• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS may unveil Xbox 2 in September

Deg

Banned
Sony's plans to uncrate the PlayStation 3 at next year's E3 may have inspired Microsoft to bring the next iteration of the Xbox to market earlier than it had originally planned. Some industry observers speculate that the company will officially unveil the console at the X04 trade show in September. "To date," reports Eurogamer, "Microsoft has consistently refused to comment on any talk of Xbox 2, despite issuing numerous game developers with development kits, but with both Nintendo and Sony having made up their minds to use E3 2005 as an initial launch platform, Microsoft will be mindful that it needs an event of its own that can generate as much attention without getting lost in the next-gen crowd."

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/9144305.htm

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
muwhahah, MS is playing into sony's plan perfectly </mr. evil>

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
ravingloon said:
What company in their right mind would demo a replacement product heading into the major sales season?

This a trick question? hehe

Deg

Banned
It may be because Sony announced they are going for e3 next year. The next xbox would be a huge announcment regardless. They probably want people to know its coming by surprising them. Maybe just some tech demos at first and maybe the kit next year?

Suikoguy said:
This a trick question? hehe

While I like few major companies in this world (MS included), I don't put MS in the idiotic department. They've already had MS suits talk about how they're not torpeding 04 Christmas with replacement talk, but watch out for E3 05 when widescreen HDTVs are everywhere *Hint*Hint* Mr. Journalist/Analayst who wrote this crap.

Deg

Banned
ravingloon said:
While I like few major companies in this world (MS included), I don't put MS in the idiotic department. They've already had MS suits talk about how they're not torpeding 04 Christmas with replacement talk, but watch out for E3 05 when widescreen HDTVs are everywhere *Hint*Hint* Mr. Journalist/Analayst who wrote this crap.

e3 05 would be quite late however.

mr2mike

Banned
/me is sceptical

They want to launch before PS3, And looking at the other PS3 threads, a simultaneous US launch for XB2 as PS3 launches in JP sounds likely, wich gives it a few months head start here without the "cutting edge"/price disadvantage.

What they DONT want to do is show hardware before sony does, Because Sony are the ones to be caught, not the other way around, and MS can`t really afford to lock down their spec by announcing before sony.

Sure, if everyone announces at e3 it`s not a lot o time to react, but it`s an timing window that at least allows one to have contingency plans. If you announce months in advance you basially block any escape route you could have had.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Other than the rare announcement, which was special as it was a european deal, the X events have been pretty non-eventful, some new stuff, mainly only from European developers, everyone expected some big thing last year and it was just a Halo 2 documentary with about 12 seconds of new footage. I doubt very much, given Microsofts focus in the past, that they would choose X04 to unviel Xbox2.

Deg

Banned
mr2mike said:
/me is sceptical

They want to launch before PS3, And looking at the other PS3 threads, a simultaneous US launch for XB2 as PS3 launches in JP sounds likely, wich gives it a few months head start here without the "cutting edge"/price disadvantage.

What they DONT want to do is show hardware before sony does, Because Sony are the ones to be caught, not the other way around, and MS can`t really afford to lock down their spec by announcing before sony.

Sure, if everyone announces at e3 it`s not a lot o time to react, but it`s an timing window that at least allows one to have contingency plans. If you announce months in advance you basially block any escape route you could have had.

There are always changes anyway. But i thought MS were furtherer than Sony and wanted to launch earlier.

Rhindle

They have specifically said -- repeatedly -- that there will be no discussion/announcements/anything about Xbox 2 in 2004 so as not to impact current sales.

Why even speculate about something that has been categorically ruled out.

Suikoguy

Rhindle said:
They have specifically said -- repeatedly -- that there will be no discussion/announcements/anything about Xbox 2 in 2004 so as not to impact current sales.

Why even speculate about something that has been categorically ruled out.

That means absolutly nothing

Rhindle

krypt0nian said:
Showing their cards early as a reaction to PS3 talk is as if they are admitting that they are fucked in the face of SONY.
Actually, it's Sony that's reacting to Microsoft's timeline lately.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
actually it's all major companies every year spending millions of dollars analyzing and preparing to react to each others actions despite whatever PR hyperbole is tossed around.

Chittagong

Gold Member
PLEASE MAKE IT
stop.JPG

ravingloon said:
What company in their right mind would demo a replacement product heading into the major sales season?
If it's actually to be a 2005-released system, it wouldn't be a huge shocker. GameCube was first shown off in late August of the year prior to its release. PS2... well, it was March, but there was still a "major sales season" (and another half year, depending on your location) before its release.

True. But other than the couple Rare games and Paper Mario, Nintendo had also abandoned the N64 (along with 3rd parties). They had something to gain by getting customers excited. MS has had pretty much their entire worthwhile line-up delayed and don't need to be killing excitement by alerting the casuals that this is the last Christmas before Xenon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nintendo's already said that they are going to show their hand at E3 next year. They go by their own schedule.

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
microsoft will most likely announce Xbox 2 at CES 2005 which takes place early january.

This would make the most sense. It would be plenty early to preempt Nintendo and Sony, if that is what Microsoft wants to do, while not being a big distraction to Q4 sales. It's not a gaming show, but it's good enough - XBox was announced at CES, afterall.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
This would make the most sense. It would be plenty early to preempt Nintendo and Sony, if that is what Microsoft wants to do, while not being a big distraction to Q4 sales. It's not a gaming show, but it's good enough - XBox was announced at CES, afterall.

Actually it was announced at GDC in March 2000, then in what.... December 2000 or January 2001 they demoed Malice and Oddworld and showed off the Xbox casing. Plus, The Rock promised he would take out J Allard :(

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
Actually it was announced at GDC in March 2000, then in what.... December 2000 or January 2001 they demoed Malice and Oddworld and showed off the Xbox casing. Plus, The Rock promised he would take out J Allard :(

Ah, you're right. Still, it was the final specs and hard product announced at CES. If they are going for a 2005 launch, it still makes sense.

Of course, I think they should do 2006, assuming that's what Sony and Nintendo do.

SA-X

NOT gonna happen. End of story. MS isn't dumb enough to spoil the best fall performance the Xbox will ever have.

Top Bottom