• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom accused of injecting feces into son's IV pleads guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalonJH

....Gaf, you can't make this stuff up...

http://www.wave3.com/story/29429240...ng-feces-in-sons-iv-could-plead-guilty-monday

After a series of delays, the mother accused of injecting feces into her ill son's IV finally pleaded guilty Wednesday.

Prosecutors say Candida Fluty, 36, injected bodily fluids into the 9-year-old's IV during his treatment at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

The West Virginia woman was indicted Jan. 27 on charges of felonious assault and endangering children. She is expected to serve six years in prison.

Fluty’s son has spent most of his life in-and-out of hospitals struggling with a disease called Hirschprung's that affects the colon, according to family members.

Prosecutors suspect the boy's illness may have been exaggerated or intensified by his own mother suffering from a mental disorder called Munchausen by proxy.

Munchausen syndrome is a factitious disorder, a mental disorder in which a person repeatedly and deliberately acts as if he or she has a physical or mental illness when he or she is not really sick. Munchausen syndrome is considered a mental illness because it is associated with severe emotional difficulties.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said surveillance photos show Fluty tampering with the IV bag.

8207419_G.jpg

"It was fecal matter and there was also, apparently, some urine and vaginal cells in material,” said Deters at an arraignment hearing in February. Officials suspected the urine in the mixture is that of Fluty, and the feces is her son's.

Her hearing was originally set for Monday, but it was pushed back a day after she failed to appear. Her lawyer said she mixed the date.

Then, a scare over a suspicious item in a suitcase a woman tried to bring into the courthouse evacuated the entire building Tuesday morning. By lunchtime, officials closed the courthouse for the day.

The suspicious item turned out to be a bottle of perfume shaped like a World War II-era grenade.

If you're interested in the original story:
http://www.fox19.com/story/27946363/mother-allegedly-injects-son-with-feces

6549418_G.jpg

A mother accused of injecting feces into her son's IV bag was ordered by a Hamilton County judge on Friday to stay away from her three children.

Candida Fluty was indicted Jan. 27 on charges of felonious assault and endangering children.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters says surveillance photos show Fluty injecting the bodily fluids in to her son's IV at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Deters presented the photos Friday at Fluty's arraignment hearing in an effort to increase her bond. The judge denied the motion, allowing Fluty to return to her home of West Virginia on the stipulation she continue to show up for court and refrain from contacting her kids.

"I can't really comment a lot at this time, but I would do anything for any of my children, no matter what, I would do anything for any of my children," said Fluty after the arraignment.

Fluty was released from Hamilton County Jail last month after posting a $50,000 bond. Her son and two other children are reportedly staying in West Virginia with family members.

The 9-year-old boy has spent most of his life in-and-out of hospitals struggling with a disease called Hirschprung's that affects the colon, according to family members.

Prosecutors suspect his illness may have been exaggerated or intensified by his own mother suffering from a mental disorder called Munchausen by proxy.

"Munchausen by proxy is when usually a parent does something to make their child appear sick to get a psychological gain or response for the parent,” said Dr. Stephen Strakowski, professor of psychiatry at UC Medical Center.

Strakowski says it's a rare form of medical child abuse that often times goes unreported. In this potential case, sources said Fluty allegedly injected the feces into his own IV to create a bacterial infection. Sources believe she did it on several occasions and at least one of them is caught on camera.

"It was fecal matter and there was also, apparently, some urine and vaginal cells in material,” said Deters. Officials suspect the urine in the mixture is that of Fluty, and the feces is her son's.

On Fluty's public Facebook page, which has since been taken down, she shared pictures of her son as the Kick-Off Kid for Children's Hospital at a Cincinnati Bengals game in December. She also put up several posts about his medical condition.

The day before her arrest, Fluty wrote that her son had 9 teeth removed and a “tube changed." He was taking morphine, she added, expressing hopes the slight fever he developed came as a side effect from anesthesia.

In Fluty's hometown of Kermit, West Virginia, friends and family took to Facebook creating the page “Free Candy Fluty” after her arrest. Hundreds shared her statuses adding they were praying for her family and hoped the “truth will come out.”

....Oh, I hate humanity now.

no_way_Neil_deGrasse_Tyson.gif

Dr. Strakowski says the excess social media activity is yet another red flag.

"When you think about it psychologically, the person is trying to gain some emotional benefit and if he or she is able to engage the community into that same process and convincingly gain from it, which she would then it's easy to imagine how people might follow her,” Strakowski said.

Fluty was arrested Jan. 17 and charged with felonious assault and endangering children. In court at the time, prosecutors would not release what the substance was but asked the judge grant a no contact order with her son.

"Although rare, we have seen similar cases with similar motivations," Deters said. "I'm just grateful that it was caught before we were confronted with a murder case."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Munchausen syndrome by proxy. :( Terribly sad.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Holy fuck.

Reminds of that similar story about a mother who poisoned her child over years just to get attention and pity on her blog.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32226616

Lacey Spears, 27, of New York, administered salt into her son Garnett's feeding tube from infancy while writing a blog about his illness.

Prosecutors described her actions as evil, inhuman and despicable.

The judge said she was suffering from a rare mental disorder and so was spared the maximum 25-year sentence available.

Garnett died in 2014 at Westchester Medical Centre after he was treated for gastrointestinal symptoms that Spears had induced.

His feeding tube had been in place since infancy when Spears told doctors he could not keep food down.

When she took him to hospital saying he was having seizures, doctors found his sodium levels to be extremely high.

The prosecution said that having administered him salt at their home in suburban New York, she twice took Garnett into a bathroom at the hospital to do the same.

They said she posted pictures of him dying on her Facebook account.

Acting state supreme court justice Robert Neary called Spears' crime "unfathomable in its cruelty'', bringing Garnett "five years of torment and pain".

Assistant district attorney Doreen Lloyd said: "She continued to portray him as a sick child for her own bizarre need for attention.

"She used that feeding tube as a weapon to kill him."

Spears had told investigators that her son, whose father was killed in a car accident, suffered from a number of medical problems from Crohn's disease and Celiac diseases to ear abnormalities.
The judge described her as mentally ill and identified her condition as Munchausen by proxy syndrome, in which a person, usually a parent, sickens a child to gain attention from the child's plight.

Her defence lawyers had refused to raise the disorder as a defence and said she had not been diagnosed with any mental illness.

They had asked for the minimum sentence of 15 years. They have filed an appeal against her conviction.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Sadly my selfish first reaction is "Whew. I'm so happy she wasn't black."

..doesn't make it any less horrible. WTF kinda shit is this?

Munchausen by proxy is VERY serious stuff. Poor kid. People should be evaluated for mental fitness before being able to have kids.

Surprised it's not Florida.

Horrible woman, I can't imagine what the son must feel, being betrayed by his own mother like that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sounds like the woman should never be allowed children or hospital equipment. I couldn't imagine how they caught on to this?

Are there security cameras in a lot of patient's rooms? I thought that would violate something, but it's a good way to catch the monster.

They should make her eat Ebola patient feces for doing this. I'm not in health care anymore, so I can say things like that.

JDSN

Banned
Its such a weird thing how prevalenT is this methods of hurting people in Munchausen patients, I can picture the person researching, finding this method along information about the dissease, judicial repercutions, media outrage and yet they go through with it.
Hahaha nice.

TalonJH

Sounds like the woman should never be allowed children or hospital equipment. I couldn't imagine how they caught on to this?

Are there security cameras in a lot of patient's rooms? I thought that would violate something, but it's a good way to catch the monster.

They should make her eat Ebola patient feces for doing this. I'm not in health care anymore, so I can say things like that.

The picture in the post is from a security camera. I feel like I've seen cameras in hospital rooms before. Maybe not.

Is the kiddie okay now?

I believe he is fine.

I was hanging out with friends this weekend who are both nurses and they both had separate stories about people putting feces into IVs. One was by the person to get themself intentionally sick and the other was by a husband to his wife. Sick shit... literally.

Those two stories in this thread... Fuck. Might be the legit most depressing thread I have ever read here. These are the type of offences where I personally would be fine with the imposition of the death penalty despite a diagnosis of mental illness being made. Slowly, methodically torturing your child to death for attention so you can blog about it? You can definitely ride the lightening for all I care.

Well it's not like there aren't any retarded people anymore. Just like how some are born with messed up limbs, some are born with messed up minds.

Another failure of the system in sufficiently doing what is needed to help someone with a mental disorder.

Lack of funding created this issue. But hey let's throw her in jail for 6 years and hopefully (LOL) she gets the needed medicinal treatment and therapy while living in depressing hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom