• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Farm RPG for DS

neo2046

scan from Famitsu
up7322.jpg

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Do you read Japanese? The rightmost screens look like they could be from the second screen.

Falch

No I don't. That's why I made that comment. ;)

What you're saying could be truth though. Confusing way of showing it though.

neo2046

Falch said:
Well, that doesn't really explain how the two screens will be used together...
that is battle zone screen
upper screen - enemies (Monsters)
lower screen - you and other partners

no idea what is the difference of the 2 screens in the middle pic (Field map screen)

BuddyC

There are really only two sets of screen shots. The upper shot is for the top screen and the lower is for the bottom. The field shot is just one big shot split between the screens, and the bars on the top/bottom of the battle screens show that they both appear on different screens.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wow! That does look good. I can't wait to see some of the other NDS RPG's. It's one of the old genres i'm most excited about touchscreen wise.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't see what's so great about the screenshots, unless the left screenshot is in real time (which I highly doubt)

GDGF

Soothsayer
You really think that's pre rendered Wario64? It looks like an N64+ game. Nothing the DS wouldn't be able to handle. Don't forget, the NDS does cell shading, too.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Tecmo has announced that it will release a new Monster Rancher game for the Nintendo DS in Japan, titled Monster Farm Jamboree. Instead of playing as the traditional monster creating and breeding simulation, Monster Farm Jamboree will be the first title in the series that is a standard RPG. Details on Monster Farm Jamboree are still undisclosed, but the game is expected to take advantage of the various functionality of the Nintendo DS.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/21/news_6108030.html

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15430&highlight=Monster+Farm

Name is Monster Farm Jamboree.

I'm think the screen on the left is real time. The characters in the foreground are artwork, but the character in the back has a circle shadow, so I'm assuming it's realtime.

Jacobi

Banned
kitchenmotors said:
I'm think the screen on the left is real time. The characters in the foreground are artwork, but the character in the back has a circle shadow, so I'm assuming it's realtime.
I think so too (+the background is prerendered).

GDGF

Soothsayer
There's nothing geometricly speaking in that shot that couldn't have been done on the N64, let alone the NDS. Some people must have completely forgotten what the games of last generation looked like, apparently :)

This looks pretty nice from the small screens. I've always enjoyed the Monster Farm series. I'm not sure about them going to the RPG route, but I guess they really needed to do something to change the system of things.

To other posters wondering about the CD code thing to get monsters, in the past GBA games they put in a code system where you can type in a word or some random letters to get something. Yeah, not as fun heh.

Why can't they use the touch screen for monster creation? Say if you doodle something, it determines the type of monster you'll get. I think that would be a neat way of using the touch screen.

GDGF

Soothsayer
kitchenmotors said:
Why can't they use the touch screen for monster creation? Say if you doodle something, it determines the type of monster you'll get. I think that would be a neat way of using the touch screen.

That's a really nice idea, actually.

kitchenmotors said:

We have a winnah!

Top Bottom