• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More set top retro boxes

COCKLES

being watched
http://www.firebox.com/index.html?d...ch&searchstring=arcadelegends&searchfeature=1

p862b.jpg

Celebrate the 25th anniversary of arguably the greatest video game ever with our new Space Invaders 5-in-1 games unit. As well as the lead game it manages to squeeze five other classic Taito titles into one self-contained plug'n'play console complete with arcade-style joystick. Just like our best-selling Atari and Namco Classics, this fabulous little box of gaming nostalgia plugs directly into your TV via handy AV cables, and it’s so compact you can take it anywhere there’s a TV on hand.

Featured Games

Space Invaders
Originally launched by Taito in 1978, over 300,000 Space Invaders machines were built and used worldwide. So many people played the arcade game in Japan that it caused a national coin shortage. The Japanese mint had to treble production of the 100-yen piece because so many coins were used in the arcades.

Phoenix
The classic forward-scolling shoot-em-up..

Qix
Taito's first US-made hit. Described by some as a "cross between Star Wars and Etch-A-Sketch", the aim of the game is to enclose the open area, avoiding the drones...

Lunar Rescue
Guide the spaceship through the meteor storm to rescue the astronauts...

Colony 7
Save the colony by preventing the aliens attack wearing down its shield...

p884b.jpg

Featured games:

Ms Pac-man
This sequel to the Japanese hit was created by developers in the USA. The ghosts this time round are named Inky, Pinky, Blinky and Sue - the last one named after developer Doug Macrae's sister.

Pole Position
Put the pedal to the metal and prepare to qualify! This is a game of speed and agility! Are you ready to race to the finish?

Galaga
An alien invasion is underway and it is your duty to save your fighters! Can you make this "mission impossible" possible?

Xevious
There's bound to be danger when you enter enemy territory. It's your job to fight off enemy fighters!

Mappy
Cat-nappers are at it again and Mappy must gather up all the valuables before the burglers get to them.

p863b.jpg

p863ex4a.jpg

Featured Games include:
Standard Tetris
Rotate, move, drop. Repeat until your brain is fried.

Battle Tetris
Like the classic version of the game, except that every line you complete gets "given" to your oponent, and vice versa. Let the battle commence...

Garbage Tetris
Instead of starting with a clean screen, the Matrix is littered with orphaned blocks to get in your way...

Hotline Tetris
Lines are marked out on the Matrix at various heights - each a goal to earn you points, but the higher the goal, the higher the risk of "Topping Out".

swoon

oh shit. i'll be buying that tetris and ms. pacman - these are way more awesome than mame for the sheer fact you don't gotta build anything or sit at yer computer.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, 2-player Tetris, that's cool. What's the image quality like though? Or rather, the video connection to the TV?

Hm, Phoenix and Qix would be nice to have. I wonder what hardware these run on. I hope it's not generic 6502 hardware like previous all-in-one units. :( Faithful reproductions, please.

What's the image quality like though? Or rather, the video connection to the TV?

I have the Ms. Pac-Man one, and the image quality is pretty muddy and blurry. The joystick isn't that great, either. They look cool, but you're better off buying a version of Namco Museum and a joystick.

I wouldn't expect these to be any better than the previous sets. Qix is mighty tempting, even if I already have countless variants.

FnordChan

xQix.png

Qix is, indeed, mighty tempting. Damn, I'm going to have to dig up my 5200 tonight and wallow in the Qix loving. Of course, if they're going to make a dedicated machine full of arcade classics, there's only one logical choice:

mGals_Panic.jpg

zGals_Panic.png
wGals_Panic.png
xGals_Panic.png

FnordChan

swoon

i once stayed with a girl because her dad had a qix machine in his basement. true story.

wait is the tetris one out? how bad is the image?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
p863b.jpg

do you turn the pieces by rotating the red squares? That'd be pretty badass, as long as the directional input was not too sensitive.

aoi tsuki

Tetris is mighty tempting, but i'm sure these boxes uses composite, making it a no go for me.

A 16:9 Tetris would kickass, especially for 2p.

Top Bottom