• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern 3D graphics explained

Dagon

It's been a while since I've read through some graphics tech documents, and with the new hardware imminent, now's as good a time as any.

So, can any of you graphics whor...technology followers please point me in the direction of some good resources? If my games are going to be using bi- and trilinear filtering and MIP-mapping and all the other scarily acronymed technologies, I'd like to know what the hell they actually are.

There used to be a big guide on IGN a long, long time ago... perhaps on next-generation.com, that defined antitriscopic filtering, texture mapping, phong shading, all that shit. I wonder where that is, I remember not being able to find it like 2 years ago.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Dagon said:
It's been a while since I've read through some graphics tech documents, and with the new hardware imminent, now's as good a time as any.

So, can any of you graphics whor...technology followers please point me in the direction of some good resources? If my games are going to be using bi- and trilinear filtering and MIP-mapping and all the other scarily acronymed technologies, I'd like to know what the hell they actually are.
If I remember correctly... Bi-linear Filtering is used when you get really close to an object to estimate what a texture would look like really close. So it doesn't look all blocky. However, bi-linear filtering can be blurry.

Mip-mapping is used to eliminate a shimmer effect. Basically when a texture is too far away to actually be represented by all the pixels... you downgrade to a small texture that maps to the number of pixels you'll actually be drawing to.

Top Bottom