• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modded XBOX Owners... Show Us Your Dash!

Yusaku

Meier said:
I want to get my Xbox modded so badly but after getting screwed on a modchip in the past I've just never gotten around to trying to buy another. :\

If you don't care about Live then just soft-mod it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
EvoX feels so dated and stale compared to Unleash-X. I hesitantly switched from EvoX to Unleash-X, but now there's simply no way I'm going back. Unleash-X is superior in every way for me so far. It is packed with features, a lot more than EvoX. And those shared with EvoX it simply does better.

And well, I can't deny the audiovisual appeal. The background music, the animated skins, and the userfriendly and dynamic menu interface that changes with the skin.

Here's my skin:

2.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
using unleashx with standard skin. Thinking seriously about switching to XBMC as my dash though. Having played with its settings to get my streams set up, I'm more comfortable fiddling with its config.xml. And it has all I need from a dash (launch apps, emus, FTP and WEB server built in).

And nice and easy to just play music/video - just switch on.

too lazy to use anything but EvoX. Besides, don't really use my Xbaby for more than XBMC and Emus

Then how about XBMC as your dash? You can set it up fairly easily to launch your emus and get to your media quickly?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I cant get shoutcast to work in the new versions of XBMC (1.1 at the moment) I select it in the menu and nothing happens, same with movie trailers, is there something i need to set up for them to work?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Do you have python installed? Delete the old save file? face008 ( I think)

I can get shoutcast to work, not the movie trailers. I tried both QT scripts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
don't know. I'm using the september 25 build and its fine.

Is there any way to get web radio as a main link (like in My Music or similar)? Its a bit of a pain to have to use that little pop up menu for web radio.

Rockman

Ghost said:
I cant get shoutcast to work in the new versions of XBMC (1.1 at the moment) I select it in the menu and nothing happens, same with movie trailers, is there something i need to set up for them to work?

I have v1.1.0 and everything is working great. Are you able to get RSS feeds? Maybe you are having network issues. Try using the DHCP setting and see if that fixes the problem.

Kon Tiki

Banned
mrklaw said:
don't know. I'm using the september 25 build and its fine.

Is there any way to get web radio as a main link (like in My Music or similar)? Its a bit of a pain to have to use that little pop up menu for web radio.
If you sub it for another one. Otherwise you would have to change the skin.

PhatSaqs

Banned
shuri said:
Oh get lost. I use my modded xbox to play legit foreign zone dvds i buy.
Sure you do :p

Look i'm not saying you all are scum. Just find it funny that this post is basically a call to arms of all of the GA pirates :p

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
PhatSaqs said:

Look i'm not saying you all are scum. Just find it funny that this post is basically a call to arms of all of the GA pirates :p

So thats why you came in.

p.s Thanks for the help society, deleting that save file did the trick.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Ghost said:
So thats why you came in.

p.s Thanks for the help society, deleting that save file did the trick.

No problem.

If you can not get the Movie Trailer to work try QT2 and new qt codecs.

Put the qt2 in the scripts folder and the (extracted) codecs in XBMC\mplayer\codec dir.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

This is getting old. You're obviously envious. I did a search on all the modded threads and you always come in and 'hate'.

Grow up.

Tyrael

ux.jpg

I use this UnleashX skin for a long time, a bit dark in this photo, the only I find on the net. It's have a nice animation on the background.

PhatSaqs

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
This is getting old. You're obviously envious. I did a search on all the modded threads and you always come in and 'hate'.

Grow up.
Really. :lol Kinda like you and Halo huh? :p

Seriously though. I dont think I've ever come into one of these threads. And im just havin fun brah. I never said I disagree with it. Damn....

DaCocoBrova

Really. Kinda like you and Halo huh?

No. Halo is severly overrated. The modded XBOX experience is underrated.

It's all good.

But stop equating modders to pirates. I only started doing that kind of thing in the last year. ;)

__

Some UnleashX questions:

How do I change the song playing in the background when I enable BGM

How do I stop the XBOX from rebooting while hitting eject (I think it's a BIOS thing, but I didn't see the option in EvoX. While in EvoX, it doesn't reboot when I hit eject.)

How do I get rid of the sound it makes when I move the curser? Drives me nuts.

Tyrael

DaCocoBrova said:
Some UnleashX questions:

How do I change the song playing in the background when I enable BGM

How do I stop the XBOX from rebooting while hitting eject (I think it's a BIOS thing, but I didn't see the option in EvoX. While in EvoX, it doesn't reboot when I hit eject.)

How do I get rid of the sound it makes when I move the curser? Drives me nuts.

I don't think you can change the BGM sounds while they're playing, only turn off or randomize the music, maybe this will be implemented on a future version.

The reset problem is strange... I too used the EvoX before the UnleashX and it never happened with me. Try take a look on the Xbox-Scene forums.

I think you can disable the sound on the setings menu. If not, try take a look on the config.xml, all the UnleashX configuration is there, maybe editing some line code you can disable the sound. It's very easy to do, you also can customize your menu editing this file. :)

Kweh

UnleashX looks cool. Where can I download it from? Their website is under construction at the minute

DaCocoBrova

You get it where you 'get' all the other modded XBOX related sh!t. XBINS.

DaCocoBrova

Settings --> Sound and Audio --> Sound volume 0

Changes such as that one don't take effect until you reboot the XBOX apparently. Odd.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Buggy Loop said:
What do i have to do to get movie previews when selecting a game in unleashx? Sounds sweet :D

Download the trailer, upload it to your Xbox.
Then go to your game section in Unleash-X, highlight a game, press start and select "edit item". A menu will appear that allows you to select the location of the trailer you want to be shown for that particular game.

Ryck

gtmax said:
So no one will tell me where i can take my xbox to get modded? i won't trust myself to do it...myself.
Go to xbox-scene they have a forum for local modders..........{ontopic}My xbox is saving the screenshots as a bmp file how the heck do you host that. Or should I say who will host that?

Kon Tiki

Banned
I finally switched to unleashX, great dash. I use XBMC as my second dash.

While I was testing out the features for UnleashX, I tried to d/l a save for a game (that I never played in a long time) and it gave me some errors, loaded up the game, ended up coruppting my own saves for that game :/ .

Yusaku

Just switched from EvoX to XBMC. I'm using a script to randomly play a playlist at bootup, and now I have even quicker acess to all my Xbox multimedia needs.

tenchir

Quick question to people who softmod their XBOX. My sister is asking me to mod the XBOX she is going to buy for her nephew and I am thinking to softmod it. Since I am also going to use that xbox to go on XBOXLive(mine is heavily modded), is there going to be any problem with Live+softmod? Or should I go with modchip that shuts off itself whenever it detects the xbox is going on Live?

Kon Tiki

Banned
tenchir said:
Quick question to people who softmod their XBOX. My sister is asking me to mod the XBOX she is going to buy for her nephew and I am thinking to softmod it. Since I am also going to use that xbox to go on XBOXLive(mine is heavily modded), is there going to be any problem with Live+softmod? Or should I go with modchip that shuts off itself whenever it detects the xbox is going on Live?
Well if you are going to softmod, you most likely want a bigger HDD. So keep t the original for XBL.

aku:jiki

I have some shit the guy that modded it slapped on there. My problem is that Xbox fans apparently aren't very keen on graphic design, and when I tried to make my own it looked all fucked up because I guess I was doing too low rez designwork for it to work on a TV screen (or whatever).. So fuck it, I'll just keep using it for MAME and not care about how it looks.

tenchir

Society said:
Well if you are going to softmod, you most likely want a bigger HDD. So keep t the original for XBL.

I am not going to replace the HDD at all, I am only modding it for XBMC(so he can view animes and listen to musics that are on my computer). I already have the original xbox HDD from my first xbox. SO will there be any problem with softmod and XBLive? Or should I just buy a modchip and save myself the hassle?

Tain

Unleash X is king.

Tain_red.jpg

This is just a simple red thing based off of the default UnleashX skin. I made all the icons for the orb on a transparent background, so it looks pretty cool.

ChuDash.jpg

Chu Chu Rocket animated skin (with a stylish intro and outro, if I do say so myself) made for my girlfriend, based on some animations I had made earlier in 3ds max.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If I were evil and an MS exec (I know, redundant), I'd start threads like this just to track IP addresses of Xbox modders.

If I were evil, an MS exec, and had access to the logs.

Yusaku

tenchir said:
I am not going to replace the HDD at all, I am only modding it for XBMC(so he can view animes and listen to musics that are on my computer). I already have the original xbox HDD from my first xbox. SO will there be any problem with softmod and XBLive? Or should I just buy a modchip and save myself the hassle?

You should buy a second Xbox if you want to go on Live, with all the crazy shit that's been going on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, the soft modding facts:

if you just soft mod your xbox and follow the instructions to the T, you can play on live.

most people who get screwed with softmodding are people who play (please don't ban me) pirated XBox Live Aware games that don't realize they are XBL Aware (the uncut Liesure Suit Larry pirate copy is the most infamous of these). Doing anything on XBox Live with the softmod enabled (ie booting to the softmod and then launching a live game) WILL get you banned.

The most recent bannings seem to be primarily targetted at people who were already banned. When you are banned essentially only your eeprom serial number is banned. The previous way to get around this was to just copy a buddy's eeprom who wasn't ever going to go on live. Unfortunately now they are logging eeprom serials with hard drive serials and checking them against what they have logged. This means that everyone who was already banned a first time will be banned again if they only changed their eeprom but kept their original hard drive.

And to also note, none of this is specifically related to softmodding. The reason softmodding is being singled out in forums is because its usage has only become widespread recently. The modchip community has been dealing with this crap for years now whereas the relatively new softmodding community has only started dealing with it recently.

So to reiterate, softmodding is completely safe as long as you a) boot your xbox from retail games or b) launch games from your modded dashboard ONLY WITH THE EHTERNET UNPLUGGED. And at this stage if you do get banned, you are seriously just better off buying a new xbox for live play, because otherwise bare minimum you would need someone's eeprom and a new hard drive to actually get yours unbanned.

Ecrofirt

what if I've got the MS Dash setup to not connect to live?

I've got a modchip in, but I want to get Live for Halo 2.

Ecrofirt

Also:

I've had problems with features in both UnleashX and Avalaunch. I can't get the RSS feeds to work in Avalaunch, and the FTP client is screwy for me with UnleashX.

DaCocoBrova

Does your RSS work in XBMC? What RSS server are you pointing to?

Top Bottom