• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music nerds are weird...

JBat

And I'm extremely jealous. Ran across this YouTube video and made me realize I wish I was like this. There's the argument that music is just math and timing and scales but this guy breaking down two video game songs that I really like and explaining the connection that I feel. It puts it into perspective that my brain does not work this way. I'm good at math and halfway understand the chord progressions and octaves but I will never be able to come up with something that feels like this even if I could play an instrument

Last edited:

Soodanim

And I'm extremely jealous. Ran across this YouTube video and made me realize I wish I was like this. There's the argument that music is just math and timing and scales but this guy breaking down two video game songs that I really like and explaining the connection that I feel. It puts it into perspective that my brain does not work this way. I'm good at math and halfway understand the chord progressions and octaves but I will never be able to come up with something that feels like this even if I could play an instrument

That's the second video I've seen from him, and I find it interesting for someone to analyse music I know but from a perspective completely alien to me. Good stuff, I'll have to watch more.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Do you train (or even tried) for longer period of time to make music? Because otherwise those are just baseless claims. Music production is heavily influenced how much energy and time you invest into it

JBat

Do you train (or even tried) for longer period of time to make music? Because otherwise those are just baseless claims. Music production is heavily influenced how much energy and time you invest into it
I've attempted to learn to play the guitar, admittedly haven't stuck to it for very long, and I think given long enough I could train my fingers to make the right sounds but it feels like saying words in a foreign language without know what they mean. People that understand music and composition impress me so much

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've attempted to learn to play the guitar, admittedly haven't stuck to it for very long, and I think given long enough I could train my fingers to make the right sounds but it feels like saying words in a foreign language without know what they mean. People that understand music and composition impress me so much
I just think that playing an instrument is just a plus, for music production other stuff is important, especially now with DAWs and Virtual Instruments, one can buy some midi keyboard and start creating. Obviously play an instrument is great too, but not required. If you kno composition (or learn it through try and error)...

Trilobit

I have as much interest watching these kinds of videos as watching someone explain the colour grading in movies with DaVinci Resolve. Which is pretty much zero.

I enjoy the end product and the emotions they bring me, if professionals want to hyperfocus on details and make them about math then that's cool, but I'd rather watch paint dry.

I had a colleague who wanted to start writing a book so as he did courses in that subject he started talking about movies/books with the view of how the writer chose a certain story technique in a certain progression. My viewpoint is that you'll ruin the experience the creator was trying to convey by tearing apart the bits too much and not enjoying the product as a whole.

Last edited:

JBat

His Transformers theme video is incredible to me:

Lol that was nuts. After he pointed the stuttering out that's all I could hear. Almost sounded like an awkward mixing that missed the timing of a loop. Just wonder what the conversation during recording that was like

These videos are really fun too. Good drummers are a different breed

Top Bottom