• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music gaf recommend me some good tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to really get into anything new anymore, sure I can recognize "good" music but I'll be damned if I can find something that enters into my regular rotation for more than a month or so. Lately I've been digging this album "More Constant Than the Gods" by the band Sub Rosa, it's a doom metal album with female vocals (one of the few I've been able to enjoy in metal) with some great uses of electric violin sparsed throughout.

I'm also checking out Shabazz Palaces' new album "Lese Majesty" on Spotify right now, it's hip hop with some chilled out electronic soundscapes. From what I'm hearing it's pretty good so far.

So as a reference here's some of what I'm into in no particular order:

Tool
At the Drive In/Mars Volta
Mike Patton projects (Mr Bungle, Peeping Tom)
Del
Gorillaz
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Dillinger Escape Plan
Tricky
Mastodon
King Crimson
DJ Shadow/U.N.K.L.E.
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Melvins
Blackalicious
Massive Attack
Beastie Boys
Flying Lotus

As you can see not too many new artists, hoping some fellow music nerds can give me some good recommendations somewhat in line with what I've posted. Bring my ass up to speed with the 21st century!

Ravek

Banned
Butcher Babies - "Mr. Slowdeath"
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE - "Karate Nipples"
Devil You Know - "Shut It Down"

Tesseract - Of Matter - Retrospect

Red Seas Fire - The Gold Room

Woods of Ypres - Lightning and Snow

I'm just providing recommendations based off the more heavier/metal choices that you mentioned.

Based on your list - rhythmically complex, atmospheric, instrumental prowess, high production values, getting high:

Metal:

Devin Townsend
Meshuggah
Tesseract
Animals As Leaders

Electronica - Ambient - Downtempo:

Carbon Based Lifeforms
Bluetech
Tycho
Boards of Canada
Infected Mushroom
Lusine
BT
Hybrid
Bonobo
Emancipator
Shpongle

Prog:

Porcupine Tree
Ozric Tentacles
Coheed & Cambria
Liquid Tension Experiment
Bozzio, Levin, Stevens
O.S.I.
Spock's Beard

Rock:

Minus The Bear

Baroness is pretty similar to Mastodon, but is creative enough where they don't feel like a knockoff at all: War, Wisdom, and Rhyme off "The Blue Record." (warning: mildly NSFW cover I guess).

Behemoth has been around for a while, but their new, 2014 album has some great music on it: Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer

And Opeth isn't new, but they're a progressive death metal band that blends death metal with soft and prog stuff and they're my favorite band ever so I have to give a suggestion. Bleak.

James Blake
Madvillain (almost any MF Doom really, but Madvillainy is his best)
Jamie XX
Burial
TV on the Radio
The Walkmen
The National
Portishead

waypoetic

Banned
I see you listing Dillinger, OP.

1366178093417.png

Dillinger, eh? Fuck the 21st Century, how about some Botch?

C Thomas Howell as the "Soul Man"

Saint Matthew Returns to the Womb

Hell yeah, never got into them as much as Dillinger, but I dig them for sure. My buddy got to see their last show in Seattle. Also watching the guitarist for Botch do his two-handed tapping live in Minus the Bear is some mesmerizing shit.

Baroness is pretty similar to Mastodon, but is creative enough where they don't feel like a knockoff at all: War, Wisdom, and Rhyme off "The Blue Record." (warning: mildly NSFW cover I guess).

Behemoth has been around for a while, but their new, 2014 album has some great music on it: Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer

And Opeth isn't new, but they're a progressive death metal band that blends death metal with soft and prog stuff and they're my favorite band ever so I have to give a suggestion. Bleak.

Nice avatar ;)

Baroness is pretty sweet but for some reason I just couldn't get into their latest release (Yellow/Green album?). And Behemoth is awesome.

I see you listing Dillinger, OP.

Pounded.

Since a lot of your list is also in my music libary, here are some of my current favourite bands.

Archive
Baroness
Kylesa
Truckfighters

Kylesa is the shit. Saw them live at the Funhouse in Seattle before it closed down. Great show.

He's neoclassical but Johann Johannsson is my favorite contemporary composer alongside Autechre and Kate Bush. If you're used to Autechre's more difficult work then it's easy to have the concentration to follow his slowly building stuff. It's kind of cheesy to say but I think Johann Johannsson's primary medium is 'feeling' rather than music because it's just so effective at evoking feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom