• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mozart piece discovered

Mistake

LHBrZ8C.jpeg

The piece dates to the mid to late 1760s and consists of seven miniature movements for a string trio lasting about 12 minutes, the Leipzig municipal libraries said in a statement on Thursday
The newly discovered manuscript was not written by Mozart himself but is believed to be a copy made in about 1780, the researchers said.
The piece is referred to as Ganz kleine Nachtmusik in the catalogue, according to the Leipzig libraries.
Pretty big news. I'm surprised I didn't hear about this earlier. It seems a lot of discoveries recently are right under our noses, so I'm sure we'll hear more of this kind of stuff as we digitize more material

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Boomers gonna be happy I guess but whatever your time has passed bateoven make room for the new generation with some real music we got kendick Lamar, lil nas x, calvin Harris’ laptop and all the other good stuff
Doubt zane low will do an apple one interview with this judges wig wearing loser x

Ownage

Boomers gonna be happy I guess but whatever your time has passed bateoven make room for the new generation with some real music we got kendick Lamar, lil nas x, calvin Harris’ laptop and all the other good stuff
Doubt zane low will do an apple one interview with this judges wig wearing loser x
Don't forget Joey Bada$$ and A$AP Yams.

Yams.

Cyberpunkd

It’s good that it was discovered now. In 5-10 years, you couldn’t tell whether or not it was produced by an AI.
If you are a passionate of classical music - that will never happen. A machine will never make a piece a human will - all the mood and playing will be lost. I like to think of this as Chinese kids vs. the world - they can play a piece titled “Old cathedral” perfectly, but their music has no soul, they don’t understand the concept of an old cathedral. AI will be exactly like Chinese kids - note perfect, yet incredibly flawed when it comes to expression.

E-Cat

If you are a passionate of classical music - that will never happen. A machine will never make a piece a human will - all the mood and playing will be lost. I like to think of this as Chinese kids vs. the world - they can play a piece titled “Old cathedral” perfectly, but their music has no soul, they don’t understand the concept of an old cathedral. AI will be exactly like Chinese kids - note perfect, yet incredibly flawed when it comes to expression.
I think about this often, it’s definitely a part of a larger philosophical discussion.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It’s good that it was discovered now. In 5-10 years, you couldn’t tell whether or not it was produced by an AI.

Music researchers generally scour physical archives with century old documents, not Youtube Shorts.

kevboard

I wasn’t speaking from a perspective of its authenticity couldn’t be ascertained.

I am pretty sure we can already write notes on a piece of paper without AI.
so not sure how it would any different with or without AI.

even classical music experts and composers can not 100% distinguish modern compositions from authentic classical music.

so any composer out there who's good enough could compose a fake Mozart piece. then the rest would be about convincingly fake the actual historical artefacts. you could maybe get a hold of old, period accurate pieces of paper and ink, and then fake these too.

neither of these things would be made easier by AI. the latter one might be near impossible to forge actually as even with all that effort you could probably find out when the notes were actually written

Last edited:

E-Cat

I am pretty sure we can already write notes on a piece of paper without AI.
so not sure how it would any different with or without AI.

even classical music experts and composers can not 100% distinguish modern compositions from authentic classical music.

so any composer out there who's good enough could compose a fake Mozart piece. then the rest would be about convincingly fake the actual historical artefacts. you could maybe get a hold of old, period accurate pieces of paper and ink, and then fake these too.

neither of these things would be made easier by AI. the latter one might be near impossible to forge actually as even with all that effort you could probably find out when the notes were actually written

No composer alive is good enough to compose a fake Mozart piece, imo.

Obviously, they can write in the style of Mozart or Haydn, but that’s not the same thing.

Technical brilliance aside, there’s no accounting for taste (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

kevboard

No composer alive is good enough to compose a fake Mozart piece, imo.

Obviously, they can write in the style of Mozart or Haydn, but that’s not the same thing.

Technical brilliance aside, there’s no accounting for taste (or lack thereof).

I don't think all of his pieces are on a level that can't be faked. the first movement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik for example is iconic, but... come on... there are people that could emulate that style convincingly.
finding new unreleased music can also point towards it being scrapped by him, because he thought it wasn't good enough to actually go public with.

E-Cat

I don't think all of his pieces are on a level that can't be faked. the first movement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik for example is iconic, but... come on... there are people that could emulate that style convincingly.
finding new unreleased music can also point towards it being scrapped by him, because he thought it wasn't good enough to actually go public with.
It’s possible to get close, I agree. The non-musical population probably can’t tell Mozart and early Beethoven apart. For differentiating between some Mozart and Haydn takes a keen ear. I’m not saying everyone can do it.

Or take Prokofiev’s Symphony No. 1, it has most of the hallmarks of Viennese classical, but is written in an ironic style.

Top Bottom