• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty Milky Way: Of T-Rexes, space babes and Vocaloids in FRENCH |OT|

sfried

Deep space cleavage strikes once again:
mighty_milky_way___luna_by_sockhyren-d39qr2f.png

ugOzE.png

Thanks to SockHyren
YOOQZpqqEbNtwVYBtfYJiJyrv9I8eZbc.jpg

Official Website

Trailer

8JKKOUqAPGjY438-LqV1zuuQ26aVzM9Q.jpg
oFPQrFs6APQc7XamsPggnDHX0Ozcszz-.jpg
jqd3NmLGn-hbOITsEutvMGAxYCdhePCz.jpg
2dD7iNBWKAq21gGvy3a5pD1sYCEpTrla.jpg

Official Press:
  • No. of Players: 1 player
  • Category: Puzzles, Strategy
  • Publisher: WayForward Technologies
  • Developer: N/A
  • Nintendo DSi Points: 800

Are you ready to pulse some planets and soar through space? With a pocket full of planet candy and a heart full of ennui, green-skinned cutie-pie Luna needs your help to accomplish her secret mission! Prepare for fever-pitched puzzles in another mighty game from WayForward!

Luna uses her magical staff to create and destroy planets on a whim. Explode vicious space monsters, avoid sizzling electric barriers, and grab all the delicious planet candy you can. But watch out for the T-Rex, Luna’s arch-nemesis! His laser eyes are matched only by the awkwardness of his and Luna’s sketchy past. But enough incessant blathering! Let’s stare into the sun with stoic tears and embrace the rolling chaos that is life!

Gameplay:
The goal of this game is to to make Luna (the main protagonist) reach the vortext at the end of each level. To do so you would need to hop from planet to planet while avoiding obstacles, and if necessary, destroying a planet or two. Why would you want her to reach the goal? Well, apparently that's classified information. So let's just say she's on a top-secret mission...

The basic gist is Luna walks around a planet automatically and you control her jumps. To do so, you tap on a planet, which is called Pulse. But each time you Pulse a planet, it begins to crack. You can, at most, only Pulse a planet twice, which means strategizing your jumps is key.

The main draw (sorry) is also that you can make planets to act as additional gravitational platforms. To make a planet, you must have some Planet Candy with you, then using the stylus, tap and hold on an empty space to create one. The longer you hold, the larger your planet will be, and thus the stronger the gravitational pull. Makes sense so far?

Now you can also control her walk speed to avoid various obstacles like enemies. Using Left or Right changes the speed of how she trots.

And that pretty much summed it up!

OnPoint

They have done such a piss-poor job promoting this game. Hopefully the OT does a better job.

I will be buying it tonight.

Not to rain in the OT parade but at least you could put screens and some video.

And please, dont say "look for the in the internets by yourself", because even if OT have not to be magnifide PRs at least they can be a bit informative, and in my opinion screens and videos is a most.

Didnt know anything about the game, so that could help.

sfried

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Not to rain in the OT parade but at least you could put screens and some video.

And please, dont say "look for the in the internets by yourself", because even if OT have not to be magnifide PRs at least they can be a bit informative, and in my opinion screens and videos is a most.

Didnt know anything about the game, so that could help.
Amended. Although I'm having trouble looking for videos of it.

WayForward inexplicably hasn't released any video of this game. Not sure why, but I suppose this is still the same company that had no problem releasing a 20fps trailer for Shantae. Maybe their video capture unit just broke.

sfried

Father_Brain said:
WayForward inexplicably hasn't released any video of this game. Not sure why, but I suppose this is still the same company that had no problem releasing a 20fps trailer for Shantae. Maybe their video capture unit just broke.
Don't hold it against this game, though. Bad PR does not a bad game make. If fact, this is very far from a bad game.

World 1 finished. First T-Rex encounter completed.

sfried

I take it I'm the only one playing this game so far?

I'm already at World 3 and the puzzles are getting tricky. Planet destroying becomes a necessity and some very precise jumping already came into play in the later levels of World 2. As you can see above, the Stage Clear art becomes more bizarre and cute.

This game is set to release on the 27th of May in Europe which is a massive improvement over the wait we endured for Shantae and could coincide with the release of the 3DS shop. I'm looking forward to this.

sfried

Nocturnowl said:
This game is set to release on the 27th of May in Europe which is a massive improvement over the wait we endured for Shantae and could coincide with the release of the 3DS shop. I'm looking forward to this.
Wait, where did you hear that?

Boney

Banned
Yeah got it yesterday and the frenchie really surprised it, it's a very nice presentation overall. Beat the first world, so I can't really say much of it until it starts to get complex, but it's a nice simple idea the whole planet thing. A bit too expensive though, 500 points would've been much sweeter.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks for the heads up. Game's pretty cute so far. Don't feel like reformatting some comments I made in a chatroom, so here goes:

Mejilan: Hee. Mighty Milky Way looks like it'll be a cute game.
Mejilan: Mario Galaxy planetoids and physics game play converted to a two-dimensional puzzle game.
Mejilan: MMM is pretty neat. You're also destroying and creating planetoids to traverse the levels.
Mejilan: And adjusting Luna's walking/jogging pace to avoid enemies and obstacles.
Mejilan: A bit of both, it seems.
Mejilan: Puzzle platformer.
Mejilan: She walks around planetoids. "Pulsing" a planet by tapping on it causes her to jump (which triggers the gravity physics), but also cracks the planet. Pulsing a second time breaks the planet entirely while serving as a launch into space.
If Luna has Planet Candy revolving around her (picked up around the stage, or possibly just a finite number granted upon the stage's start), then she can create a new planetoid by tapping an holding the stylus to empty space. The longer you hold, the bigger the planet, the greater its gravity.
Mejilan: But you can only create as many planets as you have planet candy.
Mejilan: Pulsing twice and breaking a planet effectively launches her. There are different kinds of barriers. Some you can safely bounce off. Some will kill you.
Mejilan: You have to effectively avoid baddies and bad barriers while effectively utilizing good barriers and gravity to traverse to a warp point which will clear the stage and send you to the next one.
Mejilan: Baddies on double-Pulsed planets will also be launched, so you have to take that into account when lining up your launches.
Mejilan: Good stuff.
Mejilan: It's goofy. And Luna's kind of adorable. Chipper, happy little hop to her walks and jumps.

Nocturnowl said:
Awesome news, I've got 800 points left over from picking up Shantae so I'm glad this is actually reaching Europe.

I wouldn't mind giving it a go as I like when WayForward makes stuff like this. Unfortunately without a DSi I'm forced to wait until the 3ds receives the eshop.

Chocoboko

I played it for a few hours last night and am loving it. Reminds me a lot of kuru kuru kurin(sp?) which is a game that I love a lot, so that is a good thing.

I like the random french phrases yelled when you die. I wonder what the heck she is yelling at me though. :(

OnPoint

Happy to say I picked this up. I don't like how long it takes to restart when you die (Super Meat Boy has ruined me in that regard), but it's super fun so far. Finished the first world, now it's on to the next. Such a simple concept, so much fun.

Raife

Didn't even realize it was out before this thread. I remember reading about it a bit in Nintendo Power. Does anyone know how these games (DSi download only titles) end up doing for Wayforward? They keep putting them out so I'm assuming they get at least a decent return from them.

Yikes, 4 - Dinosaur was the ultimate test of patience until I figured out a pattern that worked out for me. Anyway, I beat that and was able to attempt the final mission,
and I ended up helping Luna destroy Earth
! The artwork was actually pretty funny, but that can't be the real ending, can it? : (

Looks like I might have to beat the last level again to even get a second chance at the finale. *grumbles*

So I was looking at Shin'en's web site for some reason, which led me to WayForward's site, and to my surprise, I see this game for the first time.

So either they're not spreading the word, or nobody here's spreading the word, but I'm sad that I'm just hearing about it now. I can't wait until the 3DS update so that these games will be better promoted.

Guess I'll go download the game and soundtrack now...

tim.mbp

Finished the game yesterday. I don't know how many times I had to try 4-9 and 4-T-Rex levels over, surprised I even stuck with it. The ending is super lame though.

Fun game with a super challenging final stage in W4. I thought the ending was funny and was never looking for some cool story in this game anyway. If that's what she dreams about then so be it. Will check out the post-game new mode sometime soon. <3 WayForward

Top Bottom