I just don't know the series.

That's a good find on the Gunpey one. Holy... I might buy that if enough people here say the system is worthwhile.

Artorias

Banned
Yea, I'm surprised the Digimon bundle climbed so high, one seller used to have crystal orange, blue, and black for $60+$10 shipping. I've never been into Digimon either, I just couldn't believe there was a full english language RPG on the system. It's also the only system I found thats sealed with cellophane. The rest of the bundles don't have seals.

I do think its worth it just for some of the games that don't have a language barrier. SD Gundam Operation UC is really fun, Rhyme Rider Kerorican is amazing, and that Rockman game seems decent though I've barely touched it. Also, the Wizardry 1 port can be changed to english in the menu though I have to admit I haven't even turned it on yet.

Like you I also felt I could probably beat FF4 pretty easily and it has been pretty easy going so far, though I only got to where you pick up Edward before getting distracted with other games.

Also, don't worry too much about Crystal vs WSC, the Crystal barely lights up. You will need an outside light either way.

jeremy1456

Yea, I'm surprised the Digimon bundle climbed so high, one seller used to have crystal orange, blue, and black for $60+$10 shipping. I've never been into Digimon either, I just couldn't believe there was a full english language RPG on the system. It's also the only system I found thats sealed with cellophane. The rest of the bundles don't have seals.

I do think its worth it just for some of the games that don't have a language barrier. SD Gundam Operation UC is really fun, Rhyme Rider Kerorican is amazing, and that Rockman game seems decent though I've barely touched it. Also, the Wizardry 1 port can be changed to english in the menu though I have to admit I haven't even turned it on yet.

Like you I also felt I could probably beat FF4 pretty easily and it has been pretty easy going so far, though I only got to where you pick up Edward before getting distracted with other games.

Also, don't worry too much about Crystal vs WSC, the Crystal barely lights up. You will need an outside light either way.

Okay I'm buying it tomorrow.

Would you recommend the Clock Tower port?

Aeana

There's some good stuff on it. I'm glad to own one even if just for this guy:

KqcEC3d.jpg

polg

I've been flirting with the idea for a while. I was in Japan in September, hoping to find it and it was impossible ;-;

It's crazy to see my post from 2012 and realize that the yen has gone from 80 to the dollar to 120 to the dollar. Y'all can get much cheaper Wonderswans now.

That particular Digimon game is actually a fairly big deal because it and the games that came after it (I'm assuming it's Anode/Cathode Tamer, as it's the only one that got a translation due to a Hong Kong release) fills in a big chunk of canon for the Digimon Adventure/02 and Digimon Tamers anime series (basically, the first three 'seasons') - particularly, the star of those games, Ryo Akiyama, who originated in the Digimon Adventure canon and got a couple of cameos in Our War Game (otherwise known as the second part of that Frankenstein abomination dub known as "Digimon the Movie") and a flashback in 02, but then suddenly showed up in Tamers with no real explanation. For those who watched Tamers but don't know what Ryo's deal is, the 'Brave Tamer' quadrilogy pretty much explains everything. However, be warned, it's also a mess of time travel thanks to the fourth game.

There were quite a few other Digimon games that were released on the Wonderswan, but the only ones that got localized were the Battle Spirit games, which got GBA ports except for 1.5.

I'd mostly get it for Super Robot Wars Compact series and Judgement Silversword. Most of the other stuff seemed kind of eh to me due to the language barrier.

Top Bottom