• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modded Xbox Owners beware - dashboard override

jedimike

Evilavatar

Apparently the new Star Wars Trilogy DVDs have an 'Extra Special Features Disc' that, if played on an Xbox, will modify the dashboard software of the console without requesting the users' permission. Although this shouldn't affect most unmodded Xboxs, it does seem weird that a video disc - even one with a game demo on it, like this one - would modify what is essentially firmware on a device without at least confirming it with the user first. Caveat Emperor, I guess.

I'm not really sure about the implications of getting your dashboard updated... but it does it nonetheless.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Weird. Doesn't the disc have the Battlefront demo too? Good thing I saw this...I was gonna try it the other day too

"The Battlefront demo is Xbox Live compatible and when you load it, it updates the Xbox live software if you don't have the most current version."

Eh, then shouldn't there be nothing to worry about?

Chi-Town

When you load in the Battlefront demo, it updates the Xbox Live software(I think this is more likely to happen if you don't actually use Xbox Live). Strangely enough, when I loaded the Outrun 2 demo from the new OXM, IT updated Xbox Live once again. I'm guessing it has a more recent update than Battlefront.

i still don't see why the dashboard update is newsworthy... i mean, it's only like what, 100% of all live games that will update your dash if it's outdated...

oh wait, the battlefront demo is offline only, right? nevermind... anyway, this is mainly a concern for people who softmodded their xbox...

Chi-Town

The Faceless Master said:
i still don't see why the dashboard update is newsworthy... i mean, it's only like what, 100% of all live games that will update your dash if it's outdated...

oh wait, the battlefront demo is offline only, right? nevermind... anyway, this is mainly a concern for people who softmodded their xbox...

I'm wondering if the demo was originally supposed to be playable over Live.

tenchir

This really isn't a problem if you set your modchip to boot your dashboard(AvaLaunch for example) under a different name then the default name(xboxdash.xbe?) of the original dash.

aerofx

You can just delete the Dashupdate.xbe, downloader.xbe, and update.xbe or something along those lines in your Xbox Live compatible games that you decide to play off your HD.

Top Bottom