• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moved to the UK from USA, what's a good VPN?

The Stig

Hi all,

I moved back to the UK from USA after 18 years a few weeks ago:

All is well (though DHL DESTROYED my PC shipping it, though I insured it and rebuild it part for part)

However there are some sites I can't access that I would like to access.

While I work in IT I've only ever used VPNs through companies I worked for. My current position doesn't supply that.

What's a good cheap VPN I can sign up for to make it look like I'm still in USA?

I did a quick thread search and didn't see anything. Apologies if there is a comprehensive thread that I missed.

Thanks in advance.

Dr.D00p

Windscribe is the one I use, by virtue of the fact I managed to snag a rolling 50GB a month of free data a few years ago.

It's been perfectly fine and I've not come across any horror stories about them.

Last edited:

The Stig

Windscribe is the one I use, by virtue of the fact I managed to snag a rolling 50GB a month of free data a few years ago.

It's been perfectly fine and I've not come across any horror stories about them.
wait, there's bandwidth cap like a cellphone plan? I've never heard of that before....

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Proton has a free vpn tier. Usually I wouldn't trust free VPN but they seem legit.

You can only use it on 1 device though and obviously don't have all the features the paid tier has. I've don't know what servers are free.

I pay for NordVPN. Used to have PIA.

Last edited:

Marlenus

I use express VPN but it's not cheap. It is fast though and has lots of end points all over the world. For me it is for F1 so that + F1TV pro is still cheaper than sky or now TV options.

Sunkrest

Neo Member
I recommend Mullvad. They don't have any weird sales or online advertisments, their price is acceptable. You can even buy prepaid cards from Amazon or pay for your account number by sending them a letter with money if you don't want to share your personal information. I never had any issues with their service.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I recommend Mullvad. They don't have any weird sales or online advertisments, their price is acceptable. You can even buy prepaid cards from Amazon or pay for your account number by sending them a letter with money if you don't want to share your personal information. I never had any issues with their service.
They were one of the first VPNs i ever looked into years ago. I've never seen them advertised but seems like they are really good. I recently switched to their DNS on my router. I was using Cloudflare which isn't bad but has no privacy features and some game downloads go at a crawl with them. I tried Adguard which is good but it constantly spams my router log when it blocks stuff. Over Adguard Mullvad doesn't have a limit on look ups and they have 0 logs where as Adguard does but they are anonymized. It's not a huge deal really but I thought I'd give Mullvad a try. Seems good so far.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I’ve used Nord for a few years now and it’s been solid. I live in a state that requires 18+ sites to check your ID to access them…that’s gonna be a no from me fam. Also P2P is completely anonymous, and speeds are great. I turn it on and off on my desktop when I need it and pretty much have it on all the time on my phone. I didn’t realize their annual fee went up so much when it just renewed though.

near

Gold Member
Proton has a free vpn tier. Usually I wouldn't trust free VPN but they seem legit.

You can only use it on 1 device though and obviously don't have all the features the paid tier has. I've don't know what servers are free.

I pay for NordVPN. Used to have PIA.

I use Proton Mail and pay for the €12.99 unlimited subscription and it includes Proton VPN. Proton VPN is really good and works pretty much with all streaming services I've used it on, comes with 112 countries to choose from and a lot of servers for each. I wouldn't bother with the free version, you end up with crappy servers. You can get a standalone Proton VPN subscription for €4.49 a month on a 2-year plan, otherwise it's a €9.99 monthly subscription. A bit pricey, but you a quality VPN and no issues.

Tams

Mullvad are the best for privacy. No special offer nonsense either.

Proton are also good for privacy and have a suite of services. Referrals etc. only offer you a little more cloud storage, etc. and discounts are only for paying for longer upfront. Therefore there's less shilling of it.

I wouldn't trust any of the rest.

If you're wanting to set sail... well, all I can suggest is looking into Stremio.

Edit: Oops, I forgot IVPN as has now been mentioned.

Last edited:

dsp

NordVPN.

Not only does it not log, but you can pick up 2 years for cheap.

Everything is logged. If you're searching for privacy, you'll never find it on the modern internet. So just go with whatever is cheapest, including NordVPN if that's the one.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Currently use PIA, but might switch to Mullvad once my sub is up.
PIA has RAM only servers and has cour-proven no-logs policy, plus it's a bit more affordable.
Also PIA gives you a 30 day trial to see if everything works for you, and they also have browser extensions if you just need it for visiting sites, etc.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
VPN? Don't need that shit here bruv. Just hoodie and mask, innit

LZ5yrNG.jpeg

cjp

IVPN.

Used them for years, best around. They don’t engage in some of the shady shit peddled by bigger providers, are organisation members of the EFF and Open Rights group, among others. They even publish a warrant canary.

Last edited:

notseqi

ProtonVPN. Afaik they still dont log IPs, have fast connections and on the 10$ plan I have up to ten connections which is nice for my Laptop, phone and Home PC.
The app works great for me on Android, Debian and W10. Using it on phone it seems to have a stay-alive-service keeping me online on IRC for longer than it would using a live/direct connection.

edit: i pay 10$ a month on a monthly basis so i can jump should there be any shenanigans, if you just want to watch stuff in the UK you're probably safe. longer termed plans are way cheaper.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Another vote for Proton, it's what I use personally

chakadave

Neo Member
How come it is ok to discuss that but not piracy?
Pretty similar no?
You like to share your browser use with your ISP?

VPN is full proof and doesn't do what most people think but it is still a good tool and practice to offer some level of protection from bad actors.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You abandon America, you also abandon her content. You should live with your horrible decision and be forced to watch only Uk content.

The Stig

You abandon America, you also abandon her content. You should live with your horrible decision and be forced to watch only Uk content.
I will have to file taxes to the IRS for the rest of my life despite not living there or most likely never earning another dime there ever again.

I literally CANNOT abandon America. so STFU.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I will have to file taxes to the IRS for the rest of my life despite not living there or most likely never earning another dime there ever again.

I literally CANNOT abandon America. so STFU.
How does that work? Were you born in USA?

Is it only for American born citizens? What happens if you move to USA and become a citizen... would you still need to pay tax if you moved away or would you have to give up your citizenship?

If you work in the UK do you need to pay tax to both the UK and USA or do you just pay tax to HMRC and they send some to USA?

The Stig

How does that work? Were you born in USA?

Is it only for American born citizens? What happens if you move to USA and become a citizen... would you still need to pay tax if you moved away or would you have to give up your citizenship?

If you work in the UK do you need to pay tax to both the UK and USA or do you just pay tax to HMRC and they send some to USA?
I am a naturalized citizen. Lived there for 18 years.

It's illegal to renounce your citizenship to avoid filing taxes.

It's not really a big deal, as long as I''m not earning anything in USA I shouldn't owe anything. I just have to file.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I am a naturalized citizen. Lived there for 18 years.

It's illegal to renounce your citizenship to avoid filing taxes.

It's not really a big deal, as long as I''m not earning anything in USA I shouldn't owe anything. I just have to file.
ahh ok that makes more sense lol. i thought they taxed you on earnings no matter where you lived.

I couldn't be bothered with doing taxes though. I could never be self employed or run a business unless I could pay someone to do taxes for me.

Top Bottom