• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First PC Graphics Card

KiraXD

So as a long time console gamer with decent PCs over the years, ive never REALLY got into PC gaming due to lack of good graphics cards.

Even with my current PC (2 years old i think), ive only really used the integrated graphics for everything, graphic design... mainly i use dual monitor outs for watching video on two different TVs in the room. (so i can still use the computer when the wife watches TV lol)

Thats all changed!

So for my first ever entry into PC graphics cards... (and my small budget) I just ordered one of these... for 100$ it seemed pretty decent for the price.

Sapphire Radeon R7 260x 2GB GDDR5 OC
11222-06_R7_260X_2GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_DVI_PCIE_FBC_635200446742435233_600_600.jpg

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1226&pid=2071&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Anyone with this card like it/love it/hate it? what do you all think?

What was your First Graphics Card upgrade?

my first card was a 3DFX Voodoo 3, PCI, 12 mb I think. Absolute loved it, as it made jedi knight, half life, and some other misc games I had back then look so much better.

I think I still have the actual card in my closet somewhere, as a momento.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think my first dedicated GPU was a TNT2.

Lovin' that little guy in the OP. I got a Radeon 9800xt in 2003 (like, the titan of it's day. it had 256gigs of memory) and it was so laughably whimpy looking compared to top of the line cards from today.

Nabs

RIVA TNT2 was the first one I could remember that could actually play stuff well.

edit: Hahaha. Guess I'm not alone.

Magwik

Banned
GT 610. Not good at all and still using it due to being on a budget. But when I build a new desktop I am eying a 760ti.

Yep, TNT2. This was the first dedicated card I had. It went into a Compaq Presario with an AMD K6-2 450MHz processor. It had 64MB of RAM, eventually upgraded to a whopping 196MB.

Mgcougarbig.jpg

Sentenza

Memories are a bit confused at this point and I can't even be completely sure I'm putting these in the correct order, but I *think* my first GPUs were a 3DFX, a Matrox G400 and a Geforce 2.

The Llama

The first I remember (I just used the family computer before that since I was so young) was a GeForce 4 MX440. Then I got a 7600GT.

My favorite graphics card will always be the 3870x2 I drunkenly bought off Newegg because I thought I was buying a 4870x2 and getting an insanely good deal (it was still a good deal for a 3870x2, at least).

Geforce 2.

The feeling you get when all your favourite games suddenly play that much better. It is a feeling that has cost me quite a lot of money over the years lol.

Nonentity

My graphics cards up until I got my first 3D accelerator were mostly I believe just generic Matrox cards, my first card was either a Riva TNT or a Riva 128, I forget which.

Luigison

While I've had graphics cards out of necessity previously (motherboards didn't have video out back then), my first graphics card purchase for gaming was a 9800 GT. I now have a 550 Ti that needs upgrading, but a car was priority. Maybe next year.

pulsemyne

I think mine was an s3 virge and then I went to a voodoo Banshee and then I was given a voodoo 1. Still remember downloading the Quake 3 demo on dial up and being gobsmacked.

Bigfroth

So as a long time console gamer with decent PCs over the years, ive never REALLY got into PC gaming due to lack of good graphics cards.

Even with my current PC (2 years old i think), ive only really used the integrated graphics for everything, graphic design... mainly i use dual monitor outs for watching video on two different TVs in the room. (so i can still use the computer when the wife watches TV lol)

Thats all changed!

So for my first ever entry into PC graphics cards... (and my small budget) I just ordered one of these... for 100$ it seemed pretty decent for the price.

Sapphire Radeon R7 260x 2GB GDDR5 OC
11222-06_R7_260X_2GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_DVI_PCIE_FBC_635200446742435233_600_600.jpg

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1226&pid=2071&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Anyone with this card like it/love it/hate it? what do you all think?

What was your First Graphics Card upgrade?
3Dfx Voodoo 2 8MB for my Pentium 100MHZ those were the glory days!!!

stitch512

Banned
Geforce 4 MX440 64mb graphics card. Loved it at the time as I was running CS 1.5 at like ~20fps at best with my old IBM pc. Made a custom build (i was only 15 at the time) and never looked back. Now rocking a R9 290x, first time every owning a flagship graphics card.

The TNT2, I think. I had several of the Vodoo cards as well, but I can't remember what came first.

Also, I have that 260x. You'll like it.

Jonnax

First Card was an ATI All-in-wonder 128 with Composite, S-video and analogue TV input.
Then a Nvidia TNT2.
Followed by a Nvidia MX440
Then a ATI x1600 (pro or xt, I can't remember)

Then to the current day where I rock a ATI 4870 combined with a Q6600.

To be honest it runs perfectly fine just turn the AA down a bit and it's all good :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I went from a Radeon 9000 (came with stock PC) to a Geforce FX5200, I don't even think it could be considered an upgrade but I knew jackshit back then (only went for it because it had 128mb vs 64mb), went to whatever the Xbox 360 Radeon card was at the time tho x1950 I believe so I consider that my first real card

The first card I ever bought for a computer was a 9400GT in 2008. I upgraded a month later when the 9500GT was on sale for $40 on Newegg. From there I went to a Radeon HD 4670 which kept overheating and so I went back to the 9500. Then I got a laptop with a Radeon HD 7690m XT, which was a pain in the ass because HP didn't ever release new drivers for it. Then this December I got my new laptop with a GTX 770m in it, and it's amazing.

cameron

My first card was the Voodoo Banshee
i2hrj5vXohRHW.jpg

I didn't know much about computers back then. Wanted to play Need For Speed 2 and Incoming. Was told I needed a 2D and 3D card.

kris.

Banned
i can't remember but i think it was a GeForce 2. i think. i dunno.

now i got dis baby, just bought her in january and she's been reeeal good to me

nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-evga.png

Haha ATI All-in-wonder cards. Damn I had like 3 of those too. I forgot about them. Shit I've owned a lot of graphics cards in my day.

nullpoynter

My first real graphics card was a Hercules Geforce 256 DDR in the first computer I built solely by myself. I believe that was back around 1998 or so. I had something before that. I think maybe a Matrox.

Kysen

TNT Riva -> Geforce 2MX -> 6800GT -> 8600GT -> 8800GTX -> 460GTX -> 580GTX. Still remember the huge disappointment that star wars(1st movie) didn't run on my pc due to lacking hardware acceleration. The same happened again with splinter cell 1, was trying to run the demo that came with PC magazine.

Top Bottom