• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter GS preview...

"From what we've played so far, Monster Hunter is looking like a very promising entry in the PlayStation 2's catalog. The simple fun to be had in hunting dinosaurs is pretty addictive, and the appeal of playing online with your friends is undeniable. If you're looking for a change of pace for an online game, you'll definitely want to be on the trail of Monster Hunter this fall."

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/monsterhunter/preview_6106099.html?tag=gs__flashtop_bg

A big video preview too! Looks great :D

I have had interest in this game from the beginning. So do you have to pay monthly fees?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doom_Bringer said:
so the game has free online play?

In North America, yes. Free online play. :)

I hope to see some of you online, I'll be picking up Monster Hunter for sure now.

Grizzlyjin said:
In North America, yes. Free online play. :)

I hope to see some of you online, I'll be picking up Monster Hunter for sure now.

Yeah this is a good reason to buy the ps2 network adapter.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So Outbreak 2 is a no-go for communication again? Sounds like another no-sale from me...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Defensor said:
Yes, for ingame chat. I wish Outbreak file #2 could have that kind of support ingame :/

Yeah, but that was a gameplay choice rather than just the feature being forgotten. Its sad really...

Been looking forward to this since seeing videos for it on a Japanese demo disc a few months back. I'll definately have to pick this up on release date. Can't wait to play it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I am trapped in the UK with very few games at my disposal and my folks have thrown out all my Atari ST disks (but thoughtfully retained the machine - arghhh) , how i yearn for Monster Hunter action right now...

Free online play? Count me in, too.

I wasn't sure if my Logitech Netplay controller was going to get any use after I broke my FFXI addiction. Good news.

AfroLuffy

I think i'm going to pick this up. I've been in the mood for an old fashioned hack'em up blood bath with similarities to PSO. Hopefully, it'll ease the pain of quitting ffxi and cs recently.

Does anyone know if the ps2 network adaptor is compatible with a launch system?

I've heard that they aren't, which would totally suck since the ps2 i picked up launch day is, amazingly, still functioning perfectly; and I can't justify buying a new ps2 just for online play, weak as it currently is.

Ranger X

This game certainly is close to a MMORPG somewhere and it's free. I think i'm gonna buy it even if it may end up not being a AAA title.
If Monster Hunter have strong sales, maybe we'll start to see more and more free games in the RPG genre online. One day, we will stop to pay to play MMORPG online "because it's a MMORPG".

Alex

Monster Hunter is not an MMORPG.

Of course, neither is Phantasy Star Online, and that doesn't stop Sega from charging.

MMO games don't just charge for "being MMO's", espically the more tightly ran ones, FFXI and back when I played DAoC at least, being the best examples.

Although if you've brought up that arguement in the past and no one has been able to justify why to you, I doubt I'll make much of a difference, hehe.

Ranger X

Alex said:
Monster Hunter is not an MMORPG.

I know. I said "it's close somewhere".
As for the "should we pay for MMORPG" debate, let's not start it. Whatever anybody would say, i still think we shouldn't pay. There's ALOT of stuff in this world that we pay for shabby reasons and MMORPG is one of them. Maybe we can discuss this other story in another thread ;)

Top Bottom