• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Driller - Drill Spirits

olimario

Banned
Drill Spirits
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041118/mdds.htm

mdds01.jpg
mdds02.jpg
mdds03.jpg
mdds04.jpg
mdds05.jpg
mdds06.jpg
mdds07.jpg
mdds08.jpg
mdds09.jpg
mdds10.jpg

mdds11.jpg
mdds12.jpg
mdds13.jpg
mdds14.jpg
mdds15.jpg
mdds16.jpg
mdds17.jpg
mdds18.jpg
mdds19.jpg
mdds20.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
how does this compare to the suposedly awesome Gamecube version?

Ranger X

Two screens it's indeed revolutionary!!

Ok well, i love Mister Driller and this game must be very nice!! when is the DS player coming out Nintendo? ;)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
to be fair, the only actual thing they commented on was the music in the videos... they haven't played the game nor do they know what modes it actually comes with.

not doubting their driller mastery, but it didn't sound like either had played the game yet and were just speculating. I could be wrong though.

I've never played Mr. Driller. How does it play? Like Tetris in any way? Like Dig Dug? Like any other puzzle games or anything? My fiancee may like this game, because she likes puzzle games a lot..

BuddyC

olimario said:
Why wouldn't Namco do a port job of the GC version and implement DS features?
That's a great question, one I don't have a good answer to.

From all the media released thus far, it looks like Drill Spirits has three modes apart from the multiplayer: World Attack (or Regular), Outrun the Giant Drill Machine and Time Attack.

Drill Land, on the other hand, has six modes. And while Drill Land's mini-games expanded upon the Mr. Driller formula and changed up the gameplay strategies (Druaga, Horror Night House, Drindy Adventure), it's looking like the games in Drill Spirits will play the same thing, for the most part (the main difference being that Time Attack doesn't use air, but time as "health"). That's not neccesarily a bad thing, but it is disappoiting for those who were hoping on something of the same level as Drill Land.

To be fair, I still haven't played Drill Spirits, so I could very well be wrong, but why would Namco hide the presence of any additional modes when they're trying to promote the game? Regardless, I'll be picking it up, I just can't help myself. And if someone could please direct me how to acquire a (reasonably priced) Mr. Driller DS bag, well, it would be greatly appreciated.

borghe said:
to be fair, the only actual thing they commented on was the music in the videos... they haven't played the game nor do they know what modes it actually comes with.

not doubting their driller mastery, but it didn't sound like either had played the game yet and were just speculating. I could be wrong though.

You're totally right, we were both speculating and are actually both still very excited about the game. I, for one, will be all over it the day it comes out..

The thing is, Drill Land (the Gamecube version) took the core drill-to-the-bottom game mechanic that can be found in every Driller game and developed it into several completely separate and unique games-within-the-game, all of which were fantastic. This might not be the best analogy, but look at FPS games like Unreal Tournament or, say, Halo 2. Their multiplayer modes are all based around the same general idea, which is to run around and shoot each other with guns. Since the whole deathmatch thing has gotten a bit old, they've taken that idea and applied it to all kinds of different unique game styles with their own rulesets and strategies: capture the flag, onslaught, assault, etc. Drill Land is similar - imagine 5 different games based around the core gameplay of Mr Driller, but with drastically different rule sets. It also had an ending boss battle that was really similar to the "pressure" mode in Drill Spirits, a little interactive parade you could watch, little shops to visit to buy power-ups and other collectables, and various other fun stuff to play with.

Using the FPS analogy, Drill Spirits (from the look of things, anyway - I can't see why they would hide other awesome modes from us) is to Drill Land what a deathmatch-only UT2005 would be to the feature-rich UT2004. It'd probably still be fun, but it would seem like a big step backwards for the series. My main worry is that people will play Drill Spirits due to its ease of accessability, will see it as a sort of simplistic one-trick pony of a puzzle game, and will then declare that Mr Driller is crap and that we're a bunch of fools for hyping up Drill Land like mad. Despite the fact that they'd be missing 90% of what makes Drill Land such a fantastic game.

Also, about the music, I'm sure it'll be really awesome stuff even if it can't compete on a technical level. It's just pretty disappointing when you've heard the original versions of those particular songs. I wish they would just compose new stuff that specifically takes advantage of the DS sound, rather than take on the impossible task of porting over the insanely awesome Drill Land tunes. In case any of you are curious, I have an mp3 up of the original song from the second video here.

No Drillstone mode? If not then no purchase for me. I don't really want a DS, but this and Advance Wars have got me on the fence. I am so totally in love with my NES SP which looks far sexier than a DS. Driller Strange Pacteria is such a totally awesome game it looks like it will continue to take care of my handheld Drilling needs. If I do get a DS I'll probably wait until PSP releases here in March. DS will be about 50 bucks after that right? :p

I am going to the midnight launch event in LA, even tho I have no preorder. Hopefully it will be available to play.

I must get one of those Driller bags tho. Whatever the cost is, one will be mine.

Bigglesworth, its awesome for a puzzle game. If your fiance is into puzzle games I'd be pretty certain she would any Driller game lots! Besides, no girl can resist the cuteness that is Puchi, Susumu and Taizou. Trust me. I can harldy contain myself when I play!

Top Bottom