• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "DS is a Toy!"

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
From http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041007/nintendo.htm
When asked to compare the DS with Sony Computer Entertainment's upcoming PSP, [Miyamoto] emphasized that the two systems were in different arenas. "The Nintendo DS is a new machine, and the issue isn't whether users will be lost for a choice, but whether they will enjoy the play this machine offers," he said. "Of course, our customers have only one wallet, so from that viewpoint, I suppose we could be in competition." Miyamoto closed his speech by calling the DS "a fun toy," something that both developers and users will enjoy on several levels.
Do 20-somethings play toys on the train?

fennec fox said:

Oh my, but I guess the term "high tech toy" is new too.

To be serious, I don't necessarily see the problem with using something that isn't always deemed as for adults. I guess the fun of bumper boats and cars shouldn't be something adults enjoy either.

That and, what is up with people and being so selfconscious with such things? It's not like you're mentally ill, I think everyone here realizes this, for enjoying something that is juvenile at nature.

aoi tsuki

miyamoto_ds_huh.jpg

Mashing

Ipod is a toy... so what the hell is your point? This is a pretty trollish and retarted thread don't you think?

Drensch

There is a high end car dealer in my town called the Toy Barn. They sell luxury stuff and high end sports cars. I guess the kiddy moniker will begin to haunt them.

Brofist

Clearly this is taken out of context, he didn't mean it as teh little kiddie toy. I mean by default the PSP will have an older audience, because of the price..but I wouldn't look too far into what he said there.

toy

1. An object for children to play with.
2. Something of little importance; a trifle.

Well, that about wraps it up for Nintendo.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
BREAKING NEWS : Video games are trivial. Most of them are made by boys between 20-35 for boys between 15-25 (stereotype, violence, sex-appeal, ...). Stories make very little sense most of the time or are completly cliche.

Let's face it, we got excited and talk about stupid and frivilous BS.

At least, Nintendo knows what is core business is about and don't try to act cool (and makes you think you are cool because you are not).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I've been arguing for years that video games are toys.

Some folks, however, want to try to fashion these toys into "art".

Bah.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jonnyram said:

I think the problem many have is that they don't want videogames to be toys-as-art but just plain trancended beyond what they see as "toys" entirely.

I look at it entirely differently. Videogames are toys that the big boys can enjoy on a new level. An action game is a set of action figures come to life. Gran Turismo is your model car collection that you can actually drive.

Videogames have become, seemingly, intensely tied to hipster culture, and god knows hipster-ism is a quick and easy shortcut to appearing mature and world-weary. For example, Nintendo is teh kiddy not because they really ARE teh kiddy, not in the way that Sesame Street or Barney is or even much of Disney is. They're "teh kiddy" because they're not spewing hipsterosity from every pore, trying so hard to be cool. The way hipsters work, if you're not with them, you're against them and fit only to be mocked and ostracized... lest you be associated with them and contaminate their image.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I think my whining dealt more with folks who seem to disclaim the "toy" and "game" aspect of video games, instead pining for recognition as "artists".

Something being a -toy- does not make it automatically "inferior", and thus I tire of "toy" being used as a perjorative with regards to video games. Games are played as/with toys.

cja

This is like telling little boys G.I. Joes are dolls. Obviously they are but the little kid will get ridiculously wound up by spouting stuff like they're "action figurines", if you get swallowed by that bollocks I suppose you're equally likely to fall for "visual interactive entertainment" or other such nonsense. They're games, toys, playthings, get over it you image obsessed nerds.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
"Dolls" and "action figures" are technically the same thing, but the terminology still matters greatly to the target market.

Miyamoto and friends seem hellbent on putting DS in the proverbial "doll" category.

xsarien

daedsiluap
My iPod is a "toy;" my digital camera is a "toy;" my computer is a "toy;" my cell phone is a "toy."

People need to learn to not be so literal.

Top Bottom