• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my ear wont un pop :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSN2K

I have flu and my right ear "popped" while I was blowing my nose and now it wont un pop, its been like this for hours.... :(

anyone got any ideas ?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DayQuil gel caps or even better Sudafed 12 Hour are the only things that fix up my sinuses.

Temporarally though try to emulate a yawn, thats the best way to un-pop.

way more

Your eustachian tubes have filled with mucus, or puss. I don't know which dammit, I'm not a doctor. Take some cold medicine.

jenov4

I hate that feeling, I would take some sudafed. Or let your natural immune system do it's magic and give yourself a few days to heal.

The relief you get when your hearing comes back is really something that you should cherish.

Chrono

Banned
Get one of those ear drops that clean the ear and put in 4-5 drops.. get in the shower and clean the same ear with water while shaking your head/ear.. It worked several times for me.

andthebeatgoeson

Besides hold your nose and blow, try:
Wiggle your jaw back and forth.
Swallow a few times.

If those don't work, try them after taking a decongestant.

Now give me $90.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
catfish said:
hold your nose and blow?

not a recommended thing to do. If anything DSN, your eustachian tubes or whatever they're called are blocked (sort of passed on the illness to your ears).

Use sudafed decongestion for a week or something and it will go away :D hehe

DSN2K

sudafed_nasal_spray_2.jpg

this stuff ?

Dice

I use the sudafed 12-hour pills, never used the snort stuff cause the idea freaks me out.

Actually ti seems like my sinuses are acting up right now, must be that time of year.

andthebeatgoeson

Matlock said:
Remember folks, Skinnyrattler is not a real doctor. Do not remove your pants for him at any time.
He speaks from experience.

I still have that shit stained glove. Do you want it?

Yeah, that sudafed should work. And stop having gay sex, it'll block you up. Ask Matcock.

*runs*
*trips*

etiolate

Banned
One time, my family went to Yosemite National Park and my ears popped on the drive up the mountains. I got one to unpop eventually but the other didn't. It actually stayed that way for 24 hours and I couldn't sleep, because it was painful and disorientating. My mother took me to the Yosemite Medical staff and they had to drain my ears. It seems I had way too much earwax and when they drained my ear it filled the little kidney bean shaped tray full of the green goo.

My mom said "Oh I bet all the ear wax is because he's in puberty!" and for some reason I was entirely shamed and embaressed for the rest of the trip.

AniHawk

DSN2K said:
could I just flush my ear with water then ? or would that make this thing worse.. :(

Well if you don't know what you're doing, it could make things worse. I couldn't hear out of my right ear for about 4 weeks until I finally got the chance to see a doctor about it. They tell you to wash them out with warm water, and don't use Q-tips (only compact the wax). Unfortunately, there really is no tool for washing the wax out, unless you ask your doctor for one.

etiolate

Banned
Warm water will help loosen stuff up if its a case of too much earwax. They also sell stuff for that.

Let me just say stuff one more time...stuff.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
if it's because of your eustachian tubes (which connects your ears to your nose) is blocked.. putting in your water won't help. try once or twice and if that doesn't work, then you most likely are dealing with clogged up tubes or possibly a busted ear drum (though i doubt if you aren't feeling pain :p)

it took me up to 2 weeks to regain my hearing (it was both ears for me :|)

As long as we're going with the medical questions to those not qualified to answer. My nose keeps getting really dry and stuffy all the time. Now I suspect it could be Lepracy or possibly the Bubonic Plague, but I'd like a second opinion.

Dice

ManDudeChild said:
As long as we're going with the medical questions to those not qualified to answer. My nose keeps getting really dry and stuffy all the time. Now I suspect it could be Lepracy or possibly the Bubonic Plague, but I'd like a second opinion.
Do you get plenty of liquids? What type of liquids?

callous

ManDudeChild said:

Certainly sounds like Bubonic Plague to me. Sorry, dude :(

SFA_AOK

Yawning works for me sometimes though if it's because your ill, you may just have to deal with until you are better.

Jacobi

Banned
Go to the doctor's. I had that too. He'll wash it out of your ear. It's a big horrible thing, made of ear dirt...go to the

hours? hours?

BOTH OF MY EARS WERE PLUGGED FOR OVER 3 FUCKING WEEKS STRAIGHT LAST MONTH

and you're fucking whining about HOURS?

I will SLAP YOU IN THE TEETH

(ps, you most likely got what happened to me- water blockage.. nothing you can do but wait it out. doctor's say chewing helps, so chew a lot of gum, but I actually found what eventually fixed it for me was, no joke, yawning. a lot. while you yawn, "flex" the inside of your ears so you hear that... rumble sound (what the force sounds like in the star wars movies). works much better than chewing)

But seriously, hours? Post a thread in 3 weeks if you're still fucked and we can start a club.

Big deal, Mike. I had to get tubes installed in my ear so wax could actually pass through. Only for a few years though. They are gone now and my ears are behaving normal.

Anyone else like picking out earwax and looking at it? It amazes me.

God's Hand said:
Big deal, Mike. I had to get tubes installed in my ear so wax could actually pass through. Only for a few years though. They are gone now and my ears are behaving normal.
I had to get tubes installed too.

FIVE TIMES OVER THE SPAN OF SIX YEARS

Seriously, unless any of you are legally deaf, don't fucking try to step up to the fucked up ears plate here.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got tubes installed twice. The second time, they didn't take them out for like, 6 years, so it left a little hole in my ear drum. That eardrum proceeded to rupture. Three times. I love my ears.

Most recently, I had excrutiating pain in that ear, along with extremely thick, dark brown (almost black) pussy-wax draining out of it, and headed to the doctor. He started cleaning it out with the waxvac. So, he gets almost all of it out and gets to my drum, and he's like "oh, huh!" Apparently, there was some sort of "granular tissue," basically, MY EARDRUM WAS TRYING TO EAT A HOLE THROUGH ITSELF. So, he was cleaning the wax off of that (which is one of the most excrutiating pains I've ever experienced), and then I had to start injecting an ointment, about the consistancy of petrolium jelly, directly into my ear canal. I may not have had it as bad as you, Mr. Works, but I'm probably quite close.

Deg

Banned
DopeyFish said:
if it's because of your eustachian tubes (which connects your ears to your nose) is blocked.. putting in your water won't help. try once or twice and if that doesn't work, then you most likely are dealing with clogged up tubes or possibly a busted ear drum (though i doubt if you aren't feeling pain :p)

it took me up to 2 weeks to regain my hearing (it was both ears for me :|)

DopeyFish said:
not a recommended thing to do. If anything DSN, your eustachian tubes or whatever they're called are blocked (sort of passed on the illness to your ears).

Use sudafed decongestion for a week or something and it will go away :D hehe

I think thats what i got or maybe not as my hearing is pretty much like normal although my doctore mentioned throat instead of nose and it started when i had a flu from winter last year. My ears have been aching for over 6 months now and its not going away. I 've seen the doctor 5 times in that time. I keep getting told my tubes are blocked and are pushing my eardrum outwards and that it will go away... except it hasnt for over 6 months now.

I was recommended blowing hard , closing your nose and all sorts of stuff. I was given medicine but i think the doc did that to get rid of me as it only said something about affecting bloodpressure and thats it. Anyways i need help here because i saw the doctor last week and nothing came of it other than the usual cold shoulder. I feel like i am half ill all the time and with my ears aching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom