• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: GOTY - Eighth annual CESA award winners announced

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111589.html

This has got to say something about the Japanese market.

I mean the game is pretty good, and doesn't deserve alot of the crap it's gotten here, but GOTY?? And absolutely no recognition of Ninja Gaiden seems strange

Eighth annual CESA award winners announced
Tokyo Game Show's parent organization awards Monster Hunter best game of the year honors.

TOKYO--The eighth annual Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association (CESA) Game Awards was held in Tokyo today. The umbrella organization for Japanese video game publishers named the top games of the year, chosen by votes from members of the public and the CESA awards committee.

This year's Game of the Year honors went to Capcom's online PlayStation 2 RPG Monster Hunter. The award for Best Sales went to Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green, which racked up sales of two million copies in its first three weeks of availability. (The same award last year went to Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.)

In addition to other awards for top games released over the past year, CESA also recognized some of the titles that will be released next year and that look to be major hits, like Radiata Stories from Square Enix and Wanda and the Colossus from Sony Computer Entertainment. A full list of this year's award winners is below.

CESA Game Awards 2003-2004

Award of Excellence:
Monster Hunter (Capcom, PS2)

Outstanding Award:
Onimusha 3 (Capcom, PS2)
Grand Theft Auto III (Capcom[publisher], PS2)
Gyakuten Saiban 3 (Capcom, GBA)
Kadamari Damacy (Namco, PS2)
Tales of Symphonia (Namco, GC)
Sengoku Musou (Koei, PS2 Xbox)
Dragon Quest V (Square Enix, PS2)
Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green (Nintendo, GBA)
Minna no Golf 4 (SCEI, PS2)
World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 (Konami, PS2)

Best Sales Award:
Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green (Nintendo, GBA)

Global Award:
Exciting Pro Wrestling 5 (Yuke's, PS2)
Need for Speed Underground (Electronic Arts, PS2 GC XBox GBA PC)

Special Award:
EyeToy: Play (SCEI, PS2)
Kenshin Dragon Quest (Square Enix, Etc)
Famicom Mini series (Nintendo, GBA)

Game Awards Future:
Biohazard 4 (Capcom, GC)
Rockman.Exe 5: Team of Blues, Team of Colonel (Capcom, GBA)
Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix, PS2)
Dragon Quest VIII (Square Enix, PS2)
Radiata Stories (Square Enix, PS2)
Gran Tourismo 4 (SCEI, PS2)
Wanda to Kyozou (SCEI, PS2)
Tales of Rebirth (Namco, PS2)
Burnout 2: Take Down (Electronic Arts, PS2)
Halo 2 (Microsoft, Xbox)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Konami, PS2)

jarrod

Banned
Award of Excellence:
Monster Hunter (Capcom, PS2)

Outstanding Award:
Onimusha 3 (Capcom, PS2)
Grand Theft Auto III (Capcom[publisher], PS2)
Gyakuten Saiban 3 (Capcom, GBA)

Game Awards Future:
Biohazard 4 (Capcom, GC)
Rockman.Exe 5: Team of Blues, Team of Colonel (Capcom, GBA)
CAPCOM!!!

Best Sales Award:
Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green (Nintendo, GBA)
Gee, I guess we can include CESA in that list of extreme Nintendo fanatics who only combines Pokemon versions when it suits their arguments. ;)

john tv

That whole Game Awards Future thing they do every year has to be one of the most retarded ideas I've ever heard of. Yeah, let's give some awards to games that aren't even out yet! Because we don't have enough other awards to give out!

Also, no mention of Ninja Gaiden at all does seem pretty lame.

And now that I look at it, WTF? Is the CESA run by Capcom? Giving a future award to Rockman EXE 5?? The most unoriginal, overmilked franchise currently in existence?

Japan never ceases to amaze me...

WarPig

They forgot to mention the GAME AWARDS INDIES, which rewarded independent PC games. A gold star to whoever can explain what that game called "MANNEKENPIS" is.

Oh, yeah, the rest of the awards are mostly pretty stupid, but you all knew that already.

DFS.

kiryogi

Banned
john tv said:
That whole Game Awards Future thing they do every year has to be one of the most retarded ideas I've ever heard of. Yeah, let's give some awards to games that aren't even out yet! Because we don't have enough other awards to give out!

Also, no mention of Ninja Gaiden at all does seem pretty lame.

And now that I look at it, WTF? Is the CESA run by Capcom? Giving a future award to Rockman EXE 5?? The most unoriginal, overmilked franchise currently in existence?

Japan never ceases to amaze me...

.EXE 5 is actually pushing new ideas tho :eek: Quite the change if you ever bothered with my threads XD

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I fecking told you all this was a good game. THE SUPERIOR VOICE OF THE JAPANESE GAMER HAS SPOKEN AND SMOTE DOWN YOU NON-BELIEVERS!

*ahem*

Monster Hunter fecking rocks.

"This has got to say something about the Japanese market.

I mean the game is pretty good, and doesn't deserve alot of the crap it's gotten here, but GOTY?? "

The online set up and fun to be had with the Japanese community made this game for me.
I've no idea how it works with the US set up, but most of peoples time here was spent helping lower levellers and just generally having a laugh.

I put in 150+ hours and was still HR13!

I'd agree with it - so far, Monster Hunter is easily my game of the year, although i'm sure Halo 2, GTA:SA, Half Life 2, DQ8 will be calling around later to kick my shins.

PS: aren't a large portion of the votes for games taken at TGS? So basically this is a poll of the more hardcore Japanese gamers - or outright freaks ? ;)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
images755771.jpg
images755772.jpg

images755770.jpg

As for Ninja Gaiden. Cool game but I like Monster Hunter better than Ninja Gaiden.

This bodes well for a Monster Hunter sequel on PS3... :)

DCharlie

"This bodes well for a Monster Hunter sequel on PS3..."

well, the Japanese are about to get Monster Hunter G (the US version, which has some mild differences to the JPN version)

But the "music book" has lots of artwork of armour, dragons, weapons etc... that aren't in Monster Hunter.

I suspect we'll see an expansion pack, or something akin to the File #2 Biohazard game first.

A PSP Monster Hunter would be cool as well :)

WarPig

Hey, DC, do you know what that Mannekenpis thing is? Other than a slightly risque Belgian statue? This is really bugging me now.

DFS.

I cant really see PSP monster hunter being that cool unless since you can't play online while your on the go.

It might be cool If PS3 Monster Hunter has connectivity so you can do solo quests on the go.

DCharlie

"Hey, DC, do you know what that Mannekenpis thing is? Other than a slightly risque Belgian statue? This is really bugging me now."

if that is in the US version i can't help you ...

if it's in the JPN version, feck knows! :)

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
sp0rsk said:
i want to know when you find this.

All I can do is tide you over further with a bigger shot:

20041028-ce08.jpg

It was made by Masatsugu Konuma [ 小沼雅嗣 ], who apparently has been shopping the concept around to various game companies for the past 10 years. It's also possible, from what I'm gleaning from the CESA news reports, that the game was made specifically for the show? I'm not positive.

Just trying to throw more details out there to aid other searchers. I've been searching for 小便小僧 ゲーム as well, to no avail.

The other INDIES winner, Burger Maker, can be downloaded at http://mclover.net/Program/BMaker.htm

Jesus Christ. I was reading your story and briefly thought "hahaha, is it about statues peeing" and then was like "no, that can't be it."

Top Bottom