• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic - Duel of Champions |OT| PC/iPad cross platform Collectable Card Game

Card Boy

Banned
HBObc.jpg

Developer: Ubisoft
Platform: PC and iPad
Price: Free!
Genre: Online Collectiable Card Game
Where: PC Link, iPad App Store link, and Steam.

SEuc6.png

• Assessable and deep gameplay
  • 770 cards
  • Practice Mode
  • Campaign mode
  • Ranked Multiplayer
  • Tournaments
  • Practice mode (A.I, against a friend, or a random online opponent)
  • Achievements (which reward you with cards, booster packs, currency and profile stuff)
  • Leaderboards
  • Customizable decks (can have up 209 cards in a deck)
  • 7 Factions (Haven, Inferno, Necropolis, Stronghold, Sanctuary, Academy, Neutral)
  • 7 Schools of magic (Light, Air, Earth, Water, Fire, Dark, Primal)
  • Foil cards
  • Ethical business model
  • Cross-platform multiplayer (PC and iPad)
  • Updated regularly

tgLS2.png

Enter the legendary universe of Might & Magic with this fantastic strategic online card game. With more than 770 cards, choose your hero, build an army with creatures, spells, buildings and fortunes and defeat cunning opponents in battles of epic proportions.

1eFmd.png

Building your Deck

Every deck consists of:

1 Hero card
8 Events cards
Between 50 and 200 cards, a mix of Creatures, Fortunes and Spells in any proportion.

The first step is to choose your hero.

• Your hero will determine the Spells you can use. Each Hero has access to a number of schools of magic. All Spells from any of those Schools can be used in your deck.
  • You Hero will also determine which Faction your army belongs to. The rest of the cards (Creatures and Fortunes) used in your deck must be either from your Faction or Neutral.
  • Your Hero will also determine your starting level of might
    18px-Might.png
    , magic
    19px-Magic.png
    and destiny
    19px-Destiny.png
    as well as your initial life.
  • You can have up to 4 copies of most of your cards in your deck. Your deck can only contain a single copy of each Unique card however.

The Battlefield

The objective of the game is to bring your opponent's hero’s life to zero before your hero is defeated. To achieve this goal, you will be deploying Creatures, casting Spells and taking advantage of Fortunes and Events.
When the match begins, each player draws 6 cards. Each of those cards has a cost in resources
19px-Ressource_icn.png
in the upper left corner. Each card also has a requirement Level in Might
18px-Might.png
, Magic
19px-Magic.png
and/or Destiny
19px-Destiny.png
before being usable.
Creatures normally have a requirement in
18px-Might.png
, Spells in
New_User_Guide
and Fortunes in
19px-Destiny.png

Each turn consists of an Supply Phase and an Action Phase.

Hero

Your hero can perform one action each of your turns. Generally, the list of possible actions for a hero is:

• Increase the level of
    18px-Might.png
    19px-Magic.png
    or
    19px-Destiny.png
    by one.
  • Draw a card.
  • Use his/her special ability.

Creature Types and Deployment Rules

The Battleground contains 16 positions where creatures can be deployed. Each player has two vertical lines called the back line and the front line, made up of four horizontal rows, making for a total of 8 battleground positions for each player to place their creatures.
Melee creatures can only be deployed on the Front Line. Shooter creatures can only be deployed on the Back Line. Flyers can be deployed on either Line.
When a Creature attacks, it deals damage equal to its attack Attack
19px-Attack_icn.png
value to the defending Creature or Hero. If the defending Creature survives the attack, it deals damage equal to its retaliate Retaliate
19px-Retaliate_icn.png
value to the attacking Creature. When a Creature’s remaining life is zero or less, this Creature is destroyed, removed from the battleground and put in the graveyard.
Creatures can only attack enemy Creatures in their row. If there are two enemy Creatures in that row, Flyer and Melee Creatures can only attack the Creature in the enemy’s Front Line, while Shooter Creatures can attack either one, as you choose.
A Creature can only attack the enemy’s Hero directly when there are no enemy Creatures in front of it.

Spells and Fortunes

Spells can be played during your action phase to help your army and hinder your enemies. They have a resource cost, and your Hero must meet the required magic level to play them.
Fortunes are similar to Spells, but generally have effects that twist the rules of the game to your advantage. To play a Fortune card, your Hero must have a high enough destiny level.
Each Spell and Fortune has a sub-type of 'instant' or 'ongoing'. An 'instant' Spell/Fortune means its effect will trigger instantly and one time only. The duration of an 'ongoing' Spell/Fortune can vary from one turn to permanent.

Events

Each player brings eight Event cards to the match. Those sixteen Events are shuffled together and the first two are placed on the battleground. At the end of each turn, the leftmost event is removed from the battleground, the rightmost is moved in its place and a new one is drawn to replace it. When the Events deck is empty and a new one needs to be drawn, they are re-shuffled. A player may use each of the two currently available Events each turn, no matter who brought them, even if the opponent has already used the Event during their turn. Choose your Events wisely though - they can help your opponent too.

Buildings

Building can be placed on any battleground position you control. You cannot have more than one building at any location, but you can have a creature and building at the same location.

NUmC9.png

Each turn consists of an Supply Phase and an Action Phase.

Supply Phase

In this phase, before anything else occurs, those four steps are done automatically:
  • Empty resources: Your current resources are set to 0.
  • Increase production: Your resources production is increased by one.
  • Produce resources: Your resources production total is added to your current resources.
  • Draw: Draw a new card from your library.

Anytime that you have to draw a card and your library is out of cards, you lose one life for each card missing.

Action Phase

You can do any number of the following actions, in the order you want:

• Every Creature that was already there at the start of your turn can either attack or move, once.
  • You can cast Spell cards from your hand, depending on your
    19px-Magic.png
    level, by paying their cost in Ressource
    19px-Ressource_icn.png
  • You can play Fortune cards from your hand, depending on your
    19px-Destiny.png
    19px-Ressource_icn.png
  • You can deploy Creature cards from your hand, depending on your
    18px-Might.png
    19px-Ressource_icn.png
    . These Creatures cannot attack or move this turn.
  • You can use each Event card once, paying its activation cost if any.
  • You can use your Hero once.

When the current player finishes their Action phase, their turn is over. The other player becomes the current player and follows the same phases.

mHeSZ.png

Which faction should I choose?

Go with the one that best suits your gaming style.

So what packs/boxes/starter factions should I get?

In the beginning only reinforcement packs and the box make sense. Avoid all else until you get more cards and feel more confident in your deck. DO NOT EVER BUY A STARTER FACTION!

Where do I get free gold or seals?

Either using free codes the devs give out, daily rewards, leveling up, doing the campaign or through achievements.

GKYP.png

lcMew.png

The following codes provide free cards or currency. Some of these might be invalid, let me know if they don't work for you.

1x Gold Boost - TH4NK5FBF4N5
1x Reinforcement Pack - WE-ARE-NO-TROLLS
1x Premium Herald of The Void Pack - MMDOC-H4S-THE-B3ST-FANS

On PC here, all codes but

DUEL-AVEC-O-GAMING

worked for me.

Thanks OP. Had fun with the tutorial, looking forward to building the deck out a bit more.

Card Boy

Banned
Don't tell me Ubisoft pulled the codes soon as I made the OT....

They all worked for me I got like 7 booster packs out of it.

So how F2P is it?

You get lots of gold for matches, single player and from free cards from codes. They even give free cards during holidays, i've got a Christmas one. I've got 179 cards just for doing the tutorials and redeeming codes. With the free money i got from the tutorials i can get another 2 booster packs giving me another 24 cards. Its as F2P as the Pokemon TCG.

Ubisoft are one of the few companies that do free to play right i reckon. Assassins Creed: Recollection was awesome, you can pick up all the cards for nothing from the user controlled marketplace.

You have to remember that a paying user won't get a much of a advantage if at all since booster packs are completly random.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can someone please post it with a description, this thread link and a screenshot in the current Indie Games thread? We should collect all decent releases in there.

Raytow

In the end got 5 booster packs, no idea what codes worked because I will receive an error message and the next thing you know I had items in the inventory.

Can someone please post it with a description, this thread link and a screenshot in the current Indie Games thread? We should collect all decent releases in there.

Does this one count as Indie? It seems like Ubisoft is doing the funding/publishing here.

Game seems fun. I wish this was a real card game though. Building decks on a computer is so unintuitive. I really feel like I need the cards in front of me to see what I have and determine what's the best deck. Brings me back to the old Magic days but that game is such a money sink. At least this is free.

Edit: What does it mean when the cards are shiny? (Is that called a "foil" card or something?) I got a bunch of booster decks and have 2 types of "shiny" cards. One has kind of a golden border that goes around in a circle and the other one has the card rotate up and down and the card reflects light. I'm calling them the "golden border" cards and the "foil" cards. What do those mean? I tried filtering my cards by rarity and they didn't show up as rare or anything like that.

Edit 2: I'm with the "evil" faction (forget what they're calling) and now that I'm getting booster packs I'm getting all kinds of new cards that aren't in my faction. Can I play them normally? I know with MTG different factions are separated by the types of mana that is required to use the cards but in this game all the factions use the same resource types (might, magic, that purple banner and the main kind that regenerates each turn).

Edit 3: Can you have more than 1 hero in your deck? How does that work? What if they're different factions? And what's the different between the factions and schools of magic? Can only certain factions/heroes play certain schools of magic? The whole thing is kind of overwhelming.

Noaloha

I think each Hero has a faction and certain magic schools associated with them. The faction limits what type of creatures you can have in your deck (creatures will have a faction icon in the top right), plus there are neutral creatures which can go in any deck. The magic schools limit the spells in the same manner. The evil guy is limited to death magic and water magic. If you only have that one Hero available to you then a bunch of the cards you receive in booster packs will be useless initially.

The '?' icon on the game screen takes you to a surprisingly well-written manual.

Card Boy

Banned
The Penny Arcade code gives you seals but besides that some of the achievements give you seals. I think levelling up might give seals as well, I could be wrong.

Game is fun but I feel like in the long run you need to grind for money to buy cards and then min-max your deck as much as possible. In the short run there's a lot of luck.

Online card games also lack the social aspect of real cards and just become exercises in winning. Which again entails grinding and min-maxing.

And of course there are shit talking idiots. I was owning some guy and he starts calling me a fag, a noob, "go back to World of Warcraft" etc. Not even sure what he meant by that last one. Is there a way to ignore someone in chat? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who the fuck designed this Necropolis deck? Why would you create a slow control deck, and then include a card that only works when you have less cards than your opponent?

I can't even finish the tutorial because this deck is so awful and I get the same hand each game and there are no mulligans.

Meteorain

Who the fuck designed this Necropolis deck? Why would you create a slow control deck, and then include a card that only works when you have less cards than your opponent?

I can't even finish the tutorial because this deck is so awful and I get the same hand each game and there are no mulligans.

Get good Haly. Karma for playing a bullshit OP deck.

That being said, I really like the idea of how the Stronghold deck plays, but unfortunately do not have enough cards to play it properly.

Guess I have to grind some coins with my Inferno deck to get some reinforcement packs.

Haly

Get good Haly. Karma for playing a bullshit OP deck.

That being said, I really like the idea of how the Stronghold deck plays, but unfortunately do not have enough cards to play it properly.

Guess I have to grind some coins with my Inferno deck to get some reinforcement packs.
What is OP about this deck?

It kind of dies to aggro.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

The tutorial is straight up retarded, it's not teaching me anything, and I know exactly what the CPU is going to do each time and it doesn't matter. Wonder what idiot thought it was a good idea to make the tutorial so difficult.

Meteorain

The tutorial is straight up retarded, it's not teaching me anything, and I know exactly what the CPU is going to do each time and it doesn't matter. Wonder what idiot thought it was a good idea to make the tutorial so difficult.

It forces you to think about what you're doing. Everyone had to contend with a shitty deck. I managed to do it without my code cards :(

I do admit that it is a bit too hard.

Haly

I uninstalled. Got bored of playing "GoodStuff.dec", which is the only deck there is.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They need to ditch the garbage iPad client, and make a proper PC one.

So tournaments are fun in this when you're playing against people you know. Played in three tournies and have 2 more tickets than I started with thanks to the cheevos.

I really think Ravager's need to be nerfed just a tiny bit. Maybe make them a 5-4-4 instead of a 6-4-4. 80% of my losses is to ravager spam (especially if they go second...). 5-4-4 would still be extremely strong but at least it wouldn't 1 shot any creature in lane. Inferno would still be fine because the whole point is to be aggro (with fire spells) - It would just force the inferno player to maybe save his fire blasts for turn 5 as opposed to just nuking everything I throw out and then dropping a 6-4-4.

Haly

What is that?

It's when you throw a bunch of good cards in a deck and call it a day. Due to the nature of DoC, pretty much every deck is "goodstuff" because you have very little control over the kind of cards you get and some of the actual strategies require very specific cards.

For the majority of players, the best deck they can make is determined by the best cards they crack open.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So tournaments are fun in this when you're playing against people you know. Played in three tournies and have 2 more tickets than I started with thanks to the cheevos.

I really think Ravager's need to be nerfed just a tiny bit. Maybe make them a 5-4-4 instead of a 6-4-4. 80% of my losses is to ravager spam (especially if they go second...). 5-4-4 would still be extremely strong but at least it wouldn't 1 shot any creature in lane. Inferno would still be fine because the whole point is to be aggro (with fire spells) - It would just force the inferno player to maybe save his fire blasts for turn 5 as opposed to just nuking everything I throw out and then dropping a 6-4-4.

cry more noob

It's when you throw a bunch of good cards in a deck and call it a day. Due to the nature of DoC, pretty much every deck is "goodstuff" because you have very little control over the kind of cards you get and some of the actual strategies require very specific cards.

For the majority of players, the best deck they can make is determined by the best cards they crack open.

Isn't that true of most card games?

Haly

Isn't that true of most card games?

Not for any game with a singles market or trading.

Singles market means you can make whatever deck you want from day one in any format in games like Magic or YGO, except for certain formats like Legacy because of supply issues.

More importantly, if you almost have the baseline for a given deck, you can fill in the holes by buying singles, greatly augmenting your best cards in a cost effective and reliable manner. The same is true of trading. Such a thing is not possible in DoC because there's no trading or buying singles whatsoever. You are forever at the mercy of how much you're willing to gamble on packs and, if you're grinding for them, how fast you can acquire them.

And the card game was heavily creature based to start, this just exacerbates the deck stagnation.

There are positives to this system, namely that you can't just find a good deck and buy it and autopilot it to victory. On the other hand, I really dislike not being able to try out different decks and strategies, and there's a big reason I never opened packs on MTGO except to draft. It's just not cost efficient.

Gvaz

Banned
So I just started this game.

Also I need friends who play.

I will trade ONE DoC code (3 reinforcement packs plus 275 seals) for one friend request but only if you actually play this game and would want to play with me.

I have FOUR codes to give out.

So I just started this game.

Also I need friends who play.

I will trade ONE DoC code (3 reinforcement packs plus 275 seals) for one friend request but only if you actually play this game and would want to play with me.

I have FOUR codes to give out.

Shit, I'll do it.

Card Boy

Banned
Game is now up on STEAM.

Has 120 Steam achievements, Steam cards and you can buy DLC directly with your Steam wallet.

Card Boy

Banned
Make sure you new guys try some of the codes in the OP, let me know if any work and what doesn't so i can remove them if need be.

New accounts that are less than 6 hrs old can get the 120 card starter pack, over 8000 codes left as of this post.

Qvoth

ok so... can you mix and match cards from different factions in your deck other than neutral?

oh, and what's the deal with the rainbow holographic colored cards?

erila

Neo Member
Make sure you new guys try some of the codes in the OP, let me know if any work and what doesn't so i can remove them if need be.

New accounts that are less than 6 hrs old can get the 120 card starter pack, over 8000 codes left as of this post.

All of the codes except for the THANK5-4-THE-F4CEBOOK-LUV one worked for me. Thanks for such a detailed OP!

100x Seals & 1x Reinforcement Pack - 5ORRY54TURD4
This one didn't work for me.

Alienware Starer box includes 120 cards, only for accounts than are less than 6 hours old. Over 8000 codes as of 8th Nov 2013.
Hypothetically speaking, could one create a throwaway Uplay account, get this, then trade everything to one's real Uplay account for a bag of rock?

Card Boy

Banned
No like Hearthstone, the game doesn't have a trading system between players.

edit: looks like they ran out of codes anyway.

Kworn

Banned
Does anyone have fun with this game?

I love magic, but this is just a little underwelming and not very addictive or as deep to me.

I really want to play hearthstone. Is it at all similar to this?

Top Bottom