• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana 2 | First Teaser Trailer

jason10mm

Gold Member

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? I thought they were doing a live action Moana? Was The Rock just trolling and it was this instead?

I liked Moana, it was visually cool and most of the songs hit. Hopefully this isn't just a retread of that movie though. Needs a really good villain, for sure.

Thaedolus

Where I come from, you'd literally get shot talking about a Disney movie after the 3rd grade.
neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Neat. I kinda remember the first one. It had a couple good songs at least.

It may not be special in 2024, but I’m still always blown away when I see realistic CG water, especially ocean stuff.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The public: "Hollywood is creatively bankrupt"
Disney: "Hold my beer, fam!"

Rran

I liked the first movie fine, but I didn't think it was anything special. Disney Animation's been doing a lot of sequels lately and I haven't really enjoyed a movie of theirs since Zootopia.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I think Moana is Disney's last great animated movie, so I would watch this with my family.
Ain't going to the theater or putting any amount of effort in, but I would watch it.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? I thought they were doing a live action Moana? Was The Rock just trolling and it was this instead?

I liked Moana, it was visually cool and most of the songs hit. Hopefully this isn't just a retread of that movie though. Needs a really good villain, for sure.
They're actually doing both. An animated sequel (2024), and a live-action remake (2026) :lollipop_squinting:

ManaByte

Gold Member

They’re still doing the live action movie.

This was originally a Cheapek D+ series without the original cast. Iger turned it into a movie and got the cast to return.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They’re still doing the live action movie.

This was originally a Cheapek D+ series without the original cast. Iger turned it into a movie and got the cast to return.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, interest fading quickly then. Sounds like a rush job without the final couple of polishing runs a truly good film gets.

MrMephistoX

I’m parentally obligated to see this in theaters but I’m going in with low expectations as someone who considers Moana and Zootopia to be the last great Disney animated films. Disney has an abysmal track record with sequels: hell most animated sequels in general suck with the notable exception of Pixar.

Doom85

I’m parentally obligated to see this in theaters but I’m going in with low expectations as someone who considers Moana and Zootopia to be the last great Disney animated films. Disney has an abysmal track record with sequels: hell most animated sequels in general suck with the notable exception of Pixar.

Not sure I agree, Dreamworks killed it with Kung fu Panda 2-3 and How to Train Your Dragon 2-3. I only saw the first Madagascar (thought it was average) but apparently the sequels are somewhat better according to those I’ve heard from who saw them. I didn’t care for Shrek 2 but I know most loved it, though 3 and 4 are more divisive (I didn’t bother with those). I assume the Trolls sequels weren’t great but I didn’t like the first Trolls so it’s not like I was expecting much if I did see them.

Across the Spider-verse was excellent, and really Disney has made only two disappointing sequels: Wreck it Ralph 2 (mainly due to being not funny except the Slaughter Race stuff…which is a video game, so yeah shouod have just kept it focused on games and not the Internet) and Frozen 2 (yes, let’s make Anna obnoxious and purposely misinterpret everything Kristoff says, let’s make Kristoff lame and useless, and worst of all let’s end the film with Elsa just abruptly leaving her loved ones she has close connections with to be with some random spirits and a few village people she’s known for a whole day!) That’s bad, but not enough misfires of sequels to count as a track record. Meanwhile, Rescuers Down Under ruled, hell the first Rescuers I found dull as fuck but Down Under is legit fun. And yes, I’m aware of all the direct-to-video Disney sequels, and no I’m not counting those, theatrical releases only. Although for my money the Aladdin sequels were pretty good. And I know some don’t like it, but I enjoy Extremely Goofy Movie even if the X-games focus reeks of desperation to make the movie appeal to kids/teens when it first came out.

I guess there’s Illumination, but with ALL their films I’m lucky to get a tolerable film at best, so I’m not really singling out the sequels there, all their films are run-of-the-mill to me.

MrMephistoX

Not sure I agree, Dreamworks killed it with Kung fu Panda 2-3 and How to Train Your Dragon 2-3. I only saw the first Madagascar (thought it was average) but apparently the sequels are somewhat better according to those I’ve heard from who saw them. I didn’t care for Shrek 2 but I know most loved it, though 3 and 4 are more divisive (I didn’t bother with those). I assume the Trolls sequels weren’t great but I didn’t like the first Trolls so it’s not like I was expecting much if I did see them.

Across the Spider-verse was excellent, and really Disney has made only two disappointing sequels: Wreck it Ralph 2 (mainly due to being not funny except the Slaughter Race stuff…which is a video game, so yeah shouod have just kept it focused on games and not the Internet) and Frozen 2 (yes, let’s make Anna obnoxious and purposely misinterpret everything Kristoff says, let’s make Kristoff lame and useless, and worst of all let’s end the film with Elsa just abruptly leaving her loved ones she has close connections with to be with some random spirits and a few village people she’s known for a whole day!) That’s bad, but not enough misfires of sequels to count as a track record. Meanwhile, Rescuers Down Under ruled, hell the first Rescuers I found dull as fuck but Down Under is legit fun. And yes, I’m aware of all the direct-to-video Disney sequels, and no I’m not counting those, theatrical releases only. Although for my money the Aladdin sequels were pretty good. And I know some don’t like it, but I enjoy Extremely Goofy Movie even if the X-games focus reeks of desperation to make the movie appeal to kids/teens when it first came out.

I guess there’s Illumination, but with ALL their films I’m lucky to get a tolerable film at best, so I’m not really singling out the sequels there, all their films are run-of-the-mill to me.
I’ll give you Across the Spiderverse but I consider that to be on the same level of adult animation, anime or comic books: Spider-Man and comic books in general are serialized by their very nature.

Disney’s animated films have almost always been based on well known children’s literature
and stories that are self contained narratives not franchises. They have a beginning middle and an end: shoehorning side story’s after the hero’s journey is complete is just lazy cashgrabbing that the original authors never intended.

Doom85

Disney’s animated films have almost always been based on well known children’s literature
and stories that are self contained narratives not franchises. They have a beginning middle and an end: shoehorning side story’s after the hero’s journey is complete is just lazy cashgrabbing that the original authors never intended.

Right, but like I said, I only think theatrical releases should count in terms of their track record. I don’t generally expect the same level of effort to go into a straight-to-video release as a theatrical release. And in terms of their theatrical sequels:

-Rescuers is based off a series so multiple films shouldn’t be an issue
-Wreck-it-Ralph is an original screenplay, so it’s exempt from this
-the first Frozen pretty much was nothing like the original tale The Snow Queen, so a sequel isn’t automatically an issue

I thought Spiderverse is Sony film?

Top Bottom