• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: The Beauty of Isometric Video Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Due to the limitations of home computers and game consoles, for years true 3d rendering was mostly out of reach for developers. However, by applying an isometric projection, a fake or pseudo 3D effect can provide a 3d like experience to the game. Isometric views in video games have existed around in video games since the early 80s. And during the late 90s, PC resolutions were large enough and CPUs were becoming powerful enough where developers could pre-render 3d models and combine them with an isometric view to produce beautifully realistic looking environments. In todays episode we deep dive into the world of Isometric graphics in video games.

Timestamps:

00:00 - 01:58 - Introduction to Isometric video games
03:58 - 19:41 - Isometric video games over the years
19:41 - 20:01 - Outro

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nah. I have a lifelong trauma from playing Solstice on the NES.
Any isometric game that included serious platforming was a nightmare. Judging distances and heights while moving a character that cast no shadow above insta-death spike floors was sooooo not fun, chums.
The aesthetics were good, but of the handful of isometric adventure games I played in my life, not one made me ever feel totally in control of things.

Wildebeest

It could be a smooth and readable style, especially with hand drawn pixel art. The 3D Syndicate Wars seemed a major downgrade from Syndicate in most ways. Probably, X-Com was the game which did the most to break it out of the British scene to the US. The devs of Fallout and Diablo were more directly inspired by it than Knight Lore.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

The 3D Syndicate Wars seemed a major downgrade from Syndicate in most ways.
I preferred SWars to the original (+ add-on). Mainly because the fixed perspective of the first had lots of blind corners and dead angles. Using the Magic Carpet engine allowed for full map rotation, and the wireframe mode added extra visibility.

cireza

Gold Member
images
images
images
images
images

Loved all these games. Yes, platforming was a bit "trial and error", but the perspective made these games incredibly immersive.

Also this one, simply love this game :)
images

On GBA, this racing game is fantastic :
Racing_Gears_Advance.jpg

Last edited:
Oh some nice old ones in there - Driller (I think), Uridium, and Head Over Heals which I found on Antstream and attempted to play again last week for the first time in what must be pushing 36 years. No idea what what I was doing, which is strange seeing as back then it was played with a joystick and single button, so I can't put the blame on 'TOO MANY BUTTONS' as I usually do these days :<

I had this for the Sega Saturn and loved it.

Crusader: No Remorse was a great game, even though it was pretty difficult to play it on consoles at the time (with that ancient controllers before 3D platformers started to show up mid to late gen);

I remember playing this obscure (even at the time) Konami published game Project Overkill on PS1: it was a mediocre copy-paste game based on Crusader (or something of sorts), but it had its 90´s-low-budget-scifi-tv-series charm and the gameplay wasn´t the worst... It could be greatly improved by the late DualShock controller.

sJKhtAO.jpeg
TiF5TcF.jpeg
iFaYaJK.jpeg

There's also this great indie game "Curse of the Dead Gods"; I think it was released in the same release window with Hades, but I liked "Curse" much more... it has a more methodical and calculated gameplay, the theme is very interesting and it's not so chaotic, with the difficulty curve made in a much more accessible way and better thought out.

This game is really worth it.

iU3ZSKQ.jpeg
CLysORJ.jpeg
QRLJC71.jpeg

Great piece of work, as always, IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo !

StereoVsn

I loved some of those older isometric games. X-Com, Crusader No Remorse, Syndicate, Fallout 1&2, Baldur’s Gate 1&2, other Infinity Engine games and many more on both PC and consoles.

Mmm… it’s all very nostalgic.

Top Bottom